Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Six Conversion - School Bus Yellow, 1st time conversion project for me
MikeSpraggi
post May 20 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I find this '70 914 on Craigslist for $700. Says it's only a shell. Has flares and 5 bolt 911 pattern on all 4 wheels. I call, make an appointment for 2 days later. Car looks like it has good bones. I asked "what happened to the engine and trans?" The guy says, "Oh, it runs". So I buy it. It's going to be my DE/track car. That was THREE years ago. So to get the original six off the track, I started to "put" the project together.

I had been collecting parts for a six conversion for about 10 years or so. I have just about everything I need, but, this is a LOT of work and a LOT of $$$ if you add it all up. Wife keeps asking, when is it going to be finished ............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Here are some pics.

As seen on Craigslist in Philly in Feb of 2006. FG bumpers did not come with the car, but a 1.7L engine did.
Attached Image Attached Image

2 years later after I bought the FG hood and trunk and replica Fuchs
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post May 21 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #2

I haven't done anything like this, but have been reading the 914 Forums for quite some time.

Starting down the road .....
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This was some of the worst rust .. front trunk rubber seal area
Attached Image

Rear trunk stripped and primed .....
Attached Image

Fitting the can for the fuel cell
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post May 21 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Setting up fitment for the air dam I bought more than 10 years ago for my 1st 914. Need to fabricate the mounting brackets.
Attached Image

Purschased Koni yellows all the way around along with 16X7 front and 16X8 Phone dials ..
Attached Image

A little more progress on the interior ...
Attached Image

Had to frabricate brackets for the Mazda RX-7 front mounted oil cooler ....
Attached Image

Pattern for the air dam mounting brackets .. probably will make the real ones next week.
Attached Image

Checking fitment of air dam and oil cooler ... need to cut out the brake cooling ducts. Spent a LOT of time redoing the air dam. Not perfect, but hey, it's a track car!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post May 21 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

have you considered opening up the fuel firewall and moving the cell rearward?....

its really much better for weight distribution with no loss of rigidity.
(not as sealed of a trunk floor though... but its not going to be a DD is it?)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post May 21 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #5

Picked up side shifter in N.J. about 2 months ago. Need to have Dr. Evil go over it.
Power is a (ahem) 2.2L six .... maybe a little north of stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) .

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

As I said, I have never done anything like this or close to this. I knew these projects were "big" in scope and $$$$. I also knew it's good when you can purchase someone else's unfinished or unwanted project. But no, I had to experieince the whole thing myself!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

............ Still no regrets. Want to get it on the track sometime this summer. Couldn't do it without this forum. THANKS!!
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post May 21 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(brant @ May 20 2009, 11:30 PM) *

have you considered opening up the fuel firewall and moving the cell rearward?....

its really much better for weight distribution with no loss of rigidity.
(not as sealed of a trunk floor though... but its not going to be a DD is it?)

I did consider that, however a 16 qt Peterson oil tank will be located where the stock gas tank is currently sitting. I've seen a number of cars configured as you mentioned, makes a lot of sense.
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 21 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nicely done man! Good progress & looks to be a great start to your future track days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post May 21 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #8

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

That is a great project and a nice looking engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Keep posting the pictures, you can never have too many resto and build pictures.

That will be a fantastic track car when you are done.

John
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post May 21 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #9

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

Before it's too late... I've been told (by guys who know this stuff) that you want a 1:2 venting ratio on the oil cooler. You're setup with putting the cooler in front of the vent holes in the chassis may severly limit it's cooling abilities not to mention you run a good chance of damaging it on any unwanted off track excursions. Most guys put it on the trunk side of those holes. There's a guy on Ebay selling the original GT type glass vents as well to make the job a little easier.
+Quote Post
type47
post May 21 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #10

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

Nice! Good to finally see some of your project even though we're close in location. I'd like to talk to you about your body prepping, ie, the primer, primer application method, etc. I have a project that needs removal of old primer and re-primer application.
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post May 15 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #11

Been doing body work and other odd and ends to prep the my track car for paint, suspension and engine installation. Just got the car back from the paint shop today. This is a budget job, but I'm really happy with it (for a track car. I bought the paint, did much of the body work and took it all to Maaco and had them shoot the car; exterior, interior and trunks! They did a decent job with what they had to work with.

