Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MUSR 10 Tenative Schedule of Events, Rough Draft
ClayPerrine
post May 23 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Noon Check in and registration.

5:00 PM Hospitality suite opens for the meet and greet.

7:00 pm Pizza dinner and Liar's contest.

Friday

9:14 am. Driver's meeting for morning tour.
9:30 am. Depart hotel for morning tour.
Noon Lunch - Site to be determined

2:00 Pm Arrive at Crater of Diamonds State park for diamond prospecting.

4:00 PM depart for Hotel.

6:00 PM Dinner.

7:30 PM Driver's meeting for Rally.

8:00 PM (Must be after dark) Start of Hare and Hound Rally.

10:00 PM Finish Hare and hound rally.

Saturday.

9:14 am. Driver's meeting for morning tour.
9:30 am. Depart hotel for morning tour.
Noon Lunch - Site to be determined (possibly Magazine Mountain).
2:00 PM Arrive at Hotel.
3:00 PM Car show.

5:00 PM Tech Quiz.
7:00 PM Awards Dinner.

Sunday - for those wishing to stay.

9:14 AM Blind Autocross in Parking lot.

11:00 Blind Autocross awards.

Noon: Homeward Bound.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 28 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Overall, looks like a good schedule. Based on the feedback from last year, we need to specify times that driver's should be gassing up their cars.

I know, I know... I thought that people were adults and should be able to fill in the blanks on their own - but apparently not. We need to hand-hold them.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 28 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #3

If the car show takes more than an hour, there is a problem. Seems a lot of slack-time. When is happy-hour or is that 7pm as well?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 28 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 28 2009, 09:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Huh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Overall, looks like a good schedule. Based on the feedback from last year, we need to specify times that driver's should be gassing up their cars.

I know, I know... I thought that people were adults and should be able to fill in the blanks on their own - but apparently not. We need to hand-hold them.

The Hare and Hound Rally is after dark, using Cynalumid Sticks.

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 28 2009, 09:35 PM) *

If the car show takes more than an hour, there is a problem. Seems a lot of slack-time. When is happy-hour or is that 7pm as well?

I didn't include a happy hour. I figure the tech quiz will be limited to 1 hour. I need the other hour to grade them.

+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 28 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #5

Sounds like fun, but I think you may lose a few with the night driving - especially our older members.

Concur, my old friend, on the tech quiz. That's consistently been a tough schedule point. Can we list the happy hour from 6-7? That way, ladies who don't want to do the tech quiz can spend time doing... whatever they do.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 29 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #6

I forgot to add a space for a tech session. I already have a car for the demo.

Kelvin is going to provide his car for the replacement of the driver's door. It will be about an hour.

Where can we fit it in the schedule??

+Quote Post
post May 29 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Hummmm!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,028
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 29 2009, 01:05 PM) *

Kelvin is going to provide his car for the replacement of the driver's door. It will be about an hour.

Did ya'll not work it into Thur Pizza dinner at RCR? Motor drop at Brett's.
Since only an hour this year maybe before/after dinner and not during dinner?
+Quote Post
Rusty
post May 29 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Thursday BBQ at RCR was a tech session.

Two problems surfaced from the After Action Review and the comment sheets:

1. People travel in on Thursday. They're tired and want to relax.
2. The motor-drop was too much to do in one tech session. People got bored, distracted, etc... especially the ladies.

One tech session that I always thought would be good is "Brake Caliper Rebuild". Break folks down into small groups of 4 or 5 - and hand everyone a brake caliper to tear apart while being led through the exercise with an instructor.
+Quote Post
post May 29 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Hummmm!!!

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 29 2009, 01:49 PM) *

2. The motor-drop was too much to do in one tech session. People got bored, distracted, etc... especially the ladies.

One tech session that I always thought would be good is "Brake Caliper Rebuild". Break folks down into small groups of 4 or 5 - and hand everyone a brake caliper to tear apart while being led through the exercise with an instructor.

I do agree a motor drop was way to much to do in 1 hour. And yes getting back out in the rain was a pain last year. Burgers were good tho!

But if it is a Kelvin's door as Clay mentioned it could easily be done at the hotel. No travel and a lot less time and/or energy spent for people to attend?

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 29 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(7275914911 @ May 29 2009, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 29 2009, 01:05 PM) *

Did ya'll not work it into Thur Pizza dinner at RCR? Motor drop at Brett's.
Since only an hour this year maybe before/after dinner and not during dinner?

The pizza dinner is an indoor function with drinking and getting to know one another. We are going to repeat the liar's contest from MUSR 8. Anyone who wants to gets up and tells a story. Then everyone votes on if they believe it or not. The person who fools the most people gets the MUSR liar's trophy for the event.

It is a fun way to spend an evening.....

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 29 2009, 01:49 PM) *

That would be good, but it requires a bit more than just showing up with a door and some hand tools. We can do the door replacement in the parking lot with no prep.

I am going to give it, so y'all just need to find me a hole in the schedule.

