Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Six Conversion - School Bus Yellow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MikeSpraggi
So I find this '70 914 on Craigslist for $700. Says it's only a shell. Has flares and 5 bolt 911 pattern on all 4 wheels. I call, make an appointment for 2 days later. Car looks like it has good bones. I asked "what happened to the engine and trans?" The guy says, "Oh, it runs". So I buy it. It's going to be my DE/track car. That was THREE years ago. So to get the original six off the track, I started to "put" the project together.

I had been collecting parts for a six conversion for about 10 years or so. I have just about everything I need, but, this is a LOT of work and a LOT of $$$ if you add it all up. Wife keeps asking, when is it going to be finished ............. lol-2.gif

Here are some pics.

As seen on Craigslist in Philly in Feb of 2006. FG bumpers did not come with the car, but a 1.7L engine did.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

2 years later after I bought the FG hood and trunk and replica Fuchs
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
I haven't done anything like this, but have been reading the 914 Forums for quite some time.

Starting down the road .....
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This was some of the worst rust .. front trunk rubber seal area
Click to view attachment

Rear trunk stripped and primed .....
Click to view attachment

Fitting the can for the fuel cell
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Setting up fitment for the air dam I bought more than 10 years ago for my 1st 914. Need to fabricate the mounting brackets.
Click to view attachment

Purschased Koni yellows all the way around along with 16X7 front and 16X8 Phone dials ..
Click to view attachment

A little more progress on the interior ...
Click to view attachment

Had to frabricate brackets for the Mazda RX-7 front mounted oil cooler ....
Click to view attachment

Pattern for the air dam mounting brackets .. probably will make the real ones next week.
Click to view attachment

Checking fitment of air dam and oil cooler ... need to cut out the brake cooling ducts. Spent a LOT of time redoing the air dam. Not perfect, but hey, it's a track car!
Click to view attachment
brant
have you considered opening up the fuel firewall and moving the cell rearward?....

its really much better for weight distribution with no loss of rigidity.
(not as sealed of a trunk floor though... but its not going to be a DD is it?)

MikeSpraggi
Picked up side shifter in N.J. about 2 months ago. Need to have Dr. Evil go over it.
Power is a (ahem) 2.2L six .... maybe a little north of stock shades.gif .

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

As I said, I have never done anything like this or close to this. I knew these projects were "big" in scope and $$$$. I also knew it's good when you can purchase someone else's unfinished or unwanted project. But no, I had to experieince the whole thing myself!! headbang.gif

............ Still no regrets. Want to get it on the track sometime this summer. Couldn't do it without this forum. THANKS!!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(brant @ May 20 2009, 11:30 PM) *

have you considered opening up the fuel firewall and moving the cell rearward?....

its really much better for weight distribution with no loss of rigidity.
(not as sealed of a trunk floor though... but its not going to be a DD is it?)

I did consider that, however a 16 qt Peterson oil tank will be located where the stock gas tank is currently sitting. I've seen a number of cars configured as you mentioned, makes a lot of sense.
JRust
Nicely done man! Good progress & looks to be a great start to your future track days aktion035.gif
FourBlades

That is a great project and a nice looking engine. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Keep posting the pictures, you can never have too many resto and build pictures.

That will be a fantastic track car when you are done.

John
ahdoman
Before it's too late... I've been told (by guys who know this stuff) that you want a 1:2 venting ratio on the oil cooler. You're setup with putting the cooler in front of the vent holes in the chassis may severly limit it's cooling abilities not to mention you run a good chance of damaging it on any unwanted off track excursions. Most guys put it on the trunk side of those holes. There's a guy on Ebay selling the original GT type glass vents as well to make the job a little easier.
type47
Nice! Good to finally see some of your project even though we're close in location. I'd like to talk to you about your body prepping, ie, the primer, primer application method, etc. I have a project that needs removal of old primer and re-primer application.
MikeSpraggi
Been doing body work and other odd and ends to prep the my track car for paint, suspension and engine installation. Just got the car back from the paint shop today. This is a budget job, but I'm really happy with it (for a track car. I bought the paint, did much of the body work and took it all to Maaco and had them shoot the car; exterior, interior and trunks! They did a decent job with what they had to work with.

Hauled the car up to GT Performance in Edgewood, Md. for the suspension and engine install. I can't believe this is really happening. It's been a dream for more than 20 years but life always came first (wife, kids, house, school. etc.). I still have all of the aforementioned thankfully beerchug.gif . Anyways, more $$$ to complete. Smart people who want to track a car will buy someone else's project, I knew that ... I'm just not smart lol-2.gif .

