Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum Line Chart from Pelican
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Derek Seymour
I set up the lines on my 76 using this diagram
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm

It's pretty close to what I have with my decel valve lines slightly different.
My car runs perfect.

My question invloves the distributor line. As stated I have left it open and to be tidy I zip tied the line to the fuel line that runs right by. I made sure the line was tied snuggly but still open and breathable.

So.. will this pass SMOG? I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

I originally T-d the line onto the 6mm decel valve line that connects to the manifold nipple very near the distributor, but that made the engine idle at 2000 rpm.

Suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

smile.gif
zonedoubt
Just bury the open end of that hose under the intake so it's not visible.
McMark
Mmmmmm, just remove that hose completely? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 11:44 AM) *

I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

That's why the factory tugged them under the air cleaner ...
shades.gif Andy
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2009, 12:27 PM) *

I am just worried that when a tech sees a vacuum line going nowhere they are going to fail it until it gets properly routed.

shades.gif Andy

Okay so originally I thought "Hmmmm, zip tied under the manifold (how it was when I bought it) will work but it's a bit "sloppy" and probably not how it was stock."
But if the Resident German is telling me that's basically what they did at the factory... well... idea.gif then...
piratenanner.gif
driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 12:37 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Okay so originally I thought "Hmmmm, zip tied under the manifold (how it was when I bought it) will work but it's a bit "sloppy" and probably not how it was stock."
But if the Resident German is telling me that's basically what they did at the factory... well... idea.gif then...
piratenanner.gif
driving.gif

Kinda depends whether your '76 has a port on the TB for an advance line. If it does, you have to attach the line to it. If not, you just use a 3-4 inch piece of vacuum hose and you're done. BTW, the factory DID NOT "tuck it under the manifold". It just sat there, right in plain sight. The Cap'n
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 13 2009, 12:37 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

piratenanner.gif
driving.gif

Kinda depends whether your '76 has a port on the TB for an advance line. If it does, you have to attach the line to it. If not, you just use a 3-4 inch piece of vacuum hose and you're done. BTW, the factory DID NOT "tuck it under the manifold". It just sat there, right in plain sight. The Cap'n

I can't seem to find one. There is a port for the retard pointing straight back towards the rear firewall. A port for the EGR wich points straight towards the battery side firewall. Then ports on the manifold that point diagonally towards the passenger seat/targa pillar one for the decel line (6mm) and another 10mm for the AA Reg(the chart shows the oil breather here and a stacked elbow with both decel valve lines on the other, my oil breather is going to one of the three 10mm ports on the air cleaner ). Then another port that sticks straigt up out of the manifold that has the MPS hooked to it.
Demick
If the smog tech sees an unconnected vacuum port or vacuum line, he will want to fail you. I would make sure that the vacuum line is tucked well away and out of sight to avoid questions.

1974 cars had the advance port on the distributor dashpot and nowhere to connect it on the throttle body. As far as I know, 1975 and 1976 had the advance port removed from both locations. So officially, your car should not have a vacuum advance port on the distributor at all.

Here's a Panorama article from many years ago that I used to bring with me to smog tests in case there was a question (I had a '74)

http://www.demandjen.com/vacuum.pdf

Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Demick @ Apr 13 2009, 02:10 PM) *

If the smog tech sees an unconnected vacuum port or vacuum line, he will want to fail you. I would make sure that the vacuum line is tucked well away and out of sight to avoid questions.

1974 cars had the advance port on the distributor dashpot and nowhere to connect it on the throttle body. As far as I know, 1975 and 1976 had the advance port removed from both locations. So officially, your car should not have a vacuum advance port on the distributor at all.

Here's a Panorama article from many years ago that I used to bring with me to smog tests in case there was a question (I had a '74)

http://www.demandjen.com/vacuum.pdf

WOW smile.gif

Thank you for that article I am going to print that out and bring it with me...
So basically I probably have a distributor from a 74 or older car on my 76... good to know just in case there are other parts like that... I know for a fact my case is correct... hmmm

THANKS!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.