Pages: 1, 2
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 14 2012, 04:03 PM) *

I might have missed it but.... No chain tensioners? blink.gif

Stromski chain tensioners ....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Looking good, I'll probably pick you brain when I start putting my accumulated parts on.
patrick3000
Mike,

You have mabe great progress with your toy, just look at the early pictures. Can't wait to see her on the track.......in my rear view mirror wink.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Jan 14 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Mike,

You have mabe great progress with your toy, just look at the early pictures. Can't wait to see her on the track.......in my rear view mirror wink.gif

Yeah .... you're always upping the ante ..... headbang.gif
Socalandy
Your so close to the finish line. Great conversion!!! aktion035.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jan 14 2012, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 14 2012, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jan 14 2012, 05:31 PM) *

That anti-sway bar mount reinforcement doesn't look welded Mike.
Sooner or later you will find lots of cracks around the bolt holes if you don't weld those brackets securely to the inner wheel well.

Also, IMO your fuel cell vent should be routed someplace outside the front compartment.

Chris, my visit to the shop today resulted in an action to address exactly what you have mentioned about reinforcing that area of the anti-sway bar. In fact, I do have a kit that will be welded in place. Also, thanks for the note on the fuel cell vent.

I have the same bolted in sway bar mounts and had just planned to have them welded in place...do they need to be replaced with another type or can they be welded in without issue to prevent the cracking Chris mentions?? Glad to see your progress...mine is coming along as well!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jan 15 2012, 10:43 AM) *

I have the same bolted in sway bar mounts and had just planned to have them welded in place...do they need to be replaced with another type or can they be welded in without issue to prevent the cracking Chris mentions?? Glad to see your progress...mine is coming along as well!

Those will work ok, but the plating has to be removed in the weld zone.
OTOH, the reason I developed our own reinforcing plates is because I don't like the plain triangular shape or the excessive metal thickness of other products.
Ours have the same tri-oval shape of the stamping on the inner wheel well, and are only 2x the thickness of the vehicle's sheetmetal.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 15 2012, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(bcheney @ Jan 15 2012, 10:43 AM) *

Those will work ok, but the plating has to be removed in the weld zone.
OTOH, the reason I developed our own reinforcing plates is because I don't like the plain triangular shape or the excessive metal thickness of other products.
Ours have the same tri-oval shape of the stamping on the inner wheel well, and are only 2x the thickness of the vehicle's sheetmetal.

OK, just ordered a pair.
MikeSpraggi
Some work has been done on the shift linkage. This will have the same setup as my 914/6 which was converted from tail shifter to side shifter. It shifts very nicely, and was done by GT Performace.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Weltmeister short shift will be replaced by a Rennshifter. Looks like even though I have converted to a sideshifter, I will need to use the early type shift mechanism as it appears the shift connection to the front shift rod is different between '70-'72 and '73-'76 models. I am using an early front shift rod.

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Accelerator assembly is ready for the engine installation. Of all things, a 993 part was used to make this work.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
My car is still on the lift at GT Performance. Hope to have the engine installed and running this week. Pictured below my car is my neighbor's car. We plan to have some fun in PCA DE any maybe some other events.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
This should be the final engine install before startup. Still need to complete the wiring, change the cutoff switch to a 6 pole and relocate the MSD box. All in all, I'm getting pretty excited. DE/Track season starts in March for me. Really need to make it this time.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Here is another view of the engine installed and the rear trunk.

Click to view attachment

The oil feed and return lines run through the cabin on the passenger side. If there are any of you that run a track car with "inside" plumbing, how is the heat experience once warmed up on a hot day? Haven't done it so I'm just asking.
Click to view attachment

Pre plumbing photo of the thermostat and the pressure regulator.
Click to view attachment

ChrisFoley
What size are those oil lines?

SCCA requires braided hoses whenever they run through the cockpit.
patrick3000
Mike,

That looks great, you are getting close.
MikeSpraggi
The mufflers have been installed. I was really looking for some chrome mufflers of this or similar style but couldn't find any. I'm sure now that I have these on the car I'll probably run across some. These are Cherry Bombs and I'm not crazy about the color. When I ordered I could have sworn that I asked for "not painted". Need to trim up the rear bumper some and finish the appointments on the rear exterior ... PO must've had one of those PORSCHE reflectors b/c holes are drilled for one. Just so happens I have one, so it's going on. The bumper and PORSCHE reflector will cover up some of the imperfections from previous rear end body damage.

Also, need to do something for exhaust tips on the mufflers. Hope this setup isn't too loud.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
So I added a Stable Energies rear camber truss ..... I understand some say it does nothing good. At one time, I heard it was one of those enhancements some just had to have. I'll see what it can do for me. An easy install .... an easy delete.

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
Fuel and oil plumbing is just about finished. Still need to add the oil filter console to the oil tank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
I had originally purchased a 2 pole cutoff switch. Came to my senses and removed it and had a 6-pole installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
Dude that is going to be So Loud, Sounds awesome But.....I just did a mod to mine and made it streetable.
my tailpipes are reduced to 2-1/4 I think I am going to get 2-1/2.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1618429
MikeSpraggi
Ok, here's the latest update to this project. First DE event of the year for me is March 31, so this is really cutting it close! Don't know if I'll make it sad.gif .

I've stated to fabricate a GT "style" engine lid. Have plenty of lids laying around so here goes. Should be done, no, NEEDS to be done by the end of the week. This is not an attempt at a high quality, GT reproduction, but rather a modest attempt to provide extra cooling to the engine bay.

