Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> possible oil starvation when driving., noticed this at Hershey.. Help!
type11969
post Apr 30 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Ah, that licks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 30 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #42

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Here's how I did my oil pump. This is all done for you by Jake but you still have to check it. Check to see if the cam bolts clear the case.

Attached Image

And shorten as needed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Check that the cam bolt heads clear the oil pump. These are recessed into the cam gear and I didn't used any washers.

Attached Image

Put the top gear in the pump. If it is for a type 1 it will probably stand proud of the oil pump body when it is in the slot on the cam. Note that the gear is proud of the shaft by quite a ways. You can take advantage of this.

Attached Image

Here's the trick. You can press the gear father onto the shaft and then you still get the right engagement of the shaft into the slot.

Attached Image

Notice how the shaft is nearly flush with the gear now. Make sure you don't run the shaft thru the gear so it is proud of the gear.

Attached Image

The cover now sits flush on the oil pump body and the shaft is fully engaged in the cam. The bolt heads clear the pump and the bolts clear the case.

Attached Image

All that is left is to check cam endplay and oil pump run out.

Dave
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 30 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #43

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 30 2009, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Apr 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *

It is also possible that if the cam gear was not spotfaced for the cam bolts and the backside of the pump was clearanced instead that the shaft supporting the driven pump gear came loose and wreaked some havoc . . .

Can you pull a t1 pump from a 914 without pulling the fan housing/dropping the engine? Or the stock pump for that matter . . .

-Chris

Nope. Engine has to come down, engine bar has to be removed, and fan shroud has to come off.

Zach

I did it. PITA, and you have to pull the engine bar and the mount bar brackets. Took less time than dropping the motor, but it was annoying to work under the car like that. I really need a lift soon.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 07:47 PM