Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA, E-Mod
Randal
post Mar 20 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

Ok seriously, you could build a 914 to compete at the nationals, but only if one would be willing to spend some serious cash, just like the competition.

To be competitive you'd need a big 6 (375-400 hp) coupled with the right transmission/gearing and tire combination. JP's two speed approach would work great.

Actually the Beast would be a good starting point, although maybe a bit heavy, but the big motor/transmission combinations are right now sitting up in Reno.

Like a 400HP-normally aspirated 6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 20 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

IMO, you reach a point where HP becomes less important than light weight & grip.
If you look at the results of the last Nationals you'll see that the quickest D Mod car WAXED the top E mod rig. So, get down to minimum weight & finger out a good way to get some super soft radial slicks under the car & git down on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 20 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 20 2009, 11:38 AM) *

IMO, you reach a point where HP becomes less important than light weight & grip.
If you look at the results of the last Nationals you'll see that the quickest D Mod car WAXED the top E mod rig. So, get down to minimum weight & finger out a good way to get some super soft radial slicks under the car & git down on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Interesting - So Hoosier (?) radial slicks, soft compound, but what size for front/back?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 20 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 20 2009, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 20 2009, 11:38 AM) *

Interesting - So Hoosier (?) radial slicks, soft compound, but what size for front/back? Which compound is softest JP?

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 20 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #5

Irrelevant old fart

R25s in Hoosier. Believe me, Iff'n I could figure out a way to get them on my car, I'd have done it. The rears are a piece of cake......several sizes with several wheels widths.....10 or 12 inch. My problem is the fronts. The smallest recommended wheel width is 10 inches. I already know those won't work up front....to much scrub radius and I can't get them inboard far enough to get rid of that.....the shocks get in the way. Of course the tiars cost 100 bucks apiece more than the bias jobbies.

That said, I am pretty sure that Brit could trophy in the car as is at the Nats....if he would get over the chokes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 20 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I think them Lotus's have got it covered pretty well.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 20 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 20 2009, 05:12 PM) *

R25s in Hoosier. Believe me, Iff'n I could figure out a way to get them on my car, I'd have done it. The rears are a piece of cake......several sizes with several wheels widths.....10 or 12 inch. My problem is the fronts. The smallest recommended wheel width is 10 inches. I already know those won't work up front....to much scrub radius and I can't get them inboard far enough to get rid of that.....the shocks get in the way. Of course the tiars cost 100 bucks apiece more than the bias jobbies.

That said, I am pretty sure that Brit could trophy in the car as is at the Nats....if he would get over the chokes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Love your car but I doubt it. As Paul said, the Lotus' have it well covered and there are so many other cars in that class that are very well prepaired with much more modern everything. You have set up your car well for competition locally but once you go to the main stage it is a whole new world. Come up to a Bremerton SCCA event when all the National winners are there and run your car with them. They'll show you where you stand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I get blown away watching some of them run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Sadly 914s in SCCA are hard to prepair in any of the mod classes. Leeds car is a great example of that. He has over 200k in R&D in that car and still not where it needs to be to be a winner today. When Greg and Jodi won in that car it was where it needed to be but in todays game not so much. I am sure Leeds Boxster will be there though. They have been working on it for long enough.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 20 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 20 2009, 06:10 PM) *

You would be mistaken. One Lotus clone trophied in E Mod.....3rd place, 5 sec back over 2 days or 2.5 sec per day.

The fastest SS car would have taken 3rd in E Mod less than 2.0 sec back over 2 days... 1 sec per day. Brit beat the best SS car at the NT event we attended by .5 sec on the first day.....there is room there...with no chokes. A lot of "ifs" here, but room.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 20 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 20 2009, 07:03 PM) *

Love your car but I doubt it. As Paul said, the Lotus' have it well covered and there are so many other cars in that class that are very well prepaired with much more modern everything. You have set up your car well for competition locally but once you go to the main stage it is a whole new world. Come up to a Bremerton SCCA event when all the National winners are there and run your car with them. They'll show you where you stand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I get blown away watching some of them run (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Sadly 914s in SCCA are hard to prepair in any of the mod classes. Leeds car is a great example of that. He has over 200k in R&D in that car and still not where it needs to be to be a winner today. When Greg and Jodi won in that car it was where it needed to be but in todays game not so much. I am sure Leeds Boxster will be there though. They have been working on it for long enough.

Sure, we've gone to the National Tour events at Packwood the last 2 years. 2nd last year (2007) due to the rain, 1st this year (2008) in E Mod. We need to go to NWRPCA to see where we stand? How many of those guys won their classes at the NT? Barstow beat Brit on day one by a .5 sec. Brit choked on day 2 running 2.5 sec slower on day 2.

We will settle this up at the Shoot Out. You wanna see the box run before that, get off your net horse & get up to Packwood some day. You sound like them GGR guys prior to the first Shoot Out. Ya'll are AX center of the world....NW version, eh?
We've run aginst the NWSCCA guys at their one of their events at Packwood. Some quick guys.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 21 2009, 06:43 AM
Post #10

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

SO why not run upper and lower control arms up front? It certainly can't be that hard. Benefits is you get to set the tire where you want it. you get to run WAY better shocks, camber gain and other suspension geometry stuff if done right would certainly benefit.

I would love to graft in a Miata or RX-7 3rd gen rear suspension as well.

Now you would be able to put down all the power you can make.

Driver Driver Driver
My old co-driver was consitently 2 seconds faster than me. He was pretty damn close to the top XP car on day 2 of the last Houston NT.
Very inconsistant driver that could pull a fast run out of his ass. In fact he pulled one out so quick that the timing table gave him a re-run. In car video said he did it but the scoring table wasn't interested. They said you back it up and you can have it.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 21 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 21 2009, 05:43 AM) *

SO why not run upper and lower control arms up front? It certainly can't be that hard.

