Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ALignment & corner balance reveals bent traling arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Things were going great, the car is running good, got new tires and the car feels very balanced and solid. driving.gif

In preparation for the WCR (and after getting new tires and replacing the rear suspension) I had a full alignment and corner balance done.
I was supposed to pick it up today and I get a call that they can't bring the right rear into spec. So must be a bent trailing arm.

I had previously noticed a bit more than usual neg camber to the passenger side trailing arm and am not to suprised, but still another freakin hangup.

I haven't seen how far off spec it is but what would be an acceptable variance, without eating up tires.

My alternative is yanking the T/A and swapping the bits from the bent arm to a spare that I have (I new my 2-3 tons of extra parts would come in handy rolleyes.gif ).

The other problem is that I am limited in time, I leave town for a conference this weekend and work until the WCR, how long of a job do you think swapping a trailing arm would be?

Either way it's looking like the right rear will not be aligned professionally before the WCR. sad.gif

At least it wasn't all bad, the good news was it was within 3lbs of being perfectly balanced before he even touched it. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
don't track it, or push it too hard. drive to california, have a fun time, and fix it upon your return home. jmho.

k
SirAndy
Drive it for now and replace later ...
driving.gif Andy
Jeffs9146
If you have the tools and the parts you can do the swap in a few hours! But I agree with others that you should fix it later and do the "while I am in here" stuff at the same time! I had to do the same thing, bent trailing arm, and when I got the arm off the suspension ear was ovaled and needed to be welded up and re drilled!

Not my photos but you get the idea!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.