Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Thoughts on ageing, When is it time ti call it quits?
Pat Garvey
post Mar 23 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I bring this thread up on this forum because it's the forum I came to originally.

We, who have owned these beasts for many years (37 in my case) must reach a point where we have to consider moving on. Not all, but I personally am having questions about this.

I bring this up here because I am a CW & will always be.

But, I have been thinking lately (six months or so) - is it time to put 2 nice cars into someone else's responsibility?

I keep buying new parts, but never get around to installing them. Hell, I don't even need them!

But, in the last year my interest is wanning. I don't have the physical capabilities to do what I used to, and I won't pay someone else to do what I KNOW how to do. I also have other interests, namely model railroading, which I've been involved in since before Porsches (do I sound like Jon Lowe?).

I also don't have the urgency to do anything on the Porsches. I just don't think I care anymore, at least not enough. Used to be, when the garage temp rose above 50, I was there. Not any more.

So, I'm asking for some opinions here. I will take all of them seriously.

Should I get out? I'm inclined to do so. Can something re-awake the fire? I wonder.

Your opinions are appreciated & welcomed. I'm on the brink.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
Pat Garvey
post Mar 30 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #41

Ok, I've taken in all the pros & cons of evryone's posts. Some I agree with. Some have pissed me off royally!

Those who think that it's time for me to move on may be closer to my reality.

Those who have tried to goad me into action beacause of what I choose to drive my 3 miles to work have just pissed me off!

I stopped driving VW's because one year of 8K repairs, at 50k miles, made me abandon them. I can't afford Porsche shop repairs for my 911, so it will go. 914's still up in the air, though I'll make a decision soon.

From the time I was 16 I spent a fortune on hot rods, draggers, and sports cars. Some good, mostly money pits. Decided 6 years ago that I was calling and end to it. Too much wated money.

Do I drive a boring car (Sable) - yep. Has it cost me a penny in 6 years - nope. First Ford product. So I got the wife this kickin' Milan Prem, with all its goodies last year. First auto trans car she's ever had. She loves it. SYNC is totally great!
This car is not a Porsche, but last weekend I spent 60 miles on Pa twisties, and it holds its own. Yeah, bitch on me if you wish, it's a nice daily driver, and faultless after a year of driving.

Sometimes, some of us change. I'm anticipating further major changes in the coming year. You can't ask me about those changes, because it would be a political thing & I'm forbidden to discuss them. Been banned once & won't do it again, but you may see some serious changes in my mailing address in the coming year.

In the mean time, I'll give the 914 another year. And I'll put some major effort into it. What I do with it from there - who knows. I still have little interest. 911 will go this spring(late). It's a start.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 31 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #42

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 29 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Lost the passion?

You'd lose your enthusiasm too, Scotty, if all you drove to work, ran errands with, and went on vacation in was this....................

Ynow, I let this pass for a few days. Comments are - the Milan makes the vacations & with SYNC it's more than fun. The Sable is just work transportation, all 3 miles of it.

Then I thought - HOLD ON here. The pot calling the kettle black?
Yeah my DD is boring (though carefree), but what about what the kettle drives.

He, who is so quick to call me stodgy, drives a Honda Element? Excuuuuuuse me - the only theing that the Element has over my Sable is that you can hose it out. And, why would you do that in a civilized society.

Did I mention that it is ugly?

People in glass houses.......
+Quote Post
914four
post Mar 31 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 7,582
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 08:25 PM) *

As a relativity new member of this forum (Newbie for over a year and I wonder how long it takes to become a real member) and a 914 owner for about 20 years I really enjoy the information you share with us. You have a wealth of information and share it freely with those of us who were not fortunate enough to be original owners of our 914s.

Most people, especially those of us over 40, seem to change our interests as we age. Water skiing hurts more the day after now and is something I'm not interested in like I was at one time. I'm sure this is an especially hard decision for you to make but you are the only one who knows what is best for you. I know I would have a hard time parting with a car I cared for as well as you have for so many years.

I once read that it takes six months to really know weather you made a good business decision. Someone suggested loaning your car to a museum and maybe that is a viable option. I'm sure AA, Barbers Motor Sports or others would love to have a car such as yours on loan for six months. You might work a deal for six months with an option to sale if you feel it is the best decision for you.

You have been an exemplary steward of your 914 and inspire me to care for my 914 better.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelvin
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 1 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(PH1 @ Mar 31 2009, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 23 2009, 08:25 PM) *

As a relativity new member of this forum (Newbie for over a year and I wonder how long it takes to become a real member) and a 914 owner for about 20 years I really enjoy the information you share with us. You have a wealth of information and share it freely with those of us who were not fortunate enough to be original owners of our 914s.

