Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I've been having issues with my headlights and I'd made the assumption that a filament was burned out and decided to pull the trigger on some H4s

They came in today and after doing the more pressing stuff (o-ring for angle drive and functional rear shocks) I stuck these on.

Low and behold - they're wonderfully bright compared to the old ones but...

On low, only the left one lights up and on high only the right one lights up..

I've been looking for my meter (I swear I saw it the other day) to test for things.. Once I find it I'll be able to dig deeper. If I can't find it I may use one of the old headlights as a test light... That said, does anyone have any suggestions? The fuses all look good as well.

Thanks!
MBowman325
While none of the fuses looked bad, I went ahead and replaced the first 6. Now I'm just to the point where the left high doesn't work...

Regardless, even on low, these (Hella H4) are putting out more than the old sealed beams did on high. smile.gif

70Sixter
If they are high power (80-100W) you should put a relay to protect the wiring to the switch and the switch. The current draw can arc across the switch contacts.
MBowman325
They're the lower power (55W) though I plan on eventually adding in the relays for it. When I went that route on my Monte (and Impala) the output was noticeable with the direct feed versus the drop suffered running through the switch.
ClayPerrine
For this, get a test light at the FLAPS.

Then start at the fuse block. With the high beams on, take the first 2 fuses out of the fuse block (starting from the left). Then test the contacts with a test light. You should have power to (IIRC) the bottom contacts. Repeat for fuses 3 and 4 with the low beams on.

If you have power, then clean the fuse box contacts and replace the fuses.

IF that doesn't fix it, pull the headlights and test the white wires with the high beams, and the yellow wires with the low beams.

If it doesn't have power to the fuse block, pull the fuse block down and check the back of it for bad or corroded connections.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.