Hauled the car up to GT Performance in Edgewood, Md. for the suspension and engine install. I can't believe this is really happening. It's been a dream for more than 20 years but life always came first (wife, kids, house, school. etc.). I still have all of the aforementioned thankfully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . Anyways, more $$$ to complete. Smart people who want to track a car will buy someone else's project, I knew that ... I'm just not smart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .

On its' way to the paint shop.
Attached Image

After paint shop and at GT Performance.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 15 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Nice progress... I dig orange race cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
veltror
post May 16 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,978
Region Association: None

Exactly what colour has it been painted?
+Quote Post
carr914
post May 16 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #14

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

If it is a Track Car, get rid of those Replica Fuchs & buy some real wheels.

T.C.

Sorry, I saw that you bought some Cookie Cutters, but I thought that Cookies were only available in 6" & 7"s, not 8"s
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Oct 25 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #15

I thought this project was going to be ready by the end of this past summer. Guess again! Sure, I was a little optimistic and really wanting to get the green /6 off of the track 'cause it's really taking a beating. Last track event at VIR I snapped the passenger side U-tab for the anti-sway bar drop link. Fortunately, got it welded back on at the track by a Grand-Am team whose shop is located at the track. Anyways, a couple of more pics of the track car progress.

Here's the car on the lift at GT Performance. The 911 struts and anti-sway bar have been installed.
Attached Image

Here is the Autopower weld-in roll cage installed. The windshield has since been removed.
Attached Image

Gas tank cavity clear out for anti-sway bar installation and soon to be installed Peterson 16 quart oil tank.
Attached Image

I have since decided on moving the Mazda RX-7 oil cooler inside the trunk instead of outside ... yea I know .. why the outside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif). Anyways, my job gave me an Amazon gift certificate that was just enough to buy a new ATL 12 gal fuel cell, so now there's enough room for the cooler and the cell. Hope 12 gals is enough for 30-40 minute runs!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Oct 25 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #16

The 914 GT stiffening kit has been welded in.
Attached Image
Attached Image

The rear shocks will be replaced with these Konis and the Rebel Racing adjustable perches accompanied by 225 lb Eibach springs.
Attached Image

The newly rebuilt SC front calipers are being replaced with 951 front calipers. These may cause an issue initially for the vintage racing group I would like to eventually run with, but another teener has been allowed to run with them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) .
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Oct 25 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Getting ready for the engine install. The Patrick engine mount has been welded in.
Attached Image

Also, rear pickup point reinforcing kit from Chris at Tangerine Racing was installed along with the Heim rods.
Attached Image
Attached Image

One more of the cage .....
Attached Image

That's it for now. Earlier I may have stated that I had found some 7 and 8 inch cookie cutters for the track wheels ... that should have read 7 and 8 inch phone dials. The replica Fuchs are just to move the car around, phones are for the track right now. I have mounted Dunlop Star Z1s on the rims. We'll see how that works out. That's all for now, but more to come.

+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Oct 25 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,598

Pretty sure I remember seeing that puppy up at Gennady's this summer when pickle got her 4 wheel alignment.
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Oct 25 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 25 2010, 04:12 AM) *

Pretty sure I remember seeing that puppy up at Gennady's this summer when pickle got her 4 wheel alignment.

Yea, it's been up there for awhile. Hope to have it completed by December. It'll look pretty rough until I get the bumpers on and have the paint a little "refreshened" from all the work being done to it.

In it's previous life, it was definitely hit in the rear passenger side corner and very mildly in the front, below the hood. The bumpers will cover those areas up. Other than that only very minor rust issues. It will be a dedicated track car and definitely not a garage queen.
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Oct 25 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,348

Nice looking project. I am doing a narrow body conversion with a 2.2 rebuilt motor with e spec cams, larger ports, 3.0 liter oil pump etc etc. Keep the faith...that is going to be one damn nice car when you're done!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:05 AM