Removed the mesh from a donor lid. Flattened it out, removed the little mounting studs and grinded the area down to smooth. Then took an orbital sander an went over both sides until baby butt smoot. This photo is before I did the smoothing and sanding.
Click to view attachment

I used the mesh to outline the area I needed to cut out. The taped area is slightly smaller than the outline of the mesh so I can have some sheet metal on the lid to fasten the mesh to.
Click to view attachment

Drilled out the spot welds for the bracing and removed.
Click to view attachment

Fired up the air compressor, got the grinder out and preceded to cut the areas out right above the vertical braces that are left being careful not to grind into them. Then took out the hand jigsaw and using the starter cuts I made on either side of the vertical braces, cut along the tape outline. Then evened out and smoothed the cuts. Oh yea, addressed the rust. Where don't these cars rust!! confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Did a test fit with the donor mesh.
Click to view attachment

After sanding down the lid frame and, did I say removing rust, painted with primer. Should be able to have this finished by the weekend when it needs to go to the car.
Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
The IMSA front end has been mounted. I know this is not everyone's cup 'o tea, but for now, I like this. Something I've always wanted. Besides, it's easy enough to go with the original "GT" look later on if I want to. This is the front end I found on ebay for $103. Had to fix a crack, sand and paint. Yes, the front wheels will be getting modest spacers.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MikeSpraggi
We have begun the installation of the GT headlight kit. The shocks look like they will need to be raised higher on the inside fender well. All of the others I've seen are. Need to ask though what the thinking was on mounting them at that angle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also started the install of the seats. Thanks to Chris Foley for the kit to install the passenger seat in an early car. Oil line should be braided lines by next weekend.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
type47
smilie_pokal.gif Keep the green car filled with gas just in case..... sunglasses.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 12 2012, 03:15 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Keep the green car filled with gas just in case..... sunglasses.gif

Jim, the green car should not see another track day under my ownership. It's given me 3 good seasons and allowed my to, ahem, shake it down and replace parts that, uhh, how should I say it ....... failed lol-2.gif. It's actually in pretty good mechanical shape after those 3 seasons.
Cracker
Great job and keep the faith regardless of whether you make the DE on the 31st! I just busted my engine on the dyno 3 days prior to my first DE this year...sucked but that goes with tracking/racing. Looks like your project is well thought out - enjoy every aspect of it.

BTW, as you have commented many times, it does financially make sense to purchase a completed car. I'm dumb too in that regard but would change NOTHING - my car is built for me, by me! Be careful too sorting your car out!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 12 2012, 06:59 AM) *

BTW, as you have commented many times, it does financially make sense to purchase a completed car. I'm dumb too in that regard but would change NOTHING - my car is built for me, by me! Be careful too sorting your car out!

Yea, I knew building a car from the ground up was the expensive and painful route to go, but I wanted to do just that for the personal learning experience. And yes, it is built just the way I wanted it built. No regrets. I did pass up a few projects that did make me rethink my strategy, but I persevered with the insanity.
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 12 2012, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 12 2012, 06:59 AM) *

Yea, I knew building a car from the ground up was the expensive and painful route to go, but I wanted to do just that for the personal learning experience. And yes, it is built just the way I wanted it built. No regrets. I did pass up a few projects that did make me rethink my strategy, but I persevered with the insanity.

Wow nice car!! I am curently doing a 914/6 conversion with phone dials also -but I'm not doing the unique 916 grill -but I would like to.
My question is as I get the parts for my mechanic, I have the engine mount kit that gets welded to the bulkhead but do I need motor mounts for rear as well ??The engine is a 911sc 3.0 please let me know if I need tihis other part(s)my mech is busy and he is fluent in all 911types , all front engine water cooled stuff but not a 914/6 conversion this is his first one -I did check the kist of needed parts at pelican-Phil
Cracker
Phil - there are no rear engine mounts...the "rear" mount would be considerd the trans mount.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 13 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Phil - there are no rear engine mounts...the "rear" mount would be considerd the trans mount.

Phil, ..... what he said. piratenanner.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 13 2012, 06:01 PM) *

Wow nice car!! I am curently doing a 914/6 conversion with phone dials also -but I'm not doing the unique 916 grill -but I would like to. -Phil

Phil, it's actually what is called an IMSA style front end (grill).
MikeSpraggi
This week's installment of my project track car as I get it ready for this seasons' events. First one is in only 2 weeks!!

I was able to finish my GT lid interpretation and take it to the shop today so it can be mounted this week.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also got to hear the car run for the first time today. Here's the link. If you have a good speaker system you should be able to hear it just as I did today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsCc8YlDQzk

The GT headlight kit works really nicely. Only need to pull knob in the cockpit installed. GT Performance did a really good job getting this installed without a set of official instructions. I passed along a couple of the links on this site depicting how others had done the installation.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rear end is almost finished. Need to fix the nick on the right side of the rear deck spoiler. The rear ride height is still high and wheels, both front and back need to be spaced out.
Click to view attachment

Took care of the oil lines going through the cockpit with steel braid. The hoses are Aeroquip.
Click to view attachment

MikeSpraggi
Latest update on my conversion project track/DE car. Picked it up from GT Performance today piratenanner.gif . Hope she runs. Going to Summit Point in the morning for a PCA Potomac DE event. I haven't really driven the car yet so I going to take it real easy until I get to know it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
type47
driving.gif Keep the shiney side up and shiney!
patrick3000
That is one nice looking car smile.gif
patrick3000
WTF.gif double post
cambum4
looks good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.