Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headlight Issues, Only one per side works (H/L)
MBowman325
post May 14 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,413
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been having issues with my headlights and I'd made the assumption that a filament was burned out and decided to pull the trigger on some H4s

They came in today and after doing the more pressing stuff (o-ring for angle drive and functional rear shocks) I stuck these on.

Low and behold - they're wonderfully bright compared to the old ones but...

On low, only the left one lights up and on high only the right one lights up..

I've been looking for my meter (I swear I saw it the other day) to test for things.. Once I find it I'll be able to dig deeper. If I can't find it I may use one of the old headlights as a test light... That said, does anyone have any suggestions? The fuses all look good as well.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post May 14 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #2

While none of the fuses looked bad, I went ahead and replaced the first 6. Now I'm just to the point where the left high doesn't work...

Regardless, even on low, these (Hella H4) are putting out more than the old sealed beams did on high. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
70Sixter
post May 22 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

If they are high power (80-100W) you should put a relay to protect the wiring to the switch and the switch. The current draw can arc across the switch contacts.
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post May 22 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #4

They're the lower power (55W) though I plan on eventually adding in the relays for it. When I went that route on my Monte (and Impala) the output was noticeable with the direct feed versus the drop suffered running through the switch.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 22 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

For this, get a test light at the FLAPS.

Then start at the fuse block. With the high beams on, take the first 2 fuses out of the fuse block (starting from the left). Then test the contacts with a test light. You should have power to (IIRC) the bottom contacts. Repeat for fuses 3 and 4 with the low beams on.

If you have power, then clean the fuse box contacts and replace the fuses.

IF that doesn't fix it, pull the headlights and test the white wires with the high beams, and the yellow wires with the low beams.

If it doesn't have power to the fuse block, pull the fuse block down and check the back of it for bad or corroded connections.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 06:08 AM