Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thoughts on ageing, When is it time ti call it quits?
Pat Garvey
post Mar 23 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I bring this thread up on this forum because it's the forum I came to originally.

We, who have owned these beasts for many years (37 in my case) must reach a point where we have to consider moving on. Not all, but I personally am having questions about this.

I bring this up here because I am a CW & will always be.

But, I have been thinking lately (six months or so) - is it time to put 2 nice cars into someone else's responsibility?

I keep buying new parts, but never get around to installing them. Hell, I don't even need them!

But, in the last year my interest is wanning. I don't have the physical capabilities to do what I used to, and I won't pay someone else to do what I KNOW how to do. I also have other interests, namely model railroading, which I've been involved in since before Porsches (do I sound like Jon Lowe?).

I also don't have the urgency to do anything on the Porsches. I just don't think I care anymore, at least not enough. Used to be, when the garage temp rose above 50, I was there. Not any more.

So, I'm asking for some opinions here. I will take all of them seriously.

Should I get out? I'm inclined to do so. Can something re-awake the fire? I wonder.

Your opinions are appreciated & welcomed. I'm on the brink.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 23 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Pat come up to the Zone 1 this year in May. Maybe that will rekindle some of the spark your looking for. How about taking it out for a long drive. Just had mine out the past two days. Lots of fun. When they are just sitting there collecting dust, the interest's goes else where. Drive it and enjoy it. I was getting burned out on working on them too. But now that's it's on the road, it's worth the effort. If it's any consolation, I'm limited what I can do as well, due to a bad back and neck injury. I still work on it, just takes me 10x longer than most hehe. 2 hour drive is tops for me. So don't let it go yet Pat. When you can't drive it anymore, then consider it. Will be in better care with you than with most new owners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
Was also thinking about taking a break from 914's and trying something else. Maybe a Lotus Esprit, 240z, or TR6.
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Mar 23 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #3

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573
Region Association: South East States

...I believe that you are near my age...I was born in 1949.
Porsches have been in my blood since about 1960...but at the core, I've also had the itch for Alfas, since about the same time.
I have a 72 911 I drove for 12 years sitting in front of the garage as my next project, maybe not.

I'm blowin out money left and right to complete my car by August. I told my wife I either get it running or sell it. I have placed all the little things that matter to me into it. I'm looking for an overall feel to the car.
I too went through what you feel about two years ago. I felt like purging everything, to peel back the dead skin like the layers of an onion, until a new raw need would be exposed. A heart attack, last September cleared my views somewhat, and I decided to complete it. Whether it fulfills some need or not won't be known until I fire this baby up. I recently had a veiw of what I was missing when I drove my friends' 300 hp Audi TT. I want to finish it for sure now. I may not have 300 hp, 190-210 will do me just fine. 300 HP will beat me on straights but I will be all over its' ass by the exit of the second turn.
I have sacrificed alot of my own needs because of my kids and stuff. It's my turn now and whatever I want, if I can afford it, I plan to simply do it.
My new motto is GO FOR IT.
I guess that this is a long winded way to say, whatever you feel you want, focus on it, to hell with everyone else. Build a train, build a 550 replica, or whatever.
When I returned to CONUS while in the military, I asked myself, what is it that I've always wanted to do. I said, I've always wanted to scuba dive.
I became a Divemaster, carried NAUI and PADI.
Desire...passion...sometimes is hidden away...go find it....
Dave
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 23 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 05:25 PM) *

I bring this thread up on this forum because it's the forum I came to originally.

We, who have owned these beasts for many years (37 in my case) must reach a point where we have to consider moving on. Not all, but I personally am having questions about this.

But, I have been thinking lately (six months or so) - is it time to put 2 nice cars into someone else's responsibility?

I keep buying new parts, but never get around to installing them. Hell, I don't even need them!

But, in the last year my interest is wanning. I don't have the physical capabilities to do what I used to, and I won't pay someone else to do what I KNOW how to do. I also have other interests, namely model railroading, which I've been involved in since before Porsches (do I sound like Jon Lowe?).

I also don't have the urgency to do anything on the Porsches. I just don't think I care anymore, at least not enough. Used to be, when the garage temp rose above 50, I was there. Not any more.

Should I get out? I'm inclined to do so. Can something re-awake the fire? I wonder.