Most people, especially those of us over 40, seem to change our interests as we age. Water skiing hurts more the day after now and is something I'm not interested in like I was at one time. I'm sure this is an especially hard decision for you to make but you are the only one who knows what is best for you. I know I would have a hard time parting with a car I cared for as well as you have for so many years.

I once read that it takes six months to really know weather you made a good business decision. Someone suggested loaning your car to a museum and maybe that is a viable option. I'm sure AA, Barbers Motor Sports or others would love to have a car such as yours on loan for six months. You might work a deal for six months with an option to sale if you feel it is the best decision for you.

You have been an exemplary steward of your 914 and inspire me to care for my 914 better.

Good luck with your decision.

Kelvin

Kelvin,

First, thank you for joining us! Second, where have you been for the last 20 years?

Now, for all those who've suggested that I loan my 914 to a museum....not going to happen.
I'd rather look at it privately.
Pat

Ps. The 911 is available. It MUST go.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 1 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #45

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Maybe your outlook will change when the you drive your 914? Hopefully? I wish I had some good thoughts on reigniting your interest, but I'm coming up dry.

Not to be chomping at the bit, but about how much are you looking for the longhood Pat?

James
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 1 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Now, for all those who've suggested that I loan my 914 to a museum....not going to happen.
I'd rather look at it privately.
Pat

Ps. The 911 is available. It MUST go.

Sounds like it's time to let it go then Pat. Seems your interest is no longer there. So with that said, how about a Boxster? Very very reasonable in price now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) no more tinkering, much more hp, drive and enjoy.
I bet you could find a real nice one, and still stuff a couple dollars in your pocket with your 914 sale.
+Quote Post
post Apr 2 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 19
Region Association: Southern California

Pat,
Can we see a shot of the 914,911 ? Ive owned my 914 for 38 years,Its like a part of my life..
Take Care,914
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 3 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(914 @ Apr 2 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Pat,
Can we see a shot of the 914,911 ? Ive owned my 914 for 38 years,Its like a part of my life..
Take Care,914

I'll post some shots this weekend of the two. This is NOT and advertisemnt to sell, just some pics. The 911 is "close", but not purely Cardex. Numbers match, but some minor bod modifications, and I mean "minor". Does have a shift linkage problem, which I don't have the upper body strength to deal with.
Pat
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 7 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 6,103

Pat,

This thread has kept me up way past my bedtime. My laptop battery went dead and I had to drive all the way back to work to pick up the charger! Your dilemma has hit me to the core or my being. I too have thought of selling everything and get one nice new, or newer sports car so that I would actually have time to enjoy it rather than labor over preserving, repairing or otherwise obsessing over what most "normal" people would consider an appliance; namely a car. I think my reason is somewhat different from yours; it's a full time job in the warmer months to keep everything I own in operable condition. As usual, problems arise in groups all at the same time. This one has a starting problem, that one needs brakes, another needs new fuel lines, etc. Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and sell the problems to someone else. But, when I get right down to it, I'm emotionally attached to each and every vehicle I own. In the VW Club I'm known as "Dave Keep" because I rarely sell anything. Have you ever thought what it would be like the day you sell your pride and joy and seeing someone else driving away in "your" car?

The real issue for me is that my enthusiasm for preparing a car for full concours judging is at an all time low. In fact, I plan on displaying my car in the Historic portion of the up and coming Porsche Zone One Concours in May. Like you, I go to Hershey every year and don't really need anything. And if I do buy something, it's so trivial I either forget I have it, or forget to install it. But that's really not the point. It's the experience, the people and web sites like this that keep the fire burning.

When I attended the first Zone One Concours 30 years ago I worried about the level of preparation I had done, I worried about the weather situation (I drove my car to the event), I worried about the judging, the car placement in the field, the dust, the pollen, worry, worry worry. It was the most nerve wracking experience I ever had! Now, with age, like you, if it rains, big deal. That's why they put wipers on the car. It's not a physical thing with me, even thought I have floaters too, and my vision up close? Forget it! And yes I too are slower at getting out from under the car. It's that I just don't want to devote the time necessary to prepare a car to that level any more. So, have I lost the fire? Well yeah, if you count not wanting to spend two months cleaning a car. But, I still could not bring myself to sell my 914. When people ask me why I've kept the car so long, I tell them no one was willing to give me enough money to buy a 911. That couldn't be further from the truth. When I finally got my 911 before I was 50 years old I thought this was the end of my love affair with the 914. You know, more power, and it's a 911..............oooooooh! Well, it didn't. I still love the way the 914 looks, sounds and handles. And I'm not selling it.

So, what should you do. Well, I know what you shouldn't do, and that's sell your 914. You will regret it. Yeah, you think you could find another nice car if you wanted to get back into the hobby, but you, of all people, (and I only know you from this forum), will never find a nicer car than you already own. Think about it. Would you be happy with a restored car? No. Would you be happy with an original low mileage car other than yours? No. And besides, for what you would get for your 914 you could buy a new Honda Accord. Excuse me while I yawn!