Back to packing for the Cruise.....
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post May 30 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #11

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

Clay....I know you're getting sunburned and making the rest of us jealous, but looking at the schedule Sat. for the drive, there will have to be an ajustment made if we go to Mt. Magazine. For one, from Hy. 5 & 7 it is 73 miles to Mt. Magazine. That should take about 1 1/2 hours from THERE. Leaving from the other two motels would add another 25 minutes or so to that. The Arlington is about 5-10 minutes from there and no stoplights.
This is what I'm thinking......I've been to Mt. Magazine several times, once with the PCA group. At lunch time they are very busy and it takes FOREVER for a group like our's to get served and eat. A good hour to an hour and a half. So, let's say it takes 1 1/4 hours to eat, that leaves little or no time to drive around the top and stop at lookouts, which I know we want to do and take pics. There's no way we could get back to HS by 2:00. Maybe the car show could start at 4 or maybe 5?
Five would be better so those who made the drive would have time to "clean up" their car for the show.....I really like the idea to go to Mt. Magazine. The new lodge and resturant there is really nice. Just my thoughts on the time schedule.....
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jun 1 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #12

There is a DE at Memphis on the 12-13th of Sept. I and some others would like to make that event. It would be nice for us if the MUSR was not on that date. I know the MUSR date doesn't revolve around us, but I would like to do both and not have to choose between the two......
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jun 1 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #13

I'm easy on the date, with two caveats:

1. The hotel selected needs to have the weekend free.
2. The event should be before the time change.

Other drags on attendance may be: too close to Halloween (for Ramblers with kids), too close to Thanksgiving (for those with limited vacation days).

But, based on hotel availability - we might not have a choice at all.
+Quote Post
post Jun 1 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #14

Hummmm!!!

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 1 2009, 09:34 AM) *

There is a DE at Memphis on the 12-13th of Sept. I and some others would like to make that event. It would be nice for us if the MUSR was not on that date. I know the MUSR date doesn't revolve around us, but I would like to do both and not have to choose between the two......

Tenative date is weekend after MMS DE. Sept 17-20.

We have two hotels(Arlington/Clarion) that are open that weekend and I am going to get some final proposals from them this week.

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP
+Quote Post
post Jun 1 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #15

Hummmm!!!

.............Sorry for double post.............

+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 2 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #16

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

A thought on the tech session, we could do a 914 transmission build in an hour under an awning... which I happen to have as well. That can happen anywhere (engine stand(s), a portable vise, a table and a few tools. There are several spare diffs too with bearings, spacers and shims to show diff and pinion depth setup.

I have a couple of 915's as well that could be displayed so folks can see the differences in the later generation boxes.

There if we want to.

~Ron
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 3 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 1 2009, 11:29 AM) *

We have two hotels(Arlington/Clarion) that are open that weekend and I am going to get some final proposals from them this week.

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP

How hard would it be to get the MUSR folks on track at the DE? We could have that as a driving event.

I am sure we could drop the Rally or a tech session for it.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *

A thought on the tech session, we could do a 914 transmission build in an hour under an awning... which I happen to have as well. That can happen anywhere (engine stand(s), a portable vise, a table and a few tools. There are several spare diffs too with bearings, spacers and shims to show diff and pinion depth setup.

I have a couple of 915's as well that could be displayed so folks can see the differences in the later generation boxes.

There if we want to.

~Ron

Ron,
Most of the MUSR participants would not really be into a transmission rebuild. Frankly, it would bore most of the participants. They want simple, beginner stuff.

BTW... did some snorkeling in Montego Bay today, and we are off to Grand Cayman to feed the stingrays tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jun 4 2009, 06:01 AM
Post #18

Clay, The DE in Memphis is a good 2 1/2 hours away and it usually is full. Everyone would need helments and such, the event would last ALL day and begin EARLY Sat. I think most if not all would enjoy a trip to Mt. Magazine or somewhere else. Driving to Memphis, doing a DE then driving back to HS would be a very hard day. I just don't think it would work......Have fun and pet a corvette for us....
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 5 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #19

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 3 2009, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 1 2009, 11:29 AM) *

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP

How hard would it be to get the MUSR folks on track at the DE? We could have that as a driving event.

I am sure we could drop the Rally or a tech session for it.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *

There if we want to.

~Ron

Ron,
Most of the MUSR participants would not really be into a transmission rebuild. Frankly, it would bore most of the participants. They want simple, beginner stuff.

BTW... did some snorkeling in Montego Bay today, and we are off to Grand Cayman to feed the stingrays tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Glad you're under water a lot these days Clay. About the tech session, I wasn't proposing the transmission session as a replacement for the door.

I think that's a good and useful session. Offered at the same time, this will simply present two levels of technical interest, not burden the schedule, and give those few that itch for a bit more depth something to scratch.

If as many as 3 to 5 folks were to want to see a transmission it offers value to the event and another view into our cars. As for some of the less technical crowd they might just be interested in a view of what happens inside their tranny's when they move that shift lever. The less magic the better.

The beauty is that it poses no more logistical challenges to us as planners than running one session. It only effects me in fact. I'm willing unless there is an overwhelming reason NOT to do it... might keep a few out of the bar for a while! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

~Ron
+Quote Post
post Jun 7 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #20

Hummmm!!!

On the Friday drive maybe a Poker Run thru the Scenic Loop and West Mountain Drive on to Crater Diamonds Park(where exactly is this at?). Lots of good photo ops. If I can pick a few back roads thru town we could pass by Oaklawn also. I can do that from Clarion down Harpers Ferry.

This is just thinking out loud since if we drive to Mt Mag. that needs to be a steady drive. Even if we only got as far as Ola at the 7 and 28 intersection. It looks like 28 is a road that needs to be driven as well as 298 across north side of Ouachita.

KP

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:16 PM