Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> bumper top seals, NLA from the factory
tod914
post Apr 16 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Tom if I can locate the thread, I'll post it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TedK
post Apr 18 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,961

30K to set that up?? Man, that is pricey. I can see myself spending $1,000 for a like-new quality top, but thats just me.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 18 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(TedK @ Apr 18 2009, 09:00 AM) *

30K to set that up?? Man, that is pricey. I can see myself spending $1,000 for a like-new quality top, but thats just me.

Frankly I was very unimpressed with that "new" (NOS?) rear top strip that I got a couple of weeks ago from PP, which still has the "Genuine Porsche" parts sticker on it, in comparison to my 36 year old one in the post above. Other than the "bends" in my "old" one, I can clean up the surface to look as good as the the "new" one. And the new one is also flexible & bendy anyway, because they're just solid rubber with non-continuous steel inserts molded into them for the bolt attachment points & semi-rigidity. If that's the "as new" finish quality, then I'd not pay for new unless I had to do so!

So a word of warning to George &/or Mikey &/or whomever else might take up this repro. rubber parts "holy grail test" - do a better job of getting a sealed and non-porous finish on them, for both looks & QC!

These OEM ones are somewhat porous & allows moisture to infiltrate down inside & rust the embedded steel parts & bumper tops!!!! VW/Porsche/Audi are all notorious for embedding rustable steel into their gasket parts which then rust away very quickly. I just spent $1000+/- last year to reseal the pop-top on our 88 Westfalia for that very reason! And you can see the rusted steel inside the tears in my old top strips (same thing inside the "crushed tits"), and they've been in my dry garage (not hermetically sealed) here in "The OC" since the "accident" in 85!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:34 AM