Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halon fire extinuisher, where to put securely?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 19 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

I know for certain that asking where (and how) to secure a Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment will bring forth no smart-aleck, sarcastic or irreverent replies from anyone who frequents this Forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Drilling holes in newly restored footwell, tunnel or dash areas is not what I care to do. Nor do I want it stuffed and padded behind the seat. If you carry a F/E in your original and/or concours 914, what have you done to secure it? And even if you don't yet carry a F/E (why not?), got any creative ideas for placement?

Thanks.

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mskala
post Mar 20 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #2

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Did you expect anyone to tell you to search the numerous earlier threads where this was discussed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 20 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

most mounted it right in front of the pass seat against the crossmember by extending brackets forward from the seat bracket. That way it was hidden away and no holes were drilled in the car.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 20 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mskala @ Mar 20 2009, 08:06 AM) *

Did you expect anyone to tell you to search the numerous earlier threads where this was discussed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I brought this very question up a year or two ago, and never got an answer that was useful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 20 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 20 2009, 11:42 AM) *

most mounted it right in front of the pass seat against the crossmember by extending brackets forward from the seat bracket. That way it was hidden away and no holes were drilled in the car.

The car in question is a '70. No moveable passenger seat on 70s and 71s. (Of course George knows that, as well as about 90% of the folks who visit this Forum.)
I really don't want to drill holes on the transverse, structural member located just in front of the seat.

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 20 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I just let mine rattle around behind the passenger seat.

I know that doesn't help you, and I'm very sorry to hijack this thread, but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Sorry Paul - bolt it to that new dash!
Pat

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 20 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 20 2009, 04:03 PM) *

................. but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Pat

Availability for new and renewal at aviation hardware providers. Found a vendor not too far from where I live, on the east side of Cincinnati.

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 20 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:11 PM) *

................. but how does one get a halon extinguisher recharged? Supposedly, these things are verbotten.

Pat

Availability for new and renewal at aviation hardware providers. Found a vendor not too far from where I live, on the east side of Cincinnati.

Paul

Hmmm, 600 miles to rechage? I dunno?

Back to your original post.....

You are either going to have to wedge it someplace, drill someplace, or apply velcro someplace. I don't see any other options for a 70. Quite frankly, I wouldn't do any for your 914. Trust it to the gods. I mean, it's totally new!
Pat
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Mar 20 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Pat

I can't put it on the dash, there's no room after I get the Valentine detector, the Garmin GPS navigation system and the XM satellite adapter that is being wired into the Bang & Olefson, 12 speaker system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Actually, velcro might be an idea if it will hold the weight/mass of the F/E. Thanks for the idea.

Paul
+Quote Post
mskala
post Mar 20 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #10

R

On a '70. Here is a bracket that doesn't require any new holes.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mskala
post Mar 20 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #11

R

... Then, you put a piece of old headliner under it and an extra piece of
vinyl over the front support bar, and ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 20 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:33 PM) *

Pat

I can't put it on the dash, there's no room after I get the Valentine detector, the Garmin GPS navigation system and the XM satellite adapter that is being wired into the Bang & Olefson, 12 speaker system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Actually, velcro might be an idea if it will hold the weight/mass of the F/E. Thanks for the idea.

Paul

I really should mention, given this Forum, that whatever you do is non-original. As the former Moderator, and since there is no current one, I just felt it my duty
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 21 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

I bent a thin strip of metal about 20ga, 1" wide, and about a foot long. I bent one end over the cross support in the floor under the seat, and the other end wraps under the extinguisher. NO screws or anything holding it, it simply rests in place. This way it sits neatly on the floor, partially hidden by the passenger seat. Its also easily accessible if God forbid it's ever needed! Here's the best I can do for a diagram:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Mar 22 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #14

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 21 2009, 07:27 PM) *

I bent a thin strip of metal about 20ga, 1" wide, and about a foot long. I bent one end over the cross support in the floor under the seat, and the other end wraps under the extinguisher. NO screws or anything holding it, it simply rests in place. This way it sits neatly on the floor, partially hidden by the passenger seat. Its also easily accessible if God forbid it's ever needed! Here's the best I can do for a diagram:

Clever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Let us know how it works. Any chance of it popping out going over a bump?
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 22 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Nope, doesn't come loose over bumps or anything. If you want to be extra secure, you can make 2 straps and space them out on the extinguisher.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 22 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 20 2009, 06:33 PM) *

Pat

Paul

I'd do away with the Valentine. You drive so slowly that it's unnessecary. The Garmin I'd keep - old people need to know how to get home. The B & O is really necessary for someone who is hearing impaired, so keep it.

ps for those who think I'm being cruel. Paul is my best bud. We jibe each other frequently - I usually win. So don't get a hair up your A_s - we're friends, and he deserves it.
Pat
+Quote Post
Racer
post Mar 24 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Why not put it in the front trunk? More than likely the fire will be behind you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Mar 25 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Because you are wasting a few precious seconds opening your front trunk to go get the extinguisher, and what if your trunk release breaks? Better off having the extinguisher easily accessible to you inside the car.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #19

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 19 2009, 08:33 PM) *

I know for certain that asking where (and how) to secure a Halon fire extinguisher in the passenger compartment will bring forth no smart-aleck, sarcastic or irreverent replies from anyone who frequents this Forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Drilling holes in newly restored footwell, tunnel or dash areas is not what I care to do. Nor do I want it stuffed and padded behind the seat. If you carry a F/E in your original and/or concours 914, what have you done to secure it? And even if you don't yet carry a F/E (why not?), got any creative ideas for placement?

Thanks.

Paul

I could be wrong god knows I am alot! But halon is not what you want in your car that is for a fuel or oil fires and will do nothing for an electrical fire.Halon takes all the air from the surounding area and if it happens to go off inside the car with you in it you cant breath.If you want a fire bottle in your car use a A.B.C. bottle its safer and works for all type`s of fires A.B.C. D rated bottle will work for magnesium products and Titanium....Thats why theres no helon bottles in race cars
+Quote Post
smg914
post Mar 25 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I keep a 1.4 pound Amerex HALOTRON extinguisher in my car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:27 PM