Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: possible oil starvation when driving.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, they car has VERY few miles on it, under 5.

At starting on idle, pressure goes up to ~40.

Start driving, its fine for the fist little bit, then the pressure goes to 0 and the light comes on. If I rev with no load (out of gear, stopped), pressure comes back up.

As soon as the engine gets under load, pressure seems to take a dive.

I am not leaving any oil slicks, and there is oil in the engine (checked many many times.)

Oil smells a bit gassy, but thats probably due to the rings not being seated, as I have not been able to drive the car to seat them, and my carbs are still a little rich.

I am using the VDO dual sender on a steel flex hose to the oil pressure sender outlet.

I took the sender off and cranked the motor (no ignition) and got oil coming out of the hose. Not shooting out of the hose, but oil was moving through it.

I had put teflon tape on the end to prevent leaks, but that has been removed.

Oil pump is supposed to be a high volume pump.

Mike thinks it may just be low oil in the engine, and the dipstick is not original. We need the measurements of a stock /4 dipstick.

Mike is sooooo damn cool and I wish I was more like him. I have such a man crush wub.gif
VaccaRabite
Oh ya, what is the measurement of the dipstick holder from the engine to the top of the holder??? Mine looks JB welded in and aftermarket.

wilchek
Tube is 161mm long. It should stick out of the case for 150 mm. Saw the car yesterday Zach it is looking good. Sorry we didn't stop but we had to get back to pick up the little one from the inlaws.
Cap'n Krusty
A fresh engine takes a little over 4 quarts. If you put 4 quarts in it, you have enough oil. If not, then you should have counted them. Oil level, unless it's REALLY low, shouldn't affect your oil pressure. Clearances are the most likely problem. Of course, your "high volume" oil pump may be at the root of your dilemma.

The Cap'n, "the stock oil pump guy".
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2009, 12:36 PM) *

A fresh engine takes a little over 4 quarts. If you put 4 quarts in it, you have enough oil. If not, then you should have counted them. Oil level, unless it's REALLY low, shouldn't affect your oil pressure. Clearances are the most likely problem. Of course, your "high volume" oil pump may be at the root of your dilemma.

I'm going with this, although my oil pump isn't stock. I had a stock 2.0 with a horrendous vacuum leak that I accidentally ran down to like a quart of oil right before we took it out (was still running as good as it ever did, problend FTW). I also don't trust those relocated pressure senders, mine was always acting up (not that they can't work, mine was just always wonky.)
jsayre914
so who didnt develop a car problem at hershey.??

guy next to me noticed his rear wheels were both rubbing.

i noticed my car dosnt want to start anymore

zach has a oil starvation problem

the white car (apon arrival) was grindin and smelling very clutchy

anyone eles??

blink.gif

and i thought it was just me
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Apr 26 2009, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2009, 12:36 PM) *

I'm going with this, although my oil pump isn't stock. I had a stock 2.0 with a horrendous vacuum leak that I accidentally ran down to like a quart of oil right before we took it out (was still running as good as it ever did, problend FTW). I also don't trust those relocated pressure senders, mine was always acting up (not that they can't work, mine was just always wonky.)

Is the sender unit properly grounded? The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
So, fixed some problems, but not others.

The aftermarket dipstick and tube was NOWHERE near right. I drained the oil and put in 4.5 fresh quarts of Brad Penn 20w-50 (I have a tuna can).

When I poured the old oil out, it was only 2.5 quarts, so I was clearly low.

started the engine and idled it - no oil pressure. removed the VDO sender from the hose and could not get oil out of the hose with the engine idling.

Checked under the car to make sure there were not 4.5 quarts of fresh engine oil under there, and it was dry.

Then I got called in for baby duty. I was pretty frustrated anyhow.

The engine idles nicely. If the engine idles, then the pump is turning. If the pump is turning, I should have oil coming out the hose to the VDO sender. So, why don't I?

Zach
VaccaRabite

> - Schadek 30mm oil pump

This is the pump that is in my engine. Are they prone to failure?

Only way I am getting no pressure right now is to the the oil pump not turning, right?

Or I guess it could be backing out of its housing somehow, but that would be pretty darned unlikely w/o a big puddle of oil to accompany it.

