Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: loud clacking noise...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
Ok, one other issue...

My car is making a weird clacking noise. It did this once before and all I did was warm it up and it stopped. It does not show any loss of power or rough idle. I was thinking about just doing a good tune up, cap and rotor, plugs, oil change and seeing if that fixed it... But I honestly have no idea whats wrong or if that will have any effect.

What can I do to diagnose this?
'73-914kid
Adjust the valves. simple as that, or so it may seem
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 2 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Really? I have hydraulic lifters... and it does not go away like it did the first time. I HOPE it is that easy to fix... because I am afraid my OTHER issue is BIG. sad.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Really? I have hydraulic lifters... and it does not go away like it did the first time. I HOPE it is that easy to fix... because I am afraid my OTHER issue is BIG. sad.gif

It is possible your 2 issues are related. If the clutch disc center has broken loose you would have no power transmitter to the transmission and you could have some noises. Or if a CV joint broke you would get no power to the wheels and a clacking as the CV parts banged against each other.

You need to get under the car and start looking and listening to see if you can narrow down the possibilities.

Good Luck
Jim

bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 2 2009, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Apr 2 2009, 09:23 PM) *

It is possible your 2 issues are related. If the clutch disc center has broken loose you would have no power transmitter to the transmission and you could have some noises. Or if a CV joint broke you would get no power to the wheels and a clacking as the CV parts banged against each other.

You need to get under the car and start looking and listening to see if you can narrow down the possibilities.

Good Luck
Jim

I don't think it is a CV joint because it does it when the car is not moving and I was driving it when I had the clutch issue. My thought was that I had a cylinder misfiring, but I also thought I could have some sort of valve issue.

I'm really confused, and not all that good at this stuff.

Grrr...
Katmanken
Might be the hydros. Horizontally mounted hydraulic lifters are notorious for collapsing and clattering, and they can pump back up while operating. The lifters require REALLY clean oil to operate and dirty oil has caused many a noise. Replaced the filter recently with a good one? Crap filters plug blow the one shot pressure relief valve and stop filtering.

Only thing that works on my Vanagon is 20-w50 synthetic oil and a Mobile 1 filter with the spring loaded pressure relief valve. Ever take apart an engine run on synthetic? Unlike conventional oils, the synthetics clean out the crud and clean the lifters.
SirAndy
Are you sure it's the engine that's making the sound?
In your other thread, you state that your clutch is permanently disengaged.

Maybe you broke the flywheel off the crank?
confused24.gif Andy

PS: I think it's time to drop the engine and tranny and find out exactly what is going on ...
'73-914kid
I still would say lifters because the sound goes away after it's warm. I'm also running Hydro's but I'm running synthetic, a higher pressure oil pump, and a special oil pressure relief valve that boosts the oil pressure, thus keeping the lifters pumped.

Even if they are hydros, it may be good in practice to adjust them anyways.

If you are having clutch issues though, drop the whole package and then try to diagnose it.

I'm not sure, but would a rod knock dissapear as the metals expand with heat?

then again, lifters clack, rods clank.
rjames
Could also be an exhaust leak. I know the difference now, but when I had an exaust leak (where the heat exchangers attach to the engine) the noise made me think something was wrong with the engine. As stated earlier, you need to get under there and find out where the noise is coming from. Make sure you tighten the bolts to spec! (or slightly less)

It has also been said that hydro lifters still need periodic adjustment despite advertisement to the contrary. Mine were within spec several years after an engine rebuild, but it's good to check them every so often just the same.
6freak
I think you need to have a PNW teener tuesday party drunk.gif ...buy beer and pizza and between use all we will figure it out idea.gif ....and then tell you how much it will cost you sad.gif .eat your pizza and leave you crying in your beer poke.gif
underthetire
I have hydros as well. Before the next oil change, throw some marvel mystery oil in it and get it hot. Fixed mine right up. Also, had a weird clanking noise when cold, ended up being the fan belt rubbing on the fan shroud. New belt, no noise.
HarveyH
PO had the engine built. The shop (since out of business) didn't Loctite or stake the cam gear bolts. One walked out and started to eat the oil pump. Tick, tick, tick, tick........ smash.gif

Harvey
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Apr 3 2009, 06:28 PM) *

PO had the engine built. The shop (since out of business) didn't Loctite or stake the cam gear bolts. One walked out and started to eat the oil pump. Tick, tick, tick, tick........ smash.gif

Harvey

I'm going to put it up on the jack stands in the AM and do a oil change. Then Jon is going to come over and take a look. Hopefully it will not be too bad of news.

I just spent $$$$$$$$$ on 4 new rotors, 911 master cylinder, stainless break lines, and BMW calipers. sad.gif I may have waited knowing this was happening, but o-well. One less part that will wear out or break I guess.
SUNAB914
Good luck, seems to be many others out there using hydro lifters than I thought.
PeeGreen 914
Seems as though it was just a lifter. Brad ran some cleaner through there and then put some Brad Penn in and no more noise.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 4 2009, 12:22 PM) *

Good luck, seems to be many others out there using hydro lifters than I thought.

Issue resolved! It was a deflated lifter... I added a little Gunk Crankcase flush and warmed it up, then shot a little carb and throttle body cleaner down it while I gave it a few revs and the noise went away.

It now has 4 quarts of Brad Penn 20-50 in it ind it is humming along like should!

YAY!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.