What always works for me is a good dose of car show to pump up the enthusiasm with a little positive reinforcement from attendees that will find it hard to believe you've owned the same car for such a long time. Very few people stick with any automobile this long. It truly is a remarkable feat.

So, why don't you come to the 30th Anniversary Zone One Concours on May 17th and show your car. We have Full Concours Class (no wheel wells or undercarriage), a Peoples Choice "show and shine" class. Its not that far from Philly and I would like to meet you and try to talk some sense into you with this notion that selling the car will make you happy. Believe me, people will go gaga over your car. Clean, original 914's are unique and do draw attention.

Here is the link with all the information:

http://zone1.pca.org/Zone%201%20Concours%202009%20v3.pdf

I will be there Friday night, All day Saturday and Saturday night, and or course all day Sunday. By the way the Trophy/Award is a limited edition printed poster signed and numbered by the artist. Only 125 were printed just for this event. Hope to see you (and your 914) there.

Dave Cheek

+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 7 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Nudge nudge Pat, now you have two people bugging you to attend zone 1.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 8 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(dcheek @ Apr 7 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Pat,

This thread has kept me up way past my bedtime. My laptop battery went dead and I had to drive all the way back to work to pick up the charger! Your dilemma has hit me to the core or my being. I too have thought of selling everything and get one nice new, or newer sports car so that I would actually have time to enjoy it rather than labor over preserving, repairing or otherwise obsessing over what most "normal" people would consider an appliance; namely a car. I think my reason is somewhat different from yours; it's a full time job in the warmer months to keep everything I own in operable condition. As usual, problems arise in groups all at the same time. This one has a starting problem, that one needs brakes, another needs new fuel lines, etc. Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and sell the problems to someone else. But, when I get right down to it, I'm emotionally attached to each and every vehicle I own. In the VW Club I'm known as "Dave Keep" because I rarely sell anything. Have you ever thought what it would be like the day you sell your pride and joy and seeing someone else driving away in "your" car?

The real issue for me is that my enthusiasm for preparing a car for full concours judging is at an all time low. In fact, I plan on displaying my car in the Historic portion of the up and coming Porsche Zone One Concours in May. Like you, I go to Hershey every year and don't really need anything. And if I do buy something, it's so trivial I either forget I have it, or forget to install it. But that's really not the point. It's the experience, the people and web sites like this that keep the fire burning.

When I attended the first Zone One Concours 30 years ago I worried about the level of preparation I had done, I worried about the weather situation (I drove my car to the event), I worried about the judging, the car placement in the field, the dust, the pollen, worry, worry worry. It was the most nerve wracking experience I ever had! Now, with age, like you, if it rains, big deal. That's why they put wipers on the car. It's not a physical thing with me, even thought I have floaters too, and my vision up close? Forget it! And yes I too are slower at getting out from under the car. It's that I just don't want to devote the time necessary to prepare a car to that level any more. So, have I lost the fire? Well yeah, if you count not wanting to spend two months cleaning a car. But, I still could not bring myself to sell my 914. When people ask me why I've kept the car so long, I tell them no one was willing to give me enough money to buy a 911. That couldn't be further from the truth. When I finally got my 911 before I was 50 years old I thought this was the end of my love affair with the 914. You know, more power, and it's a 911..............oooooooh! Well, it didn't. I still love the way the 914 looks, sounds and handles. And I'm not selling it.

So, what should you do. Well, I know what you shouldn't do, and that's sell your 914. You will regret it. Yeah, you think you could find another nice car if you wanted to get back into the hobby, but you, of all people, (and I only know you from this forum), will never find a nicer car than you already own. Think about it. Would you be happy with a restored car? No. Would you be happy with an original low mileage car other than yours? No. And besides, for what you would get for your 914 you could buy a new Honda Accord. Excuse me while I yawn!

What always works for me is a good dose of car show to pump up the enthusiasm with a little positive reinforcement from attendees that will find it hard to believe you've owned the same car for such a long time. Very few people stick with any automobile this long. It truly is a remarkable feat.

So, why don't you come to the 30th Anniversary Zone One Concours on May 17th and show your car. We have Full Concours Class (no wheel wells or undercarriage), a Peoples Choice "show and shine" class. Its not that far from Philly and I would like to meet you and try to talk some sense into you with this notion that selling the car will make you happy. Believe me, people will go gaga over your car. Clean, original 914's are unique and do draw attention.

Here is the link with all the information:

http://zone1.pca.org/Zone%201%20Concours%202009%20v3.pdf

I will be there Friday night, All day Saturday and Saturday night, and or course all day Sunday. By the way the Trophy/Award is a limited edition printed poster signed and numbered by the artist. Only 125 were printed just for this event. Hope to see you (and your 914) there.

