Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Getting really old CA VIN info?
smontanaro
post Apr 28 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My mom owned a Swallow Doretti when I was a little tyke in California back in the mid- to late-50s. Dorettis are quite rare. I believe about 250-300 were built.

Fast forward to a few days ago. A Doretti guy I've communicated with off-and-on with via email for about five years or so has come across a basket case in the SF area and thinks it might be my mom's car. Obviously, if it really is, I'd be interested in buying it (if I could afford what the owner is asking price, which is an unknown at this point). Key to my interest in the car is finding out whether or not it really is my mom's car.

Alas, I have absolutely no paperwork for the car. No old insurance papers, mechanic's receipts, nothing. The only thing I do have is the license plate number you can see in the above picture (HJM 452). To those of you who have experience dealing with the CA DMV, is there any way to get the car's VIN (at least) based on the plate number?

Thanks,

Skip
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmill
post Apr 28 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Green Hornet

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

BTDT. The answer is no. They purge their records of everything that hasn't been registered in 5 years. I had a car I bought in California and then moved to Wisconsin. The loan I had was from a bank in Ca. When it was paid off the bank sent me the title. It got lost in the mail. I called the California DMV asking for another title. Even with a lien release they couldn't give it to me. They had no record at all of the car because I had it registered in Wi not Ca. I even had the old Ca plate and the Vin. No record = no title. The Wisconsin DMV hooked me up with a title but it was a 2 month nightmare.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:55 AM