Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> had it running...lost it, kiilled it again
Dr Evil
post Jun 15 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #21

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is why I am not in a hurry to come over. I know that there will be SOMETHING for me to fix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Soon. Very soon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #22

mechanical moron

Member No.: 5,202
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 15 2009, 08:34 PM) *

This is why I am not in a hurry to come over. I know that there will be SOMETHING for me to fix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Soon. Very soon.

doc it's a 914....there will always be something to fix soon. Very soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #23

mechanical moron

QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 16 2009, 04:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 15 2009, 08:34 PM) *

doc it's a 914....there will always be something to fix soon. Very soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

o.k removed the offending carb to check gaskets. one crack in the rear stack(not the offending one), am replacing, all else are new, heres the rub.. center nut on the manifold (connecting to the block) is stripped, will not tighten down or come off. could this be causing the leak?. is there a method to remove a stripped nut, tried clamping with a vice grip and pull and turn, don't seem to be working. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Jun 16 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

remove the stud and nut all together, and replace it with a new one...that will get the old stripped nut off and a new stud in. The stud itself isn't stripped, is it? If not, double nut the stud and unscrew the thing out of the head. Buy a new stud, and install with a new nut, don't overtighten the new stud, or you'll strip the hole in the head and thens theres more problems

Yes, not having all the nuts tightened down will cause air to be sucked underneath the manifold making the whistling sound, and makes for a very poor running engine
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #25

mechanical moron

[quote name='turnaround89' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:47 PM' post='1181443']
remove the stud and nut all together, and replace it with a new one...that will get the old stripped nut off and a new stud in. The stud itself isn't stripped, is it? If not, double nut the stud and unscrew the thing out of the head. Buy a new stud, and install with a new nut, don't overtighten the new stud, or you'll strip the hole in the head and thens theres more problems

Yes, not having all the nuts tightened down will cause air to be sucked underneath the manifold making the whistling sound, and makes for a very poor running engine

what a coincidence, i have a whistling, poor running engine too. is the stud a flaps item or am i in for $8.00 shipping for a .50c part?
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Jun 16 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #26

i went and bought all new studs at autozone...i had to replace mine because the dual carb manifolds are much thicker than a single carb manifold, in order to get the nut to thread on, i needed longer studs. I replaced all 8 at once, they may not have the exact length you need, but they will have the right thread, i think its like M8x1.25 or M8x1.5. Just pull one of the studs and take it to Napa, Flaps, autozone, etc and they'll get you the right size.

This may not totally solve your problem, but it will surely help...leaks make engines run like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #27

mechanical moron

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jun 16 2009, 03:31 PM) *

i went and bought all new studs at autozone...i had to replace mine because the dual carb manifolds are much thicker than a single carb manifold, in order to get the nut to thread on, i needed longer studs. I replaced all 8 at once, they may not have the exact length you need, but they will have the right thread, i think its like M8x1.25 or M8x1.5. Just pull one of the studs and take it to Napa, Flaps, autozone, etc and they'll get you the right size.

This may not totally solve your problem, but it will surely help...leaks make engines run like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

will have to tighten the nut back down to double nut it. hate to work on studs for fear of snapping one. pb blast it and hope for the best. you said you have 8 studs, mine has 6, what size is your engine ,mines a 2.0
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Jun 16 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #28

I have a 1.7L. I think the 1.7 and 1.8 have 8 studs and the 2.0 has 6, or its the 1.8L and 2.0 have 6 and the 1.7 has 8 studs, not totally sure...but, yea, be careful not to damage anything, its really annoying to try to fix one thing but break something else in the process, 1 problem becomes 2.
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #29

mechanical moron

, its really annoying to try to fix one thing but break something else in the process,
[/quote]

i think i'll have that put on my tombstone
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 16 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #30

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

2.0 have 6 all others have 8. Richie, you may want to look into getting anut splitter. They are not expensive and will remove the nut allowing you to use a stud extractor to pull the stud (another not too expensive tool).
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #31

mechanical moron

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 16 2009, 04:45 PM) *

2.0 have 6 all others have 8. Richie, you may want to look into getting anut splitter. They are not expensive and will remove the nut allowing you to use a stud extractor to pull the stud (another not too expensive tool).

damn, i had a nut splitter, her name was alice, she was my first wife. i will look for one .some cheap sports car, the money i spend on tools, i could have bought an aston martin
sears has one. has anyone tried this on a manfold nut. i am concerned that there isn't enough room to get the splitter on the nut.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 16 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #32

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

the nut is spinning?
Its just not coming off?
Is it the nut that is spinning or the stud?

