Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> loud clacking noise..., engine noise.
bmtrnavsky
post Apr 2 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok, one other issue...

My car is making a weird clacking noise. It did this once before and all I did was warm it up and it stopped. It does not show any loss of power or rough idle. I was thinking about just doing a good tune up, cap and rotor, plugs, oil change and seeing if that fixed it... But I honestly have no idea whats wrong or if that will have any effect.

What can I do to diagnose this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Apr 2 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

Adjust the valves. simple as that, or so it may seem
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Apr 2 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #3

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 2 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Really? I have hydraulic lifters... and it does not go away like it did the first time. I HOPE it is that easy to fix... because I am afraid my OTHER issue is BIG. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Apr 2 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Really? I have hydraulic lifters... and it does not go away like it did the first time. I HOPE it is that easy to fix... because I am afraid my OTHER issue is BIG. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

It is possible your 2 issues are related. If the clutch disc center has broken loose you would have no power transmitter to the transmission and you could have some noises. Or if a CV joint broke you would get no power to the wheels and a clacking as the CV parts banged against each other.

You need to get under the car and start looking and listening to see if you can narrow down the possibilities.

Good Luck
Jim

+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Apr 2 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 2 2009, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM) *

It is possible your 2 issues are related. If the clutch disc center has broken loose you would have no power transmitter to the transmission and you could have some noises. Or if a CV joint broke you would get no power to the wheels and a clacking as the CV parts banged against each other.

You need to get under the car and start looking and listening to see if you can narrow down the possibilities.

Good Luck
Jim

I don't think it is a CV joint because it does it when the car is not moving and I was driving it when I had the clutch issue. My thought was that I had a cylinder misfiring, but I also thought I could have some sort of valve issue.

I'm really confused, and not all that good at this stuff.

Grrr...
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 3 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #6

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Might be the hydros. Horizontally mounted hydraulic lifters are notorious for collapsing and clattering, and they can pump back up while operating. The lifters require REALLY clean oil to operate and dirty oil has caused many a noise. Replaced the filter recently with a good one? Crap filters plug blow the one shot pressure relief valve and stop filtering.

Only thing that works on my Vanagon is 20-w50 synthetic oil and a Mobile 1 filter with the spring loaded pressure relief valve. Ever take apart an engine run on synthetic? Unlike conventional oils, the synthetics clean out the crud and clean the lifters.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 3 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Are you sure it's the engine that's making the sound?
In your other thread, you state that your clutch is permanently disengaged.

Maybe you broke the flywheel off the crank?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Andy

PS: I think it's time to drop the engine and tranny and find out exactly what is going on ...
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Apr 3 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

I still would say lifters because the sound goes away after it's warm. I'm also running Hydro's but I'm running synthetic, a higher pressure oil pump, and a special oil pressure relief valve that boosts the oil pressure, thus keeping the lifters pumped.

Even if they are hydros, it may be good in practice to adjust them anyways.

If you are having clutch issues though, drop the whole package and then try to diagnose it.

I'm not sure, but would a rod knock dissapear as the metals expand with heat?

then again, lifters clack, rods clank.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Apr 3 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #9

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Could also be an exhaust leak. I know the difference now, but when I had an exaust leak (where the heat exchangers attach to the engine) the noise made me think something was wrong with the engine. As stated earlier, you need to get under there and find out where the noise is coming from. Make sure you tighten the bolts to spec! (or slightly less)

It has also been said that hydro lifters still need periodic adjustment despite advertisement to the contrary. Mine were within spec several years after an engine rebuild, but it's good to check them every so often just the same.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 3 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #10

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I think you need to have a PNW teener tuesday party (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) ...buy beer and pizza and between use all we will figure it out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....and then tell you how much it will cost you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .eat your pizza and leave you crying in your beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Apr 3 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

I have hydros as well. Before the next oil change, throw some marvel mystery oil in it and get it hot. Fixed mine right up. Also, had a weird clanking noise when cold, ended up being the fan belt rubbing on the fan shroud. New belt, no noise.
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Apr 3 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 843

PO had the engine built. The shop (since out of business) didn't Loctite or stake the cam gear bolts. One walked out and started to eat the oil pump. Tick, tick, tick, tick........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Harvey
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Apr 3 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(HarveyH @ Apr 3 2009, 06:28 PM) *

PO had the engine built. The shop (since out of business) didn't Loctite or stake the cam gear bolts. One walked out and started to eat the oil pump. Tick, tick, tick, tick........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Harvey

I'm going to put it up on the jack stands in the AM and do a oil change. Then Jon is going to come over and take a look. Hopefully it will not be too bad of news.

I just spent $$$$$$$$$ on 4 new rotors, 911 master cylinder, stainless break lines, and BMW calipers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I may have waited knowing this was happening, but o-well. One less part that will wear out or break I guess.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Apr 4 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Good luck, seems to be many others out there using hydro lifters than I thought.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 4 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

Seems as though it was just a lifter. Brad ran some cleaner through there and then put some Brad Penn in and no more noise.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Apr 4 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 4 2009, 12:22 PM) *

Good luck, seems to be many others out there using hydro lifters than I thought.

Issue resolved! It was a deflated lifter... I added a little Gunk Crankcase flush and warmed it up, then shot a little carb and throttle body cleaner down it while I gave it a few revs and the noise went away.

It now has 4 quarts of Brad Penn 20-50 in it ind it is humming along like should!

YAY!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:38 PM