Hi Pat,

I have the answer!!! Change the thoughts in your head, forget your CW past and start enjoying your 914. You spend too much time thinking you need to keep the car in museum condition. In the big picture no one really cares what condition your 914 will be like in 10-years. Enjoy it and don't worry about getting it dirty or a little road grime on it. It's all in you head my friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Now having said this, I hope your still my best 914 buddy. Life is short, so stop worrying about the little things. Follow in my foot steps and drill (3) holes in the rear trunk area and install a fog light like mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) It feels good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Your buddy, I mean it.

Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Mar 23 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #5

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

Pat, I certainly don't know you at all and yet for the year plus that I surfed this site before I joined I've read many of your posts. Both the passion and commitment you have to your car, and 914s in general, is obvious.

Ultimately the right choice is the one which will make you happiest. But, for what its worth, here's my 2 cents (well, mine are Canadian so I'll give you a dime); for most of your ownership much of your joy has come from maintaining your car to show standards. And you've loved it. So now maybe you have neither the time nor inclination to continue that path. Nothing wrong with that.

You don't owe your car a thing; from where I sit it owes you. So why not just enjoy it for awhile for what it is. Go drive the hell out of it for the summer. Screw the rain. The odd stone chip? Pfft! Let it pay you back for all your hard work.

Then, if the joy just ain't there, sell it to someone you're comfortable with and enjoy the memories.

m.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 23 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #6

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Do what makes you happy and your family happy and dont worrie about what we think.As long as your here to keep use all strait and giving your great input and advise.Im good with that!I got my car from a dear friend of mine that was older and tired of wrenching on it.He now drives a car hes wanted for many years and is very happy with it .He see` my car(or his) all the time when he comes over for B-days and holidays and he knows all he has todo is ask for the keys to go for a spin (instant grin from him) and thats all he needs he know its got a good home and its not a bad trade for a day when i get to drive a new Z06..so do what you need to do............you know whats best and youve earned the right to jump ship if you see fit....Best wishes in whatever you do
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 24 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

I too of course have made a lifetime commitment to the 914 and will NEVER be without one. One of the things that continues to rekindle my interest is owning and enjoying a different kind of car. Those other cars make me look back at the 914 and actually appreciate it much more, as some say "variety is the spice of life"

The car shows always do it because it gives one the opportunity to reflect upon the cleanliness and perfection of the 914 and try to bring it to the next higher level, enjoying the pickiness of perfection. I always find SOMETHING that I really enjoy improving, or that special part to search for that just makes the car so much more special to me.
I am just a 914 kind of guy and that commitment has changed and conditioned my life to be what I am (good or bad!!!!)
Pat I could just not imagine you without a 914 even if it is only a car in your garage that you occasionally remove the cover and wink at! The car has been part of your life and needs to continue to be. (just look at the car and remember the last twenty plus years of your life!!)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 24 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

When is it time to call it quits?

I'd say a week or two after you're dead ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But then again, compared to you, i'm still young, so i don't really know what i'm talking about.

I'm just glad to see some of the "old folks" around here. Makes me feel better about growing old.

It would be sad to see you leave us ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Sarastro
post Mar 24 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,103

Interesting.

You have owned a car for 37 years and only now want to dispose of it.

I should speculate that if indeed you let this car go now (the 914), there will come a time when you regret it.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 24 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

I made a bad mistake like this when in 1987 I sold my dads original paint pristine (but higher mile) buick riviera. Thought that totally involved with Porsche I had no business with a Riviera even though I went down to the dealer with him in May of 1964. Even had the factory plaque "Riviera made expressly for G A Hussey (dad and I had the same name) My reasoning was that the engine was worn out and I could not make the brakes right no matter how hard I tried, and for the price I was getting could buy a 65 (which I liked better) with air conditioning. Long story short within a year I missed the car bought my 65 put a lot of money in it (much more that the money for which my Dad's car sold) and no longer had the family car.
Years later (2001) I was lucky when the dilapidated car showed up here at Automobile Atlanta with a rebuilt engine and I bought it back for 3500, but then had to spend 30 on the car to bring it up to my standards.
The moral of the story is that when you have a long history with a car it becomes a very personal thing and it should NEVER be sold as it is part of your life. My family Rivera is proudly in the Garage with a flannel cover over it, I have the original window sticker the original bill of sale from the Buick dealer to my dad, many family pictures from when I was 12 featuring the car, and that factory plaque is still proudly displayed on the dash. Wish I had a 914 with that intimate history!!!!!!

