Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding respirator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blabla914
I'm looking for a respirator to wear while welding. I am specifically concerned about gasses released as a result of zinc coatings on the parts being welded. I've found what looks to be a decent respirator rated NIOSH TC-84A-2460. I went to the NIOSH page and looked up the TC-84A spec. It appears these are strictly particulate filters. It is specifically listed as effective against Iron Oxide, Copper dust, and insecticide. I can't find anything about Zinc.

It seems to me if it is effective against airborne Iron Oxide particles, it is probably going to filter out zinc particles too. I would think the particles released would be of similar size and when it comes to particulate filters go, size matters.

Who out there has a welding respirator? What's it rated? Why did you pick that respirator?

Thanks for the help.

Kelly
charliew
I don't know about welding respirators but you can call the welding supply or look online. The problem with the zinc is it really screws up the weld. It needs to be all sanded or ground off before the welding in that area begins. It will be terribly porous as you will find out if you don't get it off. It will also spatter and clog the nozzle really bad.
VaccaRabite
Zinc is bad ju-ju to inhale to be sure. Can lead to foundry sickness.

However, for a 914, there is very little that is galvanized.

If you are worried about fumes, just make sure you have good ventilation where you are welding.

Now, if you are not welding on a 914, and are welding on galvanized metal, that is a different story.

Zach
charliew
A problem with mig welding is you can't blow air across the welding or the gas shield will not work and the weld bead will be very porous.
blabla914
True the 914 is not galvanized, but the zinc rich weld-thru primers are almost as bad as galvanized.

I agree, trying to actually weld on "weld-thru" primer generally just makes a mess with a lot of spatter and weld porosity. I'm finding that even if I clean the area being welded the some of the zinc rich primer is still being vaporized in the heat affected zone. Bad.

Ventilation is a must, but when it's 5F outside it's not so fun to just open all the doors and run a fan. A small opening on one window and a few inches under one door makes for some decent ventillation, but when you have your head stuck in the foot well it's not doing much for you.

That's why I'd like the respirator.

kelly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.