Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Howdy, Advice, Opinions, and Suggestions needed
MRM4418
post Feb 26 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,718

Howdy,

Been lurking for a while, but I needed to search this board for some information so I went ahead and signed up. And here's my little story

I've been in love with 914s since my boss bought one about two years ago now, and it was the first Porsche I ever drove (and only right now). I've always wanted to get one, and I think I finally have a chance to get one. I've found a 914 near my house, behind a car shop, and its been sitting there for a while. I've only taken a quick look at it, but I plan on going home next weekend to look over it a bit more (I'm afraid it might have too much rust, but not sure until I check). I plan on giving it the "big butt test" or whatever some call it, and a thorough visual inspection (any suggestions what I should look out for, other than whats in the usual 914 faq?). If its in decent condition, I'll offer to buy it. Now, here's my plan.

I want to do a subaru 2.0 turbo swap. I've been researching it a LOT, and I come to the conclusion that it would probably be the best for me. I don't want to do a V-8 swap; don't want to have to worry about getting a 915 (yet), uses too much gas, and in my opinion it ruins the concept of the car, a light, small mid-engine car. I'd love to do a flat Porsche 6 conversion, but the cost of the engine scares me (i know all conversions aren't cheap, but bear with me), and the same thing goes for a built TypeIV. To me the Subaru engine would be fun- wieghs almost the same as the stock typeIV, good power, generally reliable, and of course, the fun of having a turbo under the lid.

I've been building this car in my head for the last couple of days, trying to see what problems I'll face, etc. So far this is what I think the conversion will consist of
-Buy car, primer, fix any rust/body problems, drop the engine and transaxle (have transaxle inspected)
-Buy motor (cpu, wiring harness, exhaust, alternator, intercooler, motor mounts, fuel pump (?), and what else???), adapter from KEP, radiator, electric fans, parts to mount radiator up front
-Mount radiator, run piping under the car
-attach engine to the transaxle, drop the engine/transaxle into the car (I unfortunately don't have any fabrication skills, but I think my dad's mechanic could probably fab the motor mount/bar), cut hole in trunk for the turbo to fit, have some support metal welded in there to keep structural integrity
-Mount computer in the car, put the wiring harness on, wire the rest of the car, connect cooling system
-Install subaru fuel pump/run the fuel lines
-Mount intercooler/air intake in the trunk
-Have exhaust built
-Double check everything and start it up?

Now, here are some of the things that I'm not too sure on
-The subaru fuel pump, how what will work with the porsche gas tank
-How to run the power to the lights etc (914s are 6v correct?)
-Assuming I use the stock computer, there should be any problems wiring the engine, correct?
-Is it possible to keep the spare up front with the radiator up there?
-Will the stock tachometer work with the subaru engine?
-Other than ebay, is there another place I should look to find engines (other than local salvage, pick and pull)
-I'm sure I'll think of more questions laster, especially if I take actually take on this conversion

I'll openly admit that I am by no means a mechanic, I have some experience with car, but not as much as I wish. I have several friends who are very mechanically inclinded, my dad's mechanic is awesome and would definitly help me if he can, and my boss has a friend who is a former Porsche mechanic, and has his own shop. I know that if I take this project on it will be no easy task, but I think it will definitly be worth the effort.

Thanks in advance for all the help, Matt M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 05:06 PM