PAT ARE YOU READING?????
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 24 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 24 2009, 01:32 PM) *

I made a bad mistake like this when in 1987 I sold my dads original paint pristine (but higher mile) buick riviera. Thought that totally involved with Porsche I had no business with a Riviera even though I went down to the dealer with him in May of 1964. Even had the factory plaque "Riviera made expressly for G A Hussey (dad and I had the same name) My reasoning was that the engine was worn out and I could not make the brakes right no matter how hard I tried, and for the price I was getting could buy a 65 (which I liked better) with air conditioning. Long story short within a year I missed the car bought my 65 put a lot of money in it (much more that the money for which my Dad's car sold) and no longer had the family car.
Years later (2001) I was lucky when the dilapidated car showed up here at Automobile Atlanta with a rebuilt engine and I bought it back for 3500, but then had to spend 30 on the car to bring it up to my standards.
The moral of the story is that when you have a long history with a car it becomes a very personal thing and it should NEVER be sold as it is part of your life. My family Rivera is proudly in the Garage with a flannel cover over it, I have the original window sticker the original bill of sale from the Buick dealer to my dad, many family pictures from when I was 12 featuring the car, and that factory plaque is still proudly displayed on the dash. Wish I had a 914 with that intimate history!!!!!!

PAT ARE YOU READING?????

George I am touched by your message & hope Pat is listening.

I too have a story to tell & it hangs heavy on my heart. I can't begain to shout loud enough, don't sell it. Let the family dispose of it when you leave this earth. As a kid I was into 1939 FORDS & my 1st. Conv. Cpe (see pic, chopped top & behind the garage) I sold in a weak moment. I vowed to myself to get another. The 2nd 1939 Conv. Cpe. (see photo) came along when my first child (my son Tom) was born. The night he was born I called friends to tell them I was a dad. One friend had a 39 conv. Cpe I lusted after & when I called him to give the news of our first born, he said he was putting his car on the market and if I wanted it say so right now, because there was a waiting list. That night I visited my wife in the hospital & we were holding young Tom and I told my wife I bought him a present. She said what??? It's a 1939 FORD Conv. Cpe. she was too tired to say no & that car was with me over 30-years. Again in a weak moment I sold it and till this day my heart is heavy. My son told me later in life, why did I sell it, he wanted to inherit it. If only I had known!!! BTW: The grandkids get my 914, not sure which one yet.

Pat, we are concerned about you!!! Don't sell & stay on course.

Tom, your 914 buddy.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Mar 24 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #12

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573
Region Association: South East States

...I have a picture of my daughter standing in the drivers' seat and holding onto the steering wheel of my 73. She was 2 years old then.
I bought the 74 in 1995, when she was 5 years old.
I have pictures of her at 12 years old, helping me clean the engine bay, preparing the rear wheel wells and recently cleaning the firewall inside the passenger compartment with the wire wheel. She's always talking about "when we drive this...or "when we go there"...it's about just the two of us and the 74 914. She's 17 years old now and anxious as I am to get it finished (within the next three or four months). She also talks about helping me prepare the body for primer and paint, and says..."it's finally almost done!"
She once said, a couple of years ago, you'll probably finish it when I get my drivers license. Well, she was correct. Most likely, the car will be hers someday.
Probably sooner than later....Dave
+Quote Post
Racer
post Mar 24 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My dad has owned his "6" since 1970. He's never thought of selling it. He's owned many other Porsches over the years but his six will not be sold. His interests have been varied over the years.. still he kept it. He may not have driven it at all some years, other than to top off the gas tank and put air in the tires.. other years he enjoyed it so much he wondered why he didn't drive it more. These things should ebb and flow a bit.

It sounds to me that if your desire is currently waning, put the cover back over it and let it sit. You won't be happy selling it because you have way too much emotion connected to owning it for so long. No other owner will be "worthy" enough. This car could (should?) become some other generations "barn find" should you somehow forget about the car or pass on. Keep it!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 24 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #14

I appreciate all the comments thus far - I REALLY do! But nothing seems to incite me.

There are 3 basic problems here:

1. Lacking current interest.
2. I can on my creeper easilly enough, but getting off of it is almost embarassing.
3. Eyes (and this is the worst). Have aproblem with serious floaters for the last 2 years. Not debillitating, but close. I've said this before & this is just what it's like - watch an open wheeled race on TV. All cars have cameras. When the lens gets full of crud, they wipe it - goes away for a few laps. With me, it's like they wipe it backwards, bringing all the crud back in. Optho says "it's part of ageing" and there are things that CAN be attempted, but can result in total blindness if they don't work. Believe me, this is the biggest bummer, which causes me to think it's time to move on.

Haven't come to total grips with this, but it does give me concern.

