Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Painting of Engine Bay, What all do I need?
RustyWa
post Feb 26 2004, 01:00 AM
Post #1

Working Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 72

I'm getting close to the painting stage of my engine compartment update. I would like some suggestions on what type of paint I should use.

I stopped at the local paint supply store, they sell PPG products, and talked with the guy there. I'll need to do some spot priming of the bare metal, so he suggested a self-etching primer in a can, an SEM product I believe. For the paint, my car is green metallic, he suggested using a single stage paint. He said a quart of the PPG MTK ($20-$30) which is an acrylic urethane should work good for the engine compartment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

He also said I would need a catylist ($13) and reducer ($20).

So how does this sound for a metallic paint application in an engine compartment?

Also, I will need to weld in a new battery tray/support and a new engine lid hinge bracket. How critical is it to spray weld-thru primer onto the car where these pieces will be welded to? The weld-thru primer at the autobody store was like $20....and I'm such a cheap bastard.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:05 AM