Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welding respirator, Is Niosh TC-84-2460 what I want?
blabla914
post Mar 12 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #1

I like primer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,740
Region Association: None

I'm looking for a respirator to wear while welding. I am specifically concerned about gasses released as a result of zinc coatings on the parts being welded. I've found what looks to be a decent respirator rated NIOSH TC-84A-2460. I went to the NIOSH page and looked up the TC-84A spec. It appears these are strictly particulate filters. It is specifically listed as effective against Iron Oxide, Copper dust, and insecticide. I can't find anything about Zinc.

It seems to me if it is effective against airborne Iron Oxide particles, it is probably going to filter out zinc particles too. I would think the particles released would be of similar size and when it comes to particulate filters go, size matters.

Who out there has a welding respirator? What's it rated? Why did you pick that respirator?

Thanks for the help.

Kelly
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charliew
post Mar 12 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I don't know about welding respirators but you can call the welding supply or look online. The problem with the zinc is it really screws up the weld. It needs to be all sanded or ground off before the welding in that area begins. It will be terribly porous as you will find out if you don't get it off. It will also spatter and clog the nozzle really bad.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 12 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Zinc is bad ju-ju to inhale to be sure. Can lead to foundry sickness.

However, for a 914, there is very little that is galvanized.

If you are worried about fumes, just make sure you have good ventilation where you are welding.

Now, if you are not welding on a 914, and are welding on galvanized metal, that is a different story.

Zach
+Quote Post
charliew
post Mar 12 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

A problem with mig welding is you can't blow air across the welding or the gas shield will not work and the weld bead will be very porous.
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Mar 12 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #5

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740
Region Association: None

True the 914 is not galvanized, but the zinc rich weld-thru primers are almost as bad as galvanized.

I agree, trying to actually weld on "weld-thru" primer generally just makes a mess with a lot of spatter and weld porosity. I'm finding that even if I clean the area being welded the some of the zinc rich primer is still being vaporized in the heat affected zone. Bad.

Ventilation is a must, but when it's 5F outside it's not so fun to just open all the doors and run a fan. A small opening on one window and a few inches under one door makes for some decent ventillation, but when you have your head stuck in the foot well it's not doing much for you.

That's why I'd like the respirator.

kelly
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:43 AM