Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ALignment & corner balance reveals bent traling arm, what now?
echocanyons
post Apr 30 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

Things were going great, the car is running good, got new tires and the car feels very balanced and solid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

In preparation for the WCR (and after getting new tires and replacing the rear suspension) I had a full alignment and corner balance done.
I was supposed to pick it up today and I get a call that they can't bring the right rear into spec. So must be a bent trailing arm.

I had previously noticed a bit more than usual neg camber to the passenger side trailing arm and am not to suprised, but still another freakin hangup.

I haven't seen how far off spec it is but what would be an acceptable variance, without eating up tires.

My alternative is yanking the T/A and swapping the bits from the bent arm to a spare that I have (I new my 2-3 tons of extra parts would come in handy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ).

The other problem is that I am limited in time, I leave town for a conference this weekend and work until the WCR, how long of a job do you think swapping a trailing arm would be?

Either way it's looking like the right rear will not be aligned professionally before the WCR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

At least it wasn't all bad, the good news was it was within 3lbs of being perfectly balanced before he even touched it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 30 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

don't track it, or push it too hard. drive to california, have a fun time, and fix it upon your return home. jmho.

k
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 30 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Drive it for now and replace later ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 30 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #4

Ski Bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 128

If you have the tools and the parts you can do the swap in a few hours! But I agree with others that you should fix it later and do the "while I am in here" stuff at the same time! I had to do the same thing, bent trailing arm, and when I got the arm off the suspension ear was ovaled and needed to be welded up and re drilled!

Not my photos but you get the idea!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:35 PM