Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru WRX 23 914 Progress Thread in AZ (252 HP at the wheels!)), The results are in! 252 HP and 262 torque!! (read last pag
budman5201
post May 21 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,635

Here is my Subaru Turbo exhaust. I think I finally got TIG welding down pat. Have to be comfortable when welding.....About another month or so and this baby is running....19 LBS boost!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 21 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 21 2009, 06:51 PM) *

Here is my Subaru Turbo exhaust. I think I finally got TIG welding down pat. Have to be comfortable when welding.....About another month or so and this baby is running....

SO guys, I have a renegade subaru engine cradle and I promised that i wouldnt show it, but how do I show my work off on this site without doing that? Basically its their engine mount and everthing else is mine.....Its right around all my work!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Here is my Heat Exchanger for my Air/water intercooler. I used a standard air/air intercooler (about half the price for a huge one) and i am chopping the sides welding them up, putting 1/2 flared fitting on each side, then i will have a 26x6x2.5 aluminum heat exchanger right out front....Front not near done yet

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
raw1298
post May 21 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

You could photo shop it out or paint it camo so we can't see it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 22 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Or we could just not look. :wink:
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 22 2009, 08:45 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

You know what? that is so stupid, how many ways can you bend tubing, hold a suby motor and make it bolt in. Besides I really think most suby transplants from here on out will be using suby trannys for their reliability and better gearing. Try buying a lsd for 400.00 for a 901. You can get high strength shafts, dog box or syncros or a mixture. Even in stock configuration, if it were to equal the best built 901 it still would be a way newer design with a good aftermarket support. Now if subaru would only make a sequential tranny.

A air to air ic has a different internal core to flow air as unrestricted as possible (bigger tubes) where a water radiator needs to slow the water down to transfer the heat sufficently before it goes to the heat exchanger. I also think you will have too much airflow restriction in front of your radiator.

Your tigging is looking good but you might want to add a extra piece of tubing to the flange to let the wastegate flow better.

It looks like you lowered your turbo a lot, will it drain to the pan ok?
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Creative Photo taking. Nope TURBO still way up high, check out the photo of the turbo drain still way above like stock....

The air/air intercooler will have 1/2 inch lines so water will slow way down in the cooler itself since it was designed to be 2 inch air flowing through it......

As for position i debated putting it right just below the lower hortizontal sheet metal and cutting my LOW valance to fit around it since its low anyways, that way the radiator would have unrestricted flow, and the heat exchanger flow would go underneath the car.....it would just look so much better cosmetically if i could hide in just before the radiator. I did enlarge my hole to max height and width. Basically its 32 inches across by 12 inches high....Thats huge!!

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #7

another

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #8

more

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Renegade Makes a superior Product....Love that i didnt have to fab that up. !!
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #10

okay heres some pics of the air coming in up front, obviously not finished in any way...but hole width /height is staying.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 24 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #11

another

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 24 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 21 2009, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(budman5201 @ May 21 2009, 06:51 PM) *

SO guys, I have a renegade subaru engine cradle and I promised that i wouldnt show it

Your kidding, right.

By the way, nice work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post May 25 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #13

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

No joke. Everybody who wants to look underneath a Rennegade car has to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so at car shows there are little lines that form, people doing the paperwork... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post May 25 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

That can't be true I found these online.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
orcadigital
post May 25 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,043

As i am not very well versed on Turbos, i have a question...

Putting the intercooler on the front of a mid engine car seems like you would have incredibly long pipe runs... and most intercooler pipes i have seen attempt to have less bends and run shorter distances... The 914 turbos i have seen seem to mount the intercooler either in the engine bay on top of the engine, or in the rear trunk with ducting pulling air down to it. Just curious...
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post May 25 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 25 2009, 12:01 AM) *

No joke. Everybody who wants to look underneath a Rennegade car has to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so at car shows there are little lines that form, people doing the paperwork... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Just wait until I get to the mechanical part of my build, I designed the damn thing so I have no problem plastering photos of it all over my build thread...
Your project is really coming together Budman, I have played around with the idea of an A/W intercooler and will be interested to see how yours turns out.
+Quote Post
budman5201
post May 25 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(orcadigital @ May 25 2009, 10:00 AM) *

As i am not very well versed on Turbos, i have a question...

Putting the intercooler on the front of a mid engine car seems like you would have incredibly long pipe runs... and most intercooler pipes i have seen attempt to have less bends and run shorter distances... The 914 turbos i have seen seem to mount the intercooler either in the engine bay on top of the engine, or in the rear trunk with ducting pulling air down to it. Just curious...

My intercooler run is going to be exactly 1 foot from the turbo into the Water/Air Intercooler and 1.5 back to the intake from the intercooler. The intercooler up front is and air/air that is going to be modified with 1/2 inch tubing in and out with a water pump pushing the water to/from the engine bay just like the renegade radiator, but i keep it serparate because the heat exchanger will be closer to ambient temperature unlike the engine which is 195 or 205 with the A/C on full blast. Basically its just a heat exchanger for the water/air intercooler in the engine bay. Water/air intercoolers have greater heat exchange properties than air/air ones, and especially with my gigantic heat exchanger up front. Ex. The new mustang has a heat exchanger 24x7 i think and its only an inch wide for its supercharger. Mine is 26x7x2.5 inches and aluminum also. SO plenty for this lower horsepower engine.

Give me another few weeks and i should have the water intercooler plumbing in.
+Quote Post
pavpav12
post May 25 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,680
Region Association: North East States

looking good
+Quote Post
strawman
post May 25 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Your project is really coming along. Great job!

I know what you mean about secrecy and Renegade. I visited his shop in Vegas a couple of months ago and was amazed at some of the projects in his shop, but he holds his cards pretty close to his vest. He is also pretty proud of his work and insistent that he has the optimal solution, basically poo-pooing some of my ideas. But I really enjoyed the tour.

Did you consider reversing your intake manifold? See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...83031&st=60 for details on what I'm doing for my Suby-powered 914...

Geoff
+Quote Post
charliew
post May 25 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

First time I've seen the rh engine mount but I had imagined a lot from other glimpses on other threads. It looks like the motor and tranny are tilted up and forward in the front to give the stock pan more ground clearance. If that is the case then the tranny is no longer level it seems. I have tried unlevel trannys in the past and it didn't work very well long term. Usually the front bearing gets too dry and if you don't lower the lube level it will usually leak in the rear. Course it's not a 901 so maybe there is no seals at the very rear to leak, just the speedo.

Bigkat you are soooo bad
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 01:57 AM