On its' way to the paint shop.
Click to view attachment

After paint shop and at GT Performance.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif Nice progress... I dig orange race cars! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
veltror
Exactly what colour has it been painted?
carr914
If it is a Track Car, get rid of those Replica Fuchs & buy some real wheels.

T.C.

Sorry, I saw that you bought some Cookie Cutters, but I thought that Cookies were only available in 6" & 7"s, not 8"s
MikeSpraggi
I thought this project was going to be ready by the end of this past summer. Guess again! Sure, I was a little optimistic and really wanting to get the green /6 off of the track 'cause it's really taking a beating. Last track event at VIR I snapped the passenger side U-tab for the anti-sway bar drop link. Fortunately, got it welded back on at the track by a Grand-Am team whose shop is located at the track. Anyways, a couple of more pics of the track car progress.

Here's the car on the lift at GT Performance. The 911 struts and anti-sway bar have been installed.
Click to view attachment

Here is the Autopower weld-in roll cage installed. The windshield has since been removed.
Click to view attachment

Gas tank cavity clear out for anti-sway bar installation and soon to be installed Peterson 16 quart oil tank.
Click to view attachment

I have since decided on moving the Mazda RX-7 oil cooler inside the trunk instead of outside ... yea I know .. why the outside confused24.gif. Anyways, my job gave me an Amazon gift certificate that was just enough to buy a new ATL 12 gal fuel cell, so now there's enough room for the cooler and the cell. Hope 12 gals is enough for 30-40 minute runs!
Click to view attachment

MikeSpraggi
The 914 GT stiffening kit has been welded in.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The rear shocks will be replaced with these Konis and the Rebel Racing adjustable perches accompanied by 225 lb Eibach springs.
Click to view attachment

The newly rebuilt SC front calipers are being replaced with 951 front calipers. These may cause an issue initially for the vintage racing group I would like to eventually run with, but another teener has been allowed to run with them sunglasses.gif .
Click to view attachment

MikeSpraggi
Getting ready for the engine install. The Patrick engine mount has been welded in.
Click to view attachment

Also, rear pickup point reinforcing kit from Chris at Tangerine Racing was installed along with the Heim rods.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

One more of the cage .....
Click to view attachment

That's it for now. Earlier I may have stated that I had found some 7 and 8 inch cookie cutters for the track wheels ... that should have read 7 and 8 inch phone dials. The replica Fuchs are just to move the car around, phones are for the track right now. I have mounted Dunlop Star Z1s on the rims. We'll see how that works out. That's all for now, but more to come.

kenshapiro2002
Pretty sure I remember seeing that puppy up at Gennady's this summer when pickle got her 4 wheel alignment.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 25 2010, 04:12 AM) *

Pretty sure I remember seeing that puppy up at Gennady's this summer when pickle got her 4 wheel alignment.

Yea, it's been up there for awhile. Hope to have it completed by December. It'll look pretty rough until I get the bumpers on and have the paint a little "refreshened" from all the work being done to it.

In it's previous life, it was definitely hit in the rear passenger side corner and very mildly in the front, below the hood. The bumpers will cover those areas up. Other than that only very minor rust issues. It will be a dedicated track car and definitely not a garage queen.
bcheney
Nice looking project. I am doing a narrow body conversion with a 2.2 rebuilt motor with e spec cams, larger ports, 3.0 liter oil pump etc etc. Keep the faith...that is going to be one damn nice car when you're done!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 25 2010, 11:36 AM) *

Nice looking project. I am doing a narrow body conversion with a 2.2 rebuilt motor with e spec cams, larger ports, 3.0 liter oil pump etc etc. Keep the faith...that is going to be one damn nice car when you're done!

I was following your thread as well and have vowed not to give a completion date again. I've been trying to get this completed, literally for years. Stuff just happens to divert our best intentions and laid out plans. The point is just to keep on moving forward with these projects, even if it's only in the mind. I have "driven" my project many, many mental miles on various tracks. For me, it's what keeps me going and reading other threads like yours to know there really is hope. Keep up the good work. I will post this in your thread as well.
MikeSpraggi
Here's an update on my yellow project track car.

