Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Getting really old CA VIN info?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
My mom owned a Swallow Doretti when I was a little tyke in California back in the mid- to late-50s. Dorettis are quite rare. I believe about 250-300 were built.

Fast forward to a few days ago. A Doretti guy I've communicated with off-and-on with via email for about five years or so has come across a basket case in the SF area and thinks it might be my mom's car. Obviously, if it really is, I'd be interested in buying it (if I could afford what the owner is asking price, which is an unknown at this point). Key to my interest in the car is finding out whether or not it really is my mom's car.

Alas, I have absolutely no paperwork for the car. No old insurance papers, mechanic's receipts, nothing. The only thing I do have is the license plate number you can see in the above picture (HJM 452). To those of you who have experience dealing with the CA DMV, is there any way to get the car's VIN (at least) based on the plate number?

Thanks,

Skip
jmill
BTDT. The answer is no. They purge their records of everything that hasn't been registered in 5 years. I had a car I bought in California and then moved to Wisconsin. The loan I had was from a bank in Ca. When it was paid off the bank sent me the title. It got lost in the mail. I called the California DMV asking for another title. Even with a lien release they couldn't give it to me. They had no record at all of the car because I had it registered in Wi not Ca. I even had the old Ca plate and the Vin. No record = no title. The Wisconsin DMV hooked me up with a title but it was a 2 month nightmare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.