Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOW, my "solid" car aint so solid, but now it is solid!, It is off jack stands!!!
wayne1234
post May 8 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,238
Region Association: None

I'm gonna save her, i got all the bad out on the Hell hole and long and top of the motor mount. its all squared off. and it needs a little more finesse, then I can make my templates. I have been a little lazy to post pics.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
highways
post May 9 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,296

It's good you're motivated to save her. There are alot of other things though that you could also consider diving into though to really make the car nice again. Dropping the engine with 2 jacks and the wheels off isn't hard at all (pelicanparts has the how to article). Then you could start doing stuff like getting the engine tin and other parts powder coated all nice. Get all the bolts and hardware zinc plated. Make room so you can really go to town attacking one rust area after another. You have alot of welding ahead of you to make that car right. MIG welder with variable wire speed and variable voltage, at the low settings, is really the only way to go. I did some hell hole repairs, and suspension console replacement on mine. Then I rebuilt all the suspension (all the original rubber bushings will be compressed and shot). Got some rebuilt brake calipers from Eric Shay- you don't want to be driving with 35 year old brakes. 5 lug upgrade parts from various world members. Now I have a solid car and completely rebuilt suspension. Popped the original engine back in with 115k miles and the car runs great as my daily driver. Haven't done paint yet... but I'll get to it. I've put about $4500 into it and spent about 9 months doing it at a pretty leasurely pace. Could've done it a little cheaper if I wasn't replacing mirrors, glass, various details here and there and ofcourse the 5 lug upgrade. But it's worth it.

Judging by your rust situation, you're going to want to examine the suspension console ears, longitudinals behind the rocker panels, jack points, interior floor boards (scrapping out the tar), seat mount brackets, clutch tube firewall bracket, ect. Like some other members said... your rust situation looks heavy. Good rule of thumb is that for every bit of rust you can see... there's 60% more hidden under the paint extending out from what you see. Getting the car apart is the only way to truly evaluate what you're up against and decide if you should shop for a rust free tub instead. Your car probably has nice parts... use them on a solid tub!

Here's a portion of my project: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...54896&st=40

If I was doing it again... I would pay to get the whole thing walnut shell blasted and start fresh. And I wouldn't mess with a tub that's much rustier than mine was.
+Quote Post
veltror
post May 10 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,978

Soda blast it rather then walnut shells, much less damage... glad you are saving it, you should see the state of mine and I am saving it...
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 10 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

When a unibody car has a lot of rust that is obvious there is always going to be rust in places you can't imagine. Inside the lower targabar, inside the rear quarters, inside the tops of the front fenders, on the backside of the door hinge pillars, around the door catch inside bracket, up around the door jamb vent, inside the doublewall firewall, on the inside bottom of the doors, there are so many places that are not obvious that are always rusty. Also just because new metal is put in place of the obvious spots the heat from the welding means that unless both sides are treated and sealed it will be back and won't take as long as it originally did as this time the metal was heated way more than the first time it was spot welded together and both side of the metal was coated. Actually a rust free tub may be a impossibility but one that requires singlewall repairs where both sides can be treated is a far better restore than building a complete tub.
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post May 11 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #25

Well I have decided to go the easier route and drop the engine.You guys are right, maybe someone has travled this path already. Ive almost got it out except I didnt have the spline drive needed to get the cv axles out. my engine mount is too far gone to save that is the reason for engine removal. I feel I could have fixed the hell hole with the engine in there. but all I have left are the cv axles and remove the carbs. and I only have a little over a hour in the removal so far. And I'm going to fix the oil leaks. and paint the tins as suggested. and make her nice. here are a couple of shots or the removed rusty areas. and check out what I dug out of my toolbox from like 8 years ago. it is a small sandblaster that recirculates the sand so very little mess. it only does about a nickle size spot at a time. spray for about 2-3 seconds then move on. it will help me get all the tiny rust out without making a huge mess. and it cant be worse than scraping out the tar which will come later. My old project, The chopper in the corner feels lonely. Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post May 11 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #26

here is the mini sand blaster and my bikeAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 9 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #27

Progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) .. Well after the girlfriend got her newto her car the Porsche got banished from the garage.. and she sat under the car cover... recently a friend has been helping me and we have been working on the car 3-4 hours at a time a couple night a week, man it takes a while... finished getting the motor out.. removed the motor mount and guess what it was pretty flimsy under there, so we cut it out and made up some new metal doing a double layer just like the factory did.. got the mount back in and made a inner fender piece, that was a chore, turned out decent and it is totally strong. now just some more repair on the pan in between the firewall and the inner passenger compartment that 2" strip across the car . it too has some rot.. then I need to finish welding up what the PO had tried to replace .. which is only spot welded in a couple of spots...
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 9 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #28

what was left of the motor mount pics

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 10 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #29

oops a little big lets try this

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 10 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #30

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 10 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #31

with the inner fender well in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Attached Image
reminder of what it wasAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 10 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #32

The girlfriends car that kicked the Porsche out of the way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) temporally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 10 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #33

Feels like I'm making some real progress. What do you guys think? Trying to keep my motivation up. I'm also looking for some input. Since I have the engine out I'm going to do a texture/ undercoat , should I go back to yellow in the compartment , Since it has the slope nose it obviously not a factory true "restoration" , but would it put people off if I ever go to sell (I Doubt I ever will) it if I leave it black like the PO has already painted? which also means the front trunk area, and the interior tub.....
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 10 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #34

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Oct 10 2009, 09:19 AM) *

Feels like I'm making some real progress. What do you guys think? Trying to keep my motivation up. I'm also looking for some input. Since I have the engine out I'm going to do a texture/ undercoat , should I go back to yellow in the compartment , Since it has the slope nose it obviously not a factory true "restoration" , but would it put people off if I ever go to sell (I Doubt I ever will) it if I leave it black like the PO has already painted? which also means the front trunk area, and the interior tub.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'd go with yellow. In my experience, brighter colors make the engine bay look cleaner.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 10 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #35

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

In my experience, lighter colors show the dirt a lot more than darker ones. Maybe grey or silver wouldn't, but yellow does.

Light colors really throw the light around, making it easier to see stuff.

--DD
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Oct 10 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #36

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

Wayne, is that the car that was in the classifieds here at the beginning of summer? If it was he said he just restored it(wtf). I passed on that car at the last minute. Repairs would have been beyond my abilities. Good thing for me on my last minute decision. Good luck with the repair.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 10 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(faux916 @ Oct 10 2009, 12:42 PM) *

Wayne, is that the car that was in the classifieds here at the beginning of summer? If it was he said he just restored it(wtf). I passed on that car at the last minute. Repairs would have been beyond my abilities. Good thing for me on my last minute decision. Good luck with the repair.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I almost contacted the seller about that car too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Glad to see your fixing it. Keep up the good work
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 11 2009, 02:15 AM
Post #38

WTF indeed,,,, Yep I bought it off a member on here this summer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) he got rid of it when he got his 5K 911... It was fairly close to me and I got all excited,, and had looked at some of his "rebuild" pictures on here and his paint how to's... Talked to him a few times,,, and had convinced myself I was going to get a 914. I met him halfway and literally took less than 10 minutes looking at it.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) my mistake... but there is no going back in time and it is what it is. Ill eventually get her going again and the car will be solid then. I am thinking about getting another one that is more factory without the slope nose. or another crazy idea is to graft back on the fender fronts... havent decided. At first I really liked the slope nose. Now I envy the factory style... Since we already have 8 vehicles whats one more right? Actually the problem is the garage or lack there of... Thanks for the coments it hopefully will keep me motivated at the task at hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post Oct 11 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 8,978

Keep going, mine is/was bad and I am still with it, it will be worth it in the end.

Roman
+Quote Post
wayne1234
post Oct 31 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #40

Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:53 PM