Zach
scotty b
Debris somewhere in the passages

Pressure valve is stuck

you have a midgets finger jammed in the oil circuit somewhere

confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"If the engine idles, then the pump is turning." Oh? Not if it's the wrong pump ........... Or if it's broken.

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 26 2009, 01:18 PM) *

Debris somewhere in the passages

Pressure valve is stuck

you have a midgets finger jammed in the oil circuit somewhere

confused24.gif

the 30mm h.v. pump thing...

i used a new mellings 30mm in mine and was concerned about all the hot oil pressure issues i'd heard about and also the heat problem so many claimed where due to h.v. pumps. what your saying sounds like it could be a bounding releif valve or weak spring

in the past i've used an aftermarket oil bypass spring and valve on a 76' bus that helped hot oil pressure.

again when i built my 2056 i was concerned with the h.v. issues but mostly the heat because when the oil pressure bleeds off oil it also bypasses the oil cooler, thus temp's go up. i shimmed the primary bypass spring with .040 shims. we've put about 100 miles on and have great hot and cold oil pressure along with a very cool running engine, even on last summers 100*+ days. i really think it has to do with the relife valve being in sync with the h.v. pump issue (along with the 9550 cam). did you by chance put the thin oil pump gasket inbetween the outer cover and pump?

what pressure do you start off with and what pressure and at what tempature does it drop?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 26 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Mike thinks it may just be low oil in the engine, and the dipstick is not original. We need the measurements of a stock /4 dipstick.

Mike is sooooo damn cool and I wish I was more like him. I have such a man crush wub.gif

blink.gif I knew it! tongue.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 26 2009, 05:38 PM) *

the 30mm h.v. pump thing...

i used a new mellings 30mm in mine and was concerned about all the hot oil pressure issues i'd heard about and also the heat problem so many claimed where due to h.v. pumps. what your saying sounds like it could be a bounding releif valve or weak spring

again when i built my 2056 i was concerned with the h.v. issues but mostly the heat because when the oil pressure bleeds off oil it also bypasses the oil cooler, thus temp's go up. i shimmed the primary bypass spring with .040 shims. we've put about 100 miles on and have great hot and cold oil pressure along with a very cool running engine, even on last summers 100*+ days. i really think it has to do with the relife valve being in sync with the h.v. pump issue (along with the 9550 cam). did you by chance put the thin oil pump gasket inbetween the outer cover and pump?

what pressure do you start off with and what pressure and at what tempature does it drop?

Temps: not high enough to matter, I think. Head temps under 200. Literally, I have less then 5 miles on the motor. I have not put it under load enough to seat the rings yet. I drove the car maybe a mile in Hershey, when I noticed the problem.

After fiddling with it at home, I drove it about 300 yards when I went from 40 pounds to 0 pounds. That was due to not having enough oil in the engine, due to the after market dipstick being wrong on the oil fill line.

Looking at the diagram on Page 20 of the Haynes manual, I should have a dierct path from the pump to the pressure gauge sender. Course, that may be incorrect.

Zach

type47
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 26 2009, 01:14 PM) *

so who didnt develop a car problem at hershey.??

anyone eles??

blink.gif

and i thought it was just me

biggrin.gif I thought I would be good and install an oil pressure gauge with the remote hose and dual sender. ... leaked like a seive! Leaked so bad that Root couldn't follow me because he got oil on his windshield! Had to swap back the original sender and didn't leak a drop on the way home. My oil pressure was way high I thought, around 55 psi cruising at about 70.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2009, 06:06 PM) *

"If the engine idles, then the pump is turning." Oh? Not if it's the wrong pump ........... Or if it's broken.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Ever see an engine blow at a vw show.
Some of them last a long time, with no oil.

Check the pump.

Rich
Dr Evil
What is the usual failure mode on the /4 oil pump? His pressure was up and then down and then up confused24.gif I do think it is the pump, though.
r_towle
It was up, then down...now zero.
Tang can break off if it was crooked, wrong length, jammed.

You gotta measure all the clearances..
depth of pump, size of tang..length of tang.

I have seen pumps that dont reach far enough, and some that the body it to deep so when you tighten down the pump, it bind and breaks the tang.

Rich
Dr Evil
I bet a Melling will fix this.
r_towle
why not just use a stock pump?

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 26 2009, 11:26 PM) *

why not just use a stock pump?

