Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you measure if your rear arms are bent?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
moggy
Hi Guys

Just finished my last rally and had a little 'off' biggrin.gif into a ditch. Managed to get going again but handling was way out afterwards. The center tape on the sterring wheel was at about 1.30 I fear I may have damaged one or both of the rear arms. Will be taking them off for a look see in the week. I understand rear arms can 'bend', but which way???? do they twist? bend up? bend in? Are there any measurements I can take from certain points to confirm if there's any damage?

I'm going to buy a weld in kit for the inner ear and bracing kit, I already have an arm kit but haven't welded it on yet. I need to confirm these arms are straight and true before I weld them on.

BTW - Here's a shot of me yesterday before I slid backwards down a ditch about 10miles further on biggrin.gif Now that's how you take a hairpin.... nice and tight and sideways in

IPB Image
ChrisFoley
I'd be more concerned that a steering arm got bent with the wheel askew like that. Check for one front wheel being toed in or out when the wheel is straight. If so, just adjust the tie rod on that side to correct the toe. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Oh yeah, the car looks good in the corner!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 29 2009, 04:17 PM) *

I'd be more concerned that a steering arm got bent with the wheel askew like that. Check for one front wheel being toed in or out when the wheel is straight. If so, just adjust the tie rod on that side to correct the toe. smile.gif

agree.gif

Also, there's a factory diagram floating around somewhere that shows the dimensions of the rear arms.

They usually twist. You can always take off both arms and compare them. They should be a mirror image.

You can check the front a-arms by taking them off and turning them upside down. The hole where the strut goes in has to be right in the center of the metal border on the underside. If it's off, the a-arms are bend.

Btw. the consensus around here is that it's better to bend a trailing arm then to rip off the suspension console.
So, if you're doing any stiffening in that area, make sure all components are involved, otherwise you're just transferring the damage from the arms to the tub.

bye1.gif Andy

PS: I like the action shot! Pretty cool ... driving.gif
moggy
Thanks guys. Going to get the car up and on 4 wheel alignement jig on Friday. That should point me in the right direction as to whether there's issues up front or at the back.
brant
Moggy,

what did the alignment rack say?
(this could be related to your rear suspension console)

I hope you got good news at the alignment appointment.
nice picture!

brant
moggy
Before we got it on the alignment rig we gave all the suspension a good checking over. Turns out the rear rubber bushings on the trailing arms are history, just finished changing them out for some poly-graphite ones this afternoon. We also found the front left ball joint has gone, so I've got to sort that out before I return to get all the alignment checks done.

6freak
Great pix ...I think rally drivers are the best in the world ...not F1 or NASCAR there good but not the best ....looks like a ton of fun driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.