Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vacuum Line Chart from Pelican, will it pass SMOG?
Derek Seymour
post Apr 13 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,151
Region Association: Southern California

I set up the lines on my 76 using this diagram
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm

It's pretty close to what I have with my decel valve lines slightly different.
My car runs perfect.

My question invloves the distributor line. As stated I have left it open and to be tidy I zip tied the line to the fuel line that runs right by. I made sure the line was tied snuggly but still open and breathable.

So.. will this pass SMOG? I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

I originally T-d the line onto the 6mm decel valve line that connects to the manifold nipple very near the distributor, but that made the engine idle at 2000 rpm.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Apr 13 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

Just bury the open end of that hose under the intake so it's not visible.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 13 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Mmmmmm, just remove that hose completely? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 13 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 11:44 AM) *

I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

That's why the factory tugged them under the air cleaner ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Apr 13 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2009, 12:27 PM) *

I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

Okay so originally I thought "Hmmmm, zip tied under the manifold (how it was when I bought it) will work but it's a bit "sloppy" and probably not how it was stock."
But if the Resident German is telling me that's basically what they did at the factory... well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) then...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 13 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 12:37 PM) *

Okay so originally I thought "Hmmmm, zip tied under the manifold (how it was when I bought it) will work but it's a bit "sloppy" and probably not how it was stock."
But if the Resident German is telling me that's basically what they did at the factory... well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) then...

Kinda depends whether your '76 has a port on the TB for an advance line. If it does, you have to attach the line to it. If not, you just use a 3-4 inch piece of vacuum hose and you're done. BTW, the factory DID NOT "tuck it under the manifold". It just sat there, right in plain sight. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Apr 13 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 12:37 PM) *

Kinda depends whether your '76 has a port on the TB for an advance line. If it does, you have to attach the line to it. If not, you just use a 3-4 inch piece of vacuum hose and you're done. BTW, the factory DID NOT "tuck it under the manifold". It just sat there, right in plain sight. The Cap'n

I can't seem to find one. There is a port for the retard pointing straight back towards the rear firewall. A port for the EGR wich points straight towards the battery side firewall. Then ports on the manifold that point diagonally towards the passenger seat/targa pillar one for the decel line (6mm) and another 10mm for the AA Reg(the chart shows the oil breather here and a stacked elbow with both decel valve lines on the other, my oil breather is going to one of the three 10mm ports on the air cleaner ). Then another port that sticks straigt up out of the manifold that has the MPS hooked to it.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Apr 13 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

If the smog tech sees an unconnected vacuum port or vacuum line, he will want to fail you. I would make sure that the vacuum line is tucked well away and out of sight to avoid questions.

1974 cars had the advance port on the distributor dashpot and nowhere to connect it on the throttle body. As far as I know, 1975 and 1976 had the advance port removed from both locations. So officially, your car should not have a vacuum advance port on the distributor at all.

Here's a Panorama article from many years ago that I used to bring with me to smog tests in case there was a question (I had a '74)

http://www.demandjen.com/vacuum.pdf

+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Apr 13 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Demick @ Apr 13 2009, 02:10 PM) *

If the smog tech sees an unconnected vacuum port or vacuum line, he will want to fail you. I would make sure that the vacuum line is tucked well away and out of sight to avoid questions.

1974 cars had the advance port on the distributor dashpot and nowhere to connect it on the throttle body. As far as I know, 1975 and 1976 had the advance port removed from both locations. So officially, your car should not have a vacuum advance port on the distributor at all.

Here's a Panorama article from many years ago that I used to bring with me to smog tests in case there was a question (I had a '74)

http://www.demandjen.com/vacuum.pdf

WOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thank you for that article I am going to print that out and bring it with me...
So basically I probably have a distributor from a 74 or older car on my 76... good to know just in case there are other parts like that... I know for a fact my case is correct... hmmm

THANKS!!!!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:40 AM