Rich

agree.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(esses62 @ Apr 26 2009, 06:46 PM) *

"so who didnt develop a car problem at hershey.??

guy next to me noticed his rear wheels were both rubbing.

i noticed my car dosnt want to start anymore

zach has a oil starvation problem

the white car (apon arrival) was grindin and smelling very clutchy

anyone eles??

blink.gif

and i thought it was just me"

Drove to Hershey Saturday morning (200 miles) with Ray, Rich, Tim, Chris Foley, Jeff, and Jerry.
Click to view attachment
When we left the Palmirya Hotel to head out to Hershey Saturday morning. My car didn't want to start right up. It took a few cranks but I got her started. Tim's tangerine 1.7 wouldn't start either. Jeff lent a hand with a Quarter. Damn she started right up aktion035.gif

Got to fix that hot start problem. Other than that drove about 400 miles this weekend no major problems w00t.gif

Scott
73 2.0

My 1.8 ran flawlessly. bootyshake.gif
70mph average speed over 300 mile return trip distance, 185 degree peak oil temp, 86mph peak speed somewhere on the Merritt Parkway in CT, 25+ mpg with about 1000 miles on the engine.
Just over 3400rpm at 75mph. driving.gif
I have never driven a 914 that far before. biggrin.gif
4 hours 15 minutes non-stop except for a quick pee break
I love the sound of my Tangerine Exhaust, especially with the window down. Sweet music! smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif
The dual 40 Dellortos are a bit loud though. beer.gif

Oh, that was Ed with the quarter on your starter.
yeahmag
An easy and surefire way to check is to remove the oil filter and see if it pumps oil out. If it doesn't you broke the tang off your pump. Did you get this from Jake? Was it all ready clearanced?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 26 2009, 11:12 PM) *

An easy and surefire way to check is to remove the oil filter and see if it pumps oil out. If it doesn't you broke the tang off your pump. Did you get this from Jake? Was it all ready clearanced?

Maybe?
The guy I bought the engine from got some parts from Jake, some parts from other places.

When I pull it (maybe this weekend if I can wrangle time) I'll find out what I am looking it. I wanted to pull the exhaust off for ceramic coating anyhow after the MEI.

Zach
yeahmag
No need to pull it for this test. Just spin off the oil filter and crank it over with a drain pan and the coil wire removed.
type2man
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 27 2009, 01:22 PM) *

No need to pull it for this test. Just spin off the oil filter and crank it over with a drain pan and the coil wire removed.

agree.gif And if you see no oil coming out, do not run it anymore until you find out the problem. Your tang probably broke off the oil pump or the gear on the pump wasnt pressed in properly onto the shaft(I've seen it). I would go with a factory pump, they work great.

Patrick
Dr Evil
Happy happy joy joy rolleyes.gif Do we really need to do the filter test since the oil pump is either bad or there is a monster blockage in the case? I am not a gainst a stock pump, this is a 2056 and if stock works I would support Zach using one.
yeahmag
I was suggesting that as a final idiot test only...
type11969
Zach-

I have a couple of stock pumps if you need one. I think the 30mm oil pumps are overkill too and can lead to hotter oil (saw that in my beetle), but that isn't your issue here. I also have a 30mm t1 pump floating around somewhere too that should be set up properly for a t4 if you want to stick with a 30mm unit.

-Chris
rhodyguy
your sump pickup tube has the extension on it for the tuna can, correct?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 27 2009, 04:12 PM) *

your sump pickup tube has the extension on it for the tuna can, correct?

Yes, but I am thinking about removing the can. I don't like that it hangs lower then the engine bar.
r_towle
QUOTE(esses62 @ Apr 27 2009, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 26 2009, 11:51 PM) *

QUOTE(esses62 @ Apr 26 2009, 06:46 PM) *

"so who didnt develop a car problem at hershey.??

Drove to Hershey Saturday morning (200 miles) with Ray, Rich, Tim, Chris Foley, Jeff, and Jerry.
Click to view attachment
When we left the Palmirya Hotel to head out to Hershey Saturday morning. My car didn't want to start right up. It took a few cranks but I got her started. Tim's tangerine 1.7 wouldn't start either. Jeff lent a hand with a Quarter. Damn she started right up aktion035.gif

Got to fix that hot start problem. Other than that drove about 400 miles this weekend no major problems w00t.gif

Scott
73 2.0

Oh, that was Ed with the quarter on your starter.

