Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howdy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MRM4418
Howdy,

Been lurking for a while, but I needed to search this board for some information so I went ahead and signed up. And here's my little story

I've been in love with 914s since my boss bought one about two years ago now, and it was the first Porsche I ever drove (and only right now). I've always wanted to get one, and I think I finally have a chance to get one. I've found a 914 near my house, behind a car shop, and its been sitting there for a while. I've only taken a quick look at it, but I plan on going home next weekend to look over it a bit more (I'm afraid it might have too much rust, but not sure until I check). I plan on giving it the "big butt test" or whatever some call it, and a thorough visual inspection (any suggestions what I should look out for, other than whats in the usual 914 faq?). If its in decent condition, I'll offer to buy it. Now, here's my plan.

I want to do a subaru 2.0 turbo swap. I've been researching it a LOT, and I come to the conclusion that it would probably be the best for me. I don't want to do a V-8 swap; don't want to have to worry about getting a 915 (yet), uses too much gas, and in my opinion it ruins the concept of the car, a light, small mid-engine car. I'd love to do a flat Porsche 6 conversion, but the cost of the engine scares me (i know all conversions aren't cheap, but bear with me), and the same thing goes for a built TypeIV. To me the Subaru engine would be fun- wieghs almost the same as the stock typeIV, good power, generally reliable, and of course, the fun of having a turbo under the lid.

I've been building this car in my head for the last couple of days, trying to see what problems I'll face, etc. So far this is what I think the conversion will consist of
-Buy car, primer, fix any rust/body problems, drop the engine and transaxle (have transaxle inspected)
-Buy motor (cpu, wiring harness, exhaust, alternator, intercooler, motor mounts, fuel pump (?), and what else???), adapter from KEP, radiator, electric fans, parts to mount radiator up front
-Mount radiator, run piping under the car
-attach engine to the transaxle, drop the engine/transaxle into the car (I unfortunately don't have any fabrication skills, but I think my dad's mechanic could probably fab the motor mount/bar), cut hole in trunk for the turbo to fit, have some support metal welded in there to keep structural integrity
-Mount computer in the car, put the wiring harness on, wire the rest of the car, connect cooling system
-Install subaru fuel pump/run the fuel lines
-Mount intercooler/air intake in the trunk
-Have exhaust built
-Double check everything and start it up?

Now, here are some of the things that I'm not too sure on
-The subaru fuel pump, how what will work with the porsche gas tank
-How to run the power to the lights etc (914s are 6v correct?)
-Assuming I use the stock computer, there should be any problems wiring the engine, correct?
-Is it possible to keep the spare up front with the radiator up there?
-Will the stock tachometer work with the subaru engine?
-Other than ebay, is there another place I should look to find engines (other than local salvage, pick and pull)
-I'm sure I'll think of more questions laster, especially if I take actually take on this conversion

I'll openly admit that I am by no means a mechanic, I have some experience with car, but not as much as I wish. I have several friends who are very mechanically inclinded, my dad's mechanic is awesome and would definitly help me if he can, and my boss has a friend who is a former Porsche mechanic, and has his own shop. I know that if I take this project on it will be no easy task, but I think it will definitly be worth the effort.

Thanks in advance for all the help, Matt M
ninefourteener
Allow me to be the first to welcome you. Although you're getting WAY deeper into a teener project that I think anyone should.... I admire your aspiration.

Personally..... in Texas..... the cars shouldn't have too much rust anyway..... but if you can pretty plainly see rust from a ways away... imagine what the longs, battery tray and floors lik like up close, you know?

Move on..... SOMEONE on this site can help you find a low-rust roller... or even one that does run, that you can putz around in till the rust is fixed, and you can start the engine conversion.

Seriously.... you're talking about spending MUCHO $$$$ on that setup... why not spend $2500 or so to get a running car?

Just my 2 cents...... Again.. welcome to the site smile.gif

beerchug.gif
MRM4418
My heart isn't set on this particular 914, I just don't want to see another teener rust away sad.gif . If its mainly just a little surface rust, and maybe the battery tray is rusted off, I think I might still go for it, since I can get it for pretty damn cheap. If I get this car as a project car, that means I can keep my current truck and my dad doesn't have to pay too much insurance on it. If I got nice, running 914 for around 6-7k, my dad would probably want me to sell my truck. The engine shouldn't be extremely expensive, there is a EJ20 twin turbo ( i want single turbo though) selling for 1350 buy it now on ebay, but it probably doesn't have cpu, harness, etc. If I do this project I'd like it to be reliable enough for trips home and back (hometown is corpus christi, going to college at ATM college station ~250miles), and I think this setup will be fairly reliable.
bob174
I agree with MRM. There are 914's around--you're in a large metropolitan area. Don't jump on that one because it's there unless it's in really good condition. Try to limit the amount of bodywork that you'll have to do.
Joe Bob
Don't discount it....if it's cheap, it's a good source for extra parts and $$ by selling what you don't need.
Mueller
for the subi motor, just by the EJ20T single turbo.....you can get them all day long for about $650 for the JDM units....

ummm, 914's are 12v...they haven't made a 6v since the 60's smile.gif

easiest method is to forget about trying to use the subaru ECU, I'd ditch it for an aftermarket unit (Haltec, Perfect Power, Autronic, Megasquirt..etc, etc.....)

so a few more searches on this site, a few Subaru conversion have already been done (2 by the same guy) and a few EJ20TT are in the works as we speak)....just last week I made a billet aluminum adapter for the crankfire ignition for one of them........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.