Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> starting to run right!, cable for heater flappers
Ian Stott
post May 24 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Was away for the weekend and first thing I did when I got home was call my cool mechanic buddy! My car is far from done but wow what a difference so far, the complete engine gasket set, those little prebent high pressure hoses just before the injectors and new injector seals, valves adjusted properly and fresh oil and filter. What a difference, much quieter, smoother acceleration and noticeably more powerful. All dash lights and gauges now working, clock doesn't work though but the light does, buzzer cause key is still in the ignition works which I didn't know it had one! New 100 LB Weltmeister springs installed and shifter linkage adjusted so it shifts quite well, I feel like I am really making progress with the car and though there is a ton of stuff still to do it is at a level where you don't mind showing it off, my daughter is graduating next month and wants it for prom so I guess that is a big compliment! Next we will bleed the brakes and tackle the heat issue, I remember reading here not that long ago you could use a cable from a mountain bike for the heater flappers, anyone know about this??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post May 24 2009, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

If it's stiff enough to push / pull the flapers , heater cables should not be that expensive to replace , how ever if the bike cable is long enough and stiff enough to operate reasonably well , I can't see any reason to not use them , if thats at hand and it works , go for it !!! Just remember the cables are no more than a stiff wire that is fed into the tubes that end real close to the flaper hookups and the lever pushes and pulls them according to what you want - heat or no heat. Try it .

Jaxdream
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post May 24 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I recently ordered the original part from porsche, it wasn't too expensive ~30 $ if I remember right.

If you make your own remember that they are not symmetrical.
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 25 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #4

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm pretty sure that AA sells those cables.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 25 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Actually, everybody can get them, since we all have to go to Porsche to order them (if we don't have them on the shelf).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 05:44 AM