That is correct Chris. Tell Ed I'm sorry about the mix up. For some reason he reminds me of a Jeff. Well thank him anyway for getting Tim's heap out of the way lol-2.gif

How does he do that Quarter trick anyway. Is he jumping the stater solenoid? Or is he doing something by the alternator?

Just so happens Sunday night went to get into the car to pull it into the garage and the car wouldn't start. Headlights were dim. Put a meter on the battery it was testing at 12.5volts at rest. Would love to know how Ed does it. poke.gif

Nice driving with the two of you on the way down. Man your ass must hurt with those seats

Jump large 12vdc positive battery terminal at the starter to the small yellow wire terminal on the solenoid.

Rich
Dr Evil
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 27 2009, 03:26 PM) *

Not being down on your idea wink.gif
yeahmag
You almost made me cry... happy11.gif

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 27 2009, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 27 2009, 03:26 PM) *

Not being down on your idea wink.gif

Rubber Boa
A year ago or so I build a 2.4+ 2L 200hrp. and when I put in the big volume pump I had to grid off the input paddle because it was to long? thick can't remember. but that sucker needs a lot of oil and I have never had the problem. The man i worked with told me I would have problems if I did not do this mod. I will ask him tomorrow what we did and why.

Boa
charliew
If it is the old bug deal the cam gears set at different depths inside the case, one has more dish than the other and the pumps need to match the depth so that full contact is between them. Unneeded volume (more volume is how you make more pressure) means a lot higher oil temps when the oil doesn't have anywhere to go (I think 340 df is boiling) and sometimes boiling makes air bubbles and air don't work in bearings.
VaccaRabite
I'm going to be buying one of Jakes cam kits tomorrow since I am splitting the case when I autopsy the engine. When I talk to him, I am going to ask him about overpressure with a 30mm pump.
r_towle
Zach,
To ensure that you learn what is going on....get a set of calipers and measure the pump...the length of the tang..the depth of the hole in the case and the depth of the tang in the camshaft.

This is where the issues arise.
All the pumps work in the original location....the issues happen when you use a pump designed for a type one and put it in a type 4.
Its all depth related, not diameter, and not to much oil pressure.

RIch
type11969
It is also possible that if the cam gear was not spotfaced for the cam bolts and the backside of the pump was clearanced instead that the shaft supporting the driven pump gear came loose and wreaked some havoc . . .

Can you pull a t1 pump from a 914 without pulling the fan housing/dropping the engine? Or the stock pump for that matter . . .

-Chris
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(type11969 @ Apr 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *

It is also possible that if the cam gear was not spotfaced for the cam bolts and the backside of the pump was clearanced instead that the shaft supporting the driven pump gear came loose and wreaked some havoc . . .

Can you pull a t1 pump from a 914 without pulling the fan housing/dropping the engine? Or the stock pump for that matter . . .

-Chris

Nope. Engine has to come down, engine bar has to be removed, and fan shroud has to come off.

Zach
type11969
Ah, that licks
DNHunt
Here's how I did my oil pump. This is all done for you by Jake but you still have to check it. Check to see if the cam bolts clear the case.

Click to view attachment

And shorten as needed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Check that the cam bolt heads clear the oil pump. These are recessed into the cam gear and I didn't used any washers.

Click to view attachment

Put the top gear in the pump. If it is for a type 1 it will probably stand proud of the oil pump body when it is in the slot on the cam. Note that the gear is proud of the shaft by quite a ways. You can take advantage of this.

Click to view attachment

Here's the trick. You can press the gear father onto the shaft and then you still get the right engagement of the shaft into the slot.

Click to view attachment

Notice how the shaft is nearly flush with the gear now. Make sure you don't run the shaft thru the gear so it is proud of the gear.

Click to view attachment

The cover now sits flush on the oil pump body and the shaft is fully engaged in the cam. The bolt heads clear the pump and the bolts clear the case.

Click to view attachment

All that is left is to check cam endplay and oil pump run out.

Dave
McMark
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 30 2009, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(type11969 @ Apr 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *

-Chris

Nope. Engine has to come down, engine bar has to be removed, and fan shroud has to come off.

Zach

I did it. PITA, and you have to pull the engine bar and the mount bar brackets. Took less time than dropping the motor, but it was annoying to work under the car like that. I really need a lift soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.