Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting 1975 exhaust to pre 75 exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
How much horse power will I gain by switching out the heat exchangers from a 1975 to the pre 75 dual exit heat exchangers and adding a Monza muffler?
SLITS
3 - 5 maybe.

Horsepower is not the only consideration though.
maf914
I backdated the exhaust on my 76 from completely stock to 74 style SS heat exchangers and a Bursch quiet extractor muffler. I liked the result but I can't really say I felt a big increase in power. It may have just been the exhaust note but it felt as if the engine was a bit more lively above 3500 rpm.

I will say that many years ago I tried a Monza 4-tip muffler on my stock 76 heat exchangers. I found it to be too noisy for my taste. At first it was fun but after a couple of months I found I was driving to reduce the noise. I would coast into my driveway because I didn't want to annoy the neighbors. I know, what a wimp. laugh.gif But in less than a year I had replaced the monza with the stock muffler system (had to buy a new secondary muffler which are now NLA I think) and thought good riddance. Several years later when I went to the Bursch quiet I was a little wary, but I found the sound to be reasonable. IMHO, if you go with a Monza just be prepared for some noise.

Drums66

I will say that many years ago I tried a Monza 4-tip muffler on my stock 76 heat exchangers. I found it to be too noisy for my taste. At first it was fun but after a couple of months I found I was driving to reduce the noise. I would coast into my driveway because I didn't want to annoy the neighbors. I know, what a wimp. laugh.gif But in less than a year I had replaced the monza with the stock muffler system (had to buy a new secondary muffler which are now NLA I think) and thought good riddance. shades.gif IMHO, if you go with a Monza just be prepared for some noise.
[/quote]

everytime I drove through Apt complexes........I would set
off all the car alarms.....I got tired of that!!!(went back to stock) idea.gif
Jerry75914
I actually just did a 2.0 backdate to my 1975 1.8L. It seems much more lively, and a step or two quicker according to my butt-dyno. Then again, I also had the valves, dwell and timing adjusted at the same time, so it could be a combination of several things. I did notice that it ran much cooler than the stock setup.

Thanks again to everyone at the Sacramento swap meet for setting me up with parts and advice! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.