Front brakes are installed
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
The 911 emergency parking brake has been installed and now ready for the 911 SC rear calipers.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Delivered the 914/6 oil tank to the shop today. The axles are in and once the oil tank is in, we'll be ready to install the engine. Oh yeah, will freshen up the engine compartment a little smile.gif.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

ChrisFoley
Looks good Mike!
One suggestion I have though, is to ditch the bolt-in front sway bar reinforcements. Get weld-in ones and do it right, or eventually the inner fender will crack around the mounts.
Also, if its a track car, why does it have a parking brake? That's added unsprung weight you don't need on the rear suspension.
type47
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 5 2011, 10:16 PM) *

The 911 emergency parking brake has been installed and now ready for the 911 SC rear calipers.
Click to view attachment
Delivered the 914/6 oil tank to the shop today.

piratenanner.gif Nice and NICE! Both things I need; emergency brakes (I have 911 rear brakes in the stash) and oil tank (group buy should be in shipment). Now I need an engine mounting system, do you believe I'd like a quick 6 mount? I always like the idea. Maybe Rod could reinforce weld it for me. I've signed up for Jun5 Shenandoah and Halloween Summit Point DE's. Hope to see the new car and other 914's this summer; if the "Yellow Bird" is not ready, "Greenie" would like more track time. Where's Carl, Josh, ... ?
saigon71
Good looking conversion Mike! How many HP will that 2.2 engine will be putting out? The question is...will it be at Hershey in April? My car has a bad case of "next year disease," but I will be there.

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 6 2011, 03:06 AM) *

Looks good Mike!
One suggestion I have though, is to ditch the bolt-in front sway bar reinforcements. Get weld-in ones and do it right, or eventually the inner fender will crack around the mounts.
Also, if its a track car, why does it have a parking brake? That's added unsprung weight you don't need on the rear suspension.

Chris, this is straight from the Vintage Racer Group (VRG) rules: "3.2.8.1. Dual braking systems are required. This may be accomplished with dual master cylinders, a tandem master cylinder, or a single master cylinder plus mechanical emergency brake." Car is sort of stock and when I ditched the original rear calipers and went with the 911 SC rears, the 911 mechanical e-brake was substituted for the original. I would like to install one of the other two options for next season, but don't really have a clue about which way to go. Most installations on 914s I've seen have been fairly custom jobs. I need to get educated before making that decision. Thanks for the tip on the weld-in anti-sway bar reinforcements.
type47
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 6 2011, 08:24 AM) *

......, a tandem master cylinder, ...

Is the dual circuit MC on a 914 a "tandem MC"?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Mar 6 2011, 06:51 AM) *

Good looking conversion Mike! How many HP will that 2.2 engine will be putting out? The question is...will it be at Hershey in April? My car has a bad case of "next year disease," but I will be there.

Don't know hp for the 2.2, just know it should be north of stock. Green car will be coming to Hershey. In all the years I've gone/wanted to go to Hershey, I was NEVER able to drive any of my 914s. This could be the first year piratenanner.gif.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 6 2011, 10:51 AM) *

Not sure if it is or not, but there is a thread that talks about this regarding the stock master brake cylinder and the likelyhood of brake failure if only one brake line is compromised. I think that is the spirit of the rule ... that if you lose one circuit, the other is still operational.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 6 2011, 12:51 PM) *

Yes it is.
The VRG rule refers to some older car braking systems which used a common master for all 4 corners.
MikeSpraggi
Here's the latest update on my DE/Track car that was supposed to be finished by now for this track season (in the Mid-Atlantic, we actually have a "track season").
Do these projects always take so long?? I'm even paying a shop to do the work I don't have time to do or lack the skill to do. What an eye opener (as if I didn't know what I was getting into), but this is the path I chose, no regrets really. I'll have pretty much exactly the car I wanted when it's said and done. Did I hear someone say .... "buy somebody else's project"? idea.gif

Oil tank has been installed.
Click to view attachment

Car off of the lift and on it's new suspension
Click to view attachment

Engine is almost complete
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Rebuilt Zeniths with larger venturis and rejetted
Click to view attachment
type47
Do you still need a -6 engine oil cooler? Looks like a 911 engine oil cooler in the pic.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(type47 @ May 15 2011, 08:12 AM) *

Do you still need a -6 engine oil cooler? Looks like a 911 engine oil cooler in the pic.

Jim, it needs to come off to be modified. Why, do you have a /6 cooler for sale? smile.gif
echocanyons
I would consider ditching the engine mounted cooler altogether and replacing the spot with an oil filter console ala 3.6l or just a delete plate, smart racing has them both.

Nice work Mike I dig the schoolbus yellow
mepstein
QUOTE(echocanyons @ May 15 2011, 02:25 PM) *

I would consider ditching the engine mounted cooler altogether and replacing the spot with an oil filter console ala 3.6l or just a delete plate, smart racing has them both.