If its the nut, gently get a flat head screw driver behind it and lever it out while you are turning it...it might catch a thread and start coming out.

Second...a dremel...cut a slot on the stud and try using a screw driver to pull out the stud.

Third...get a pair of vice grips in there and try to grab the stud and undo it.

Fourth...tack weld the nut onto the stud and use a socket to get on the nut and pull them out together.

Rich
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 16 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #33

mechanical moron

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2009, 06:45 PM) *

the nut is spinning?
Its just not coming off?
Is it the nut that is spinning or the stud?

If its the nut, gently get a flat head screw driver behind it and lever it out while you are turning it...it might catch a thread and start coming out.

Second...a dremel...cut a slot on the stud and try using a screw driver to pull out the stud.

Third...get a pair of vice grips in there and try to grab the stud and undo it.

Fourth...tack weld the nut onto the stud and use a socket to get on the nut and pull them out together.

Rich

hey rich long time how have you been. it's just the nut. i am gonna try the screw driver way, before i buy another tool. if that works i should be able to clamp down on the stud and screw it out if its no good.
tach weld! i am sure there is no one on this site that wants me welding
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 17 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #34

mechanical moron

i"m baaack. so. got the nut off, stud is toast but thankfully not stuck, will replace all 3 and reassemble. but first.. i didn't damage the gasket and plan on reusing , should i use gasket sealer or somethin'. also how deep should i set the new studs, they are short ( off a 2.0 engine i have), and is locktight o.k in the head and should i use lock washers on the outside. qustions questions questions
thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
i want to get this right the first time (for once)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #35

Custom Member

Depth.
I set them in the head deep enough so you see about 1/8 inch of thread outside of the nut once it is all together.

Gasket
I use a small amount of RTV Copper sealant on both sides of the phenolic spacer. Originally it comes with paper on both sides...if that paper is missing...RTV works. Assemble wet, let dry for at least an hour...use sparingly...not enough to get into the intake.

Washer
You should be using a wavy washer like the ones that came off of it...lol
The wavy washers are very thin and wavy/bent.

Rich
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 17 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #36

mechanical moron

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 17 2009, 03:26 PM) *

Depth.
I set them in the head deep enough so you see about 1/8 inch of thread outside of the nut once it is all together.

Gasket
I use a small amount of RTV Copper sealant on both sides of the phenolic spacer. Originally it comes with paper on both sides...if that paper is missing...RTV works. Assemble wet, let dry for at least an hour...use sparingly...not enough to get into the intake.

Washer
You should be using a wavy washer like the ones that came off of it...lol
The wavy washers are very thin and wavy/bent.

Rich

this man has the answers, i need to do something nice for him.... i know , when i die i,ll leave him my car
+Quote Post
scottb
post Jun 17 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #37

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32

rich (mr chef),

get that pig running and come up farther north and let all of us in the great nearly white north lay eyes........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

me, i got nuthin' to offer except some bbq that i will ask for a critique and a place to land in southwick! otherwise i volunteer racer chris's place for a gathering!!!!!

cheers,

scott

PS: my daughter keeps asking when we will get to see the nice chef in NYC again!
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 17 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #38

mechanical moron

QUOTE(scottb @ Jun 17 2009, 04:04 PM) *

rich (mr chef),

get that pig running and come up farther north and let all of us in the great nearly white north lay eyes........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

me, i got nuthin' to offer except some bbq that i will ask for a critique and a place to land in southwick! otherwise i volunteer racer chris's place for a gathering!!!!!

cheers,

scott

PS: my daughter keeps asking when we will get to see the nice chef in NYC again!

any offer of bbq is a good offer, bringing the pig up there would mean taking it off the jackstands wouldn't it. any one ever tried taking a 914 off it,s jackstands, where would it sit, i thought the tires were just for show. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 17 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #39

Custom Member

I told you....pick a weekend...provide me a couch to crash on, and a safe place to park...I will get it off the jack stands...
It will also purr like a kitten.

Only thing I want is to come down saturday and leave sunday so I can go out sat night....I love NYC on sat night.

Rich
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Jun 17 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #40

mechanical moron

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 17 2009, 07:34 PM) *

I told you....pick a weekend...provide me a couch to crash on, and a safe place to park...I will get it off the jack stands...
It will also purr like a kitten.

Only thing I want is to come down saturday and leave sunday so I can go out sat night....I love NYC on sat night.

Rich

i don,t want you to come down just to fix my car. i think it's gonna be fine by this weekend thanks to you. on the other hand leo imperial (remember him) wants to put his engine in and i am trying to get dr. evil to come up, so maybe we make a weekend out of it. go have some bbq aand beers in the city.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 02:23 PM