Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you measure if your rear arms are bent?
moggy
post Mar 29 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,285

Hi Guys

Just finished my last rally and had a little 'off' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) into a ditch. Managed to get going again but handling was way out afterwards. The center tape on the sterring wheel was at about 1.30 I fear I may have damaged one or both of the rear arms. Will be taking them off for a look see in the week. I understand rear arms can 'bend', but which way???? do they twist? bend up? bend in? Are there any measurements I can take from certain points to confirm if there's any damage?

I'm going to buy a weld in kit for the inner ear and bracing kit, I already have an arm kit but haven't welded it on yet. I need to confirm these arms are straight and true before I weld them on.

BTW - Here's a shot of me yesterday before I slid backwards down a ditch about 10miles further on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Now that's how you take a hairpin.... nice and tight and sideways in

(IMG:http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/odg743g/bulldog.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 29 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I'd be more concerned that a steering arm got bent with the wheel askew like that. Check for one front wheel being toed in or out when the wheel is straight. If so, just adjust the tie rod on that side to correct the toe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 29 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Oh yeah, the car looks good in the corner!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 31 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 29 2009, 04:17 PM) *

I'd be more concerned that a steering arm got bent with the wheel askew like that. Check for one front wheel being toed in or out when the wheel is straight. If so, just adjust the tie rod on that side to correct the toe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also, there's a factory diagram floating around somewhere that shows the dimensions of the rear arms.

They usually twist. You can always take off both arms and compare them. They should be a mirror image.

You can check the front a-arms by taking them off and turning them upside down. The hole where the strut goes in has to be right in the center of the metal border on the underside. If it's off, the a-arms are bend.

Btw. the consensus around here is that it's better to bend a trailing arm then to rip off the suspension console.
So, if you're doing any stiffening in that area, make sure all components are involved, otherwise you're just transferring the damage from the arms to the tub.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy

PS: I like the action shot! Pretty cool ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
moggy
post Apr 1 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #5

Thanks guys. Going to get the car up and on 4 wheel alignement jig on Friday. That should point me in the right direction as to whether there's issues up front or at the back.
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 4 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Moggy,

what did the alignment rack say?
(this could be related to your rear suspension console)

I hope you got good news at the alignment appointment.
nice picture!

brant
+Quote Post
moggy
post Apr 4 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #7

Before we got it on the alignment rig we gave all the suspension a good checking over. Turns out the rear rubber bushings on the trailing arms are history, just finished changing them out for some poly-graphite ones this afternoon. We also found the front left ball joint has gone, so I've got to sort that out before I return to get all the alignment checks done.

+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 6 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #8

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great pix ...I think rally drivers are the best in the world ...not F1 or NASCAR there good but not the best ....looks like a ton of fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:59 PM