It certainly would be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .....and if it weren't, I'd make it so.

At best one would have to fab a whole new sub frame....after one chose which suspension to use. A Boxster/996 front end looks as if it would match up closest...keeping struts. I an't that good....."A man's got to know his limitations."
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 21 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

So why are radial slicks so much better than bias ply? Is it that they deform less?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 21 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 20 2009, 06:10 PM) *

At Trekkor's first Infineon A/X school I took an instruction ride in a new Lotus.

The driver was quite good - on the other hand the car's handling was simply stunning. It just went everywhere he pointed it and with minimal effort.

I was impressed.

And he wasn't running a big tire combination.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 21 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #14

Irrelevant old fart

The R25 compounds are not widely available ....more sizes in radials and a better match to car weight. The bias ply R25s are for Formula Atlantic cars which come in at around 1100 lbs. The fronts need a 10 inch wheel and the rears 14 inch.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 21 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 20 2009, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 20 2009, 07:03 PM) *

Sure, we've gone to the National Tour events at Packwood the last 2 years. 2nd last year (2007) due to the rain, 1st this year (2008) in E Mod. We need to go to NWRPCA to see where we stand? How many of those guys won their classes at the NT? Barstow beat Brit on day one by a .5 sec. Brit choked on day 2 running 2.5 sec slower on day 2.

We will settle this up at the Shoot Out. You wanna see the box run before that, get off your net horse & get up to Packwood some day. You sound like them GGR guys prior to the first Shoot Out. Ya'll are AX center of the world....NW version, eh?
We've run aginst the NWSCCA guys at their one of their events at Packwood. Some quick guys.

I'm not talking about Pac Nationals. I am talking about the finals in Kansas. Plus, I'm not sounding like the GGR guys as I am not claiming I am one of these fast guys. The guys up here have the National wins to prove they are what they are. The Colmans, Fordahls, Brown, Bauers and others.... All have won nationals in Pacwood and then Kansas. Some of them multiple years.

I would love to come down before the shootout. I just don't know if the funds are going to permit that right now unless I make a few sales here real quick. I am trying though.

Britt beating Barstow would say something but he didn't. Still, car VS car a true E mod car should kill your car. It's true that the car only gets you so far as yu need to have the driver to complete the package. Again, not trying to bash your car as you have done so much great things to it. Just stating the paper facts.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 21 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Ran ab SCCA practice day today. It was sunny & gettin' warm as I loaded the car about 11:00 AM. We were in the first afternoon group.....clouds are gathering. We get staged & go thru the preliminary BS......rain drops are increasing......SHIT!

Lemme tell ya, slicks & an open car are not the hot ticket in the rain. I'm settin' in the lanes with a bathtowel draped over my helmet & steering wheel. The rain quit
after my second slideathon. At least I was more comfortable.....
That was the only run group that got rained on.....figures.

BTW, don't be a chump, Jon, if "paper" was all it took we could mail in our times.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 22 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #17

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

JP that is some funny shit about "paper racing"

Had a great day at our little postage stamp of a lot that is more gravel pit and black top.

Found I had more traction and control running in 3rd gear. Had FTD sewed up till my buddy jumped in a guys new CSP Miata with new Ho's FUK that car is fast.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 22 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 22 2009, 05:33 PM) *

JP that is some funny shit about "paper racing"

Had a great day at our little postage stamp of a lot that is more gravel pit and black top.

Found I had more traction and control running in 3rd gear. Had FTD sewed up till my buddy jumped in a guys new CSP Miata with new Ho's FUK that car is fast.

Hey Joe, did the cf covers come out ok when you put them on the car?

+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Mar 22 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 21 2009, 06:23 PM) *

Ran ab SCCA practice day today. It was sunny & gettin' warm as I loaded the car about 11:00 AM. We were in the first afternoon group.....clouds are gathering. We get staged & go thru the preliminary BS......rain drops are increasing......SHIT!

Lemme tell ya, slicks & an open car are not the hot ticket in the rain. I'm settin' in the lanes with a bathtowel draped over my helmet & steering wheel. The rain quit
after my second slideathon. At least I was more comfortable.....
That was the only run group that got rained on.....figures.

BTW, don't be a chump, Jon, if "paper" was all it took we could mail in our times.

Paper racing? They're called results and proof. Carry much more weight than talk. Sure, it is best to get out there and AX every chance you can. I have twice so far this year without my car but seat time is seat time. I can't wait to get my car finished (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Should be ready to go for the next event and then I can get it ready for when we meet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 22 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #20

Irrelevant old fart

OH, you want results? From 2007 ....the last time we ran with NW SCCA.
1,2,4,& 5 were open wheel cars.

1 Gary Milligan TOAM 58.600
2 Joe Cheng TOAM 62.449
3 Ron Bauer OPAX 62.730
4 Sheldon Lemoine OPAX 63.468
5 Ernest Fanthorpe OPAX 63.553
6 Ron Bauer TOPM 63.618
7 Britain Smith TOPM 63.989
8 Mark Snell NS1 64.063
9 Stacey Molleker NS1 64.160
10 Jim Daniels OPAX 64.274
11 Glen Hernandez OPAX 64.705
12 Fastmike Lillejord OPAX 64.889
13 Navid Kahangi S2 65.343
14 Warren Hope OPAX 65.343
15 Tami Daniels TOPM 65.404
16 Kevin Dietz OPAX 65.511
17 Laura Molleker NS1L 65.568
18 Paul Marshall TOPM 65.619
19 Brett Wilson SM2 65.709
20 Jared Floyd SM2 65

166 others including me....
You got any other questions?
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:13 PM