Dave Cheek

Dave & Tod,

I here what you're saying. With a little warmer weather, I've been doing some rethinking.

I don't think that Janice (my wife of 40 years) would allow the sale of the 914. But, it isn't where I want it to be, after 3 years on stands & 1 year of doing nothing. All because I wanted to refurbish boots/seals/things to make it perfect.

I'll give it another year, but the 911 (which I love almost as much) must go! I don't have the time, stamina, or hutzpah to keep 2 Porsches going, or not going.

If I see you guys at the Zone 1 conc, it'll be sans 914. I need at least 2 months to get it right. But I'm giving it serious thought. Can either of you send me specifics?
Pat
+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 8 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Pat here you go. http://zone1.pca.org/Zone%201%20Concours%202009%20v3.pdf

And why bother with all the excessive preperation and detailing? Enter peoples choice and enjoy the show! Or enter as is with just a light wipe down. It's suppose to be fun. You spent enough time with qtips in your hands on that car. Either way with or without car take the ride up on Sunday 17 May. Looking foward to seeing you there.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 9 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #53

Hey Pat,
Hopefully the temps will get in the 90's and you'll forget about selling the 911 too! Of course you know the early long hood 911's are appreciating right now. Here's another one you'll regret 5 years from now when the values go through the roof. Just look what happened to the 356's........yikes!

Dave

By the way, any pictures of the 911??? Please post.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 9 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(dcheek @ Apr 9 2009, 03:47 PM) *

Hey Pat,
Hopefully the temps will get in the 90's and you'll forget about selling the 911 too! Of course you know the early long hood 911's are appreciating right now. Here's another one you'll regret 5 years from now when the values go through the roof. Just look what happened to the 356's........yikes!

Dave

By the way, any pictures of the 911??? Please post.

Dave,

I've regretted every Porsche that I sold, as well as most of the non-Porsches. But though I've owned this 911 for 17 years, the same sad truth comes to bear - owning more than one Porsche at a time means they both suffer. That's my case, others don't have this problem. I guess I expect too much from myself in maintaining both to my personal demands. I didn't learn my lesson the first or second time. This time I have. I'll hate myself for it, but the 911 will go.

Not really certain that I should post a pic of it on this forum, but what the heck.

Pat

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 10 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #55

Pat,
PM me the particulars on your 911. I might have someone interested in buying it.

Dave
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 10 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(dcheek @ Apr 10 2009, 05:45 AM) *

Pat,
PM me the particulars on your 911. I might have someone interested in buying it.

Dave

Will put the list together this weekend.
Pat
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 10 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #57

Thanks Pat. I look forward to getting the information.

Also, with or without showing a car have you thought about attending the Zone One event?

Dave
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Apr 10 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #58

Pat,
Of course I would much rather have you keep the car. But, if its got to go I would appreciate the information.

Dave
+Quote Post
914four
post Apr 10 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 7,582
Region Association: South East States

[/quote]
Kelvin,

First, thank you for joining us! Second, where have you been for the last 20 years?

[/quote]

Well Pat I have put many miles on my 914 over the last 20 years and enjoyed the time I spent working on it as well. I registered for this website a year ago but really only learned how to use the forum part after the 2008 RCR. Slowley I am learning when and how to post to the forum.

I think I may have purchased a dash pad from you in the late 80's or early 90's through MEVs but in this forth move over the last 20 years I have realized that I have done away with most of my early records for my 914s and cannot find my purchase records from that far back. My almost 50 year old mind may not remember the events from those pre-internet days accurately either but your name was very familiar to me when I started reading this forum.

One thing I noticed while searching through all of my old records is that you can easily pay for a 914 two or three times in parts over 20 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Thanks for the information you post here and I look forward to you sharing your wealth of information with us for may years to come.

Kelvin
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 11 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #60

[quote name='PH1' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:12 PM' post='1156639']
[/quote]
Kelvin,

[/quote]

Well Pat I have put many miles on my 914 over the last 20 years and enjoyed the time I spent working on it as well. I registered for this website a year ago but really only learned how to use the forum part after the 2008 RCR. Slowley I am learning when and how to post to the forum.

I think I may have purchased a dash pad from you in the late 80's or early 90's through MEVs but in this forth move over the last 20 years I have realized that I have done away with most of my early records for my 914s and cannot find my purchase records from that far back. My almost 50 year old mind may not remember the events from those pre-internet days accurately either but your name was very familiar to me when I started reading this forum.

One thing I noticed while searching through all of my old records is that you can easily pay for a 914 two or three times in parts over 20 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Thanks for the information you post here and I look forward to you sharing your wealth of information with us for may years to come.

Kelvin
[/quote]
Kelvin,

Know what? I think I remember that transaction from MEV. Great memory!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:45 AM