I'll respond to some/all of you also.
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 24 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 23 2009, 08:04 PM) *

Pat come up to the Zone 1 this year in May. Maybe that will rekindle some of the spark your looking for. How about taking it out for a long drive. Just had mine out the past two days. Lots of fun. When they are just sitting there collecting dust, the interest's goes else where. Drive it and enjoy it. I was getting burned out on working on them too. But now that's it's on the road, it's worth the effort. If it's any consolation, I'm limited what I can do as well, due to a bad back and neck injury. I still work on it, just takes me 10x longer than most hehe. 2 hour drive is tops for me. So don't let it go yet Pat. When you can't drive it anymore, then consider it. Will be in better care with you than with most new owners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
Was also thinking about taking a break from 914's and trying something else. Maybe a Lotus Esprit, 240z, or TR6.

You make a good point, though the Prince of Darkness (Lucas electrics) scares me.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 24 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(dlestep @ Mar 23 2009, 08:38 PM) *

...I believe that you are near my age...I was born in 1949.
Porsches have been in my blood since about 1960...but at the core, I've also had the itch for Alfas, since about the same time.
I have a 72 911 I drove for 12 years sitting in front of the garage as my next project, maybe not.

I'm blowin out money left and right to complete my car by August. I told my wife I either get it running or sell it. I have placed all the little things that matter to me into it. I'm looking for an overall feel to the car.
I too went through what you feel about two years ago. I felt like purging everything, to peel back the dead skin like the layers of an onion, until a new raw need would be exposed. A heart attack, last September cleared my views somewhat, and I decided to complete it. Whether it fulfills some need or not won't be known until I fire this baby up. I recently had a veiw of what I was missing when I drove my friends' 300 hp Audi TT. I want to finish it for sure now. I may not have 300 hp, 190-210 will do me just fine. 300 HP will beat me on straights but I will be all over its' ass by the exit of the second turn.
I have sacrificed alot of my own needs because of my kids and stuff. It's my turn now and whatever I want, if I can afford it, I plan to simply do it.
My new motto is GO FOR IT.
I guess that this is a long winded way to say, whatever you feel you want, focus on it, to hell with everyone else. Build a train, build a 550 replica, or whatever.
When I returned to CONUS while in the military, I asked myself, what is it that I've always wanted to do. I said, I've always wanted to scuba dive.
I became a Divemaster, carried NAUI and PADI.
Desire...passion...sometimes is hidden away...go find it....
Dave

Dude, the passion is there. Just not certain where. Right now, it isn't 914 passion. Not early 911 pssion either.

I haven't sacrificed anything, because we couldn't have kids. I also haven't had a heart attack. Hope you are well - TRUELY.
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 24 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 23 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Hi Pat,

I have the answer!!! Change the thoughts in your head, forget your CW past and start enjoying your 914. You spend too much time thinking you need to keep the car in museum condition. In the big picture no one really cares what condition your 914 will be like in 10-years. Enjoy it and don't worry about getting it dirty or a little road grime on it. It's all in you head my friend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Now having said this, I hope your still my best 914 buddy. Life is short, so stop worrying about the little things. Follow in my foot steps and drill (3) holes in the rear trunk area and install a fog light like mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) It feels good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Your buddy, I mean it.

Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Tom, Tom, Tom - you haven't gotten it yet. I can't drill a hole, or even several, in my car - it wouldn't be original. And I'm certain the bit would slip. Oh, and please don't take thins the wrong way, but those rear fogs are ugly (JUST MY opinion).

Now, for what it's worth, I HAVE gone beyond the anal phase. I no longer care if me 914 is caught in the rain. I no longer care if it picks up a rock (shudder).

I do care about it getting off of jackstands & being driven.

Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 24 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 24 2009, 11:47 AM) *

When is it time to call it quits?

I'd say a week or two after you're dead ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But then again, compared to you, i'm still young, so i don't really know what i'm talking about.

I'm just glad to see some of the "old folks" around here. Makes me feel better about growing old.

It would be sad to see you leave us ...

You know Andy, I don't know how to say "rapscallion" in German - but you meet the description.

You guys & rsponses are beginning ti re-inspire me, but we'll see.
Pat
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 24 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 24 2009, 06:44 PM) *

You know Andy, I don't know how to say "rapscallion" in German - but you meet the description.

http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&search=rapscallion

+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 24 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Pat ever thought of putting the car on loan in an auto museum? While it's out, it would give you time to think about how much you miss or don't miss haveing it around.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 12:01 AM