Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting 1975 exhaust to pre 75 exhaust
Geezer914
post May 6 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Geezer914

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

How much horse power will I gain by switching out the heat exchangers from a 1975 to the pre 75 dual exit heat exchangers and adding a Monza muffler?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 6 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

3 - 5 maybe.

Horsepower is not the only consideration though.
+Quote Post
maf914
post May 6 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

I backdated the exhaust on my 76 from completely stock to 74 style SS heat exchangers and a Bursch quiet extractor muffler. I liked the result but I can't really say I felt a big increase in power. It may have just been the exhaust note but it felt as if the engine was a bit more lively above 3500 rpm.

I will say that many years ago I tried a Monza 4-tip muffler on my stock 76 heat exchangers. I found it to be too noisy for my taste. At first it was fun but after a couple of months I found I was driving to reduce the noise. I would coast into my driveway because I didn't want to annoy the neighbors. I know, what a wimp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But in less than a year I had replaced the monza with the stock muffler system (had to buy a new secondary muffler which are now NLA I think) and thought good riddance. Several years later when I went to the Bursch quiet I was a little wary, but I found the sound to be reasonable. IMHO, if you go with a Monza just be prepared for some noise.

+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 6 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #4

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

I will say that many years ago I tried a Monza 4-tip muffler on my stock 76 heat exchangers. I found it to be too noisy for my taste. At first it was fun but after a couple of months I found I was driving to reduce the noise. I would coast into my driveway because I didn't want to annoy the neighbors. I know, what a wimp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But in less than a year I had replaced the monza with the stock muffler system (had to buy a new secondary muffler which are now NLA I think) and thought good riddance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) IMHO, if you go with a Monza just be prepared for some noise.
[/quote]

everytime I drove through Apt complexes........I would set
off all the car alarms.....I got tired of that!!!(went back to stock) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Jerry75914
post May 6 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,640
Region Association: Northern California

I actually just did a 2.0 backdate to my 1975 1.8L. It seems much more lively, and a step or two quicker according to my butt-dyno. Then again, I also had the valves, dwell and timing adjusted at the same time, so it could be a combination of several things. I did notice that it ran much cooler than the stock setup.

Thanks again to everyone at the Sacramento swap meet for setting me up with parts and advice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:30 PM