Nice work Mike I dig the schoolbus yellow

I looked into that. With all the correct parts it's $400+ to convert.
racerbvd
Rear bumper in on the way Mike.. Great looking project..
type47
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ May 15 2011, 09:07 AM) *

Mark, it needs to come off to be modified. Why, do you have a /6 cooler for sale? smile.gif

Mark? Who the f&%k is Mark? biggrin.gif No, I have a 911 cooler that also needs to be modified and was wondering who you are going to get to do yours. Jim.... happy11.gif
JmuRiz
Jim,
I'm sending mine to Rich Johnson when I get around to having mine modded.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(type47 @ May 23 2011, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ May 15 2011, 09:07 AM) *

Mark, it needs to come off to be modified. Why, do you have a /6 cooler for sale? smile.gif

Mark? Who the f&%k is Mark? biggrin.gif No, I have a 911 cooler that also needs to be modified and was wondering who you are going to get to do yours. Jim.... happy11.gif

Guess I had one too many ...... blink.gif ........... JIM.
MikeSpraggi
Another update.
A little more progress on the engine. GT Performance will be modifying the 911 engine mounted oil cooler next week. Got the alternator installed and test fitted the manifolds. I can really see this happening now, at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rolled the car out into the sunlight. It's really dirty and needs to be cleaned up. I'll get to that after it's running. Just wanted to see how it looks with the 7 and 8 inch 16" phone dials. Tires are Dunlop Star Z1s, 205/55/16 up front and 225/50/16 in the rear. Looks like I will need some thin spacers to fill out the wells correctly. The phone dials are early offset as during my research seemed to have the best fit. Maybe I should have looked at the late offset for a flared car.

The car had been hit in the rear, more so on the passenger side corner. The tail light needs to be fitted a little better and the standard fiberglass rear bumber I just got from racerbvd will hide the non-perfections below the lights. I have a "PORSCHE" reflector that will go in between the tailights. A little tacky maybe, but the PO two owners ago, drilled the holes for one and I'm not concerned about filling them in and trying to have a perfect body at this time. Right now I just want to get it on the track to begin sorting things out. More to come.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I really need to have this ready by late June (for the Glen). I'll be taking the green car to Summit Point next weekend and then the Glen if the yellow car is not ready headbang.gif . Now I'm putting $$$ into the yellow car as well as the green car to maintain it for track duty. This is insanity wacko.gif.
racerbvd
Looking good, you chose correct on the offset for the Dials, the late offset is much more negative, meaning they would be more inboard, leaving more space. I also have this set of 7&8s.
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Finally after years and years of collecting parts, doing what work I could and trying to swing finances, I was able to "see" the engine in the car. Still lots more work to get it running in the car but hey, this really gave me hope that this can happen. No clearance issues with the Heim rod braces (thanks Chris!) Engine mounted oil cooler is being modified for a /6 application and the rebuilt, modified Zeniths need the final touches applied. This car may make out on the track this season.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Just some other shots of the school bus conversion.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
patssle
Looking good. Doing a 3.0L conversion myself at the moment. Nothing but fun!
MikeSpraggi
Here is an update to my track car project. Needs to be ready by March 30 for the first Potomac PCA DE of the season.

Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
Click to view attachment

Engine access cover.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Fuel cell and oil cooler shroud.
Click to view attachment

MikeSpraggi
The engine is ready for installation.

High torque starter visable.
Click to view attachment

MSD High Vibration Blaster coil seen here.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

911 oil cooler modification for the 914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

That's all for now. Should try to get it started in the next two weeks. WooHoo!
RiqueMar
I might have missed it but.... No chain tensioners? blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jan 14 2012, 05:31 PM) *

That anti-sway bar mount reinforcement doesn't look welded Mike.
Sooner or later you will find lots of cracks around the bolt holes if you don't weld those brackets securely to the inner wheel well.

Also, IMO your fuel cell vent should be routed someplace outside the front compartment.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 14 2012, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jan 14 2012, 05:31 PM) *

That anti-sway bar mount reinforcement doesn't look welded Mike.
Sooner or later you will find lots of cracks around the bolt holes if you don't weld those brackets securely to the inner wheel well.

Also, IMO your fuel cell vent should be routed someplace outside the front compartment.

Chris, my visit to the shop today resulted in an action to address exactly what you have mentioned about reinforcing that area of the anti-sway bar. In fact, I do have a kit that will be welded in place. Also, thanks for the note on the fuel cell vent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.