Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rust - Your thoughts VERY welcome, How much do you take out? Can I do it in pieces?
Cire
post Jun 20 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,155
Region Association: None

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Also, do you think this much rust here would weaken the frame at all? Interesting....

Thanks Team.

Eric

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
Dr Evil
post Jun 20 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You can buy the whole section or get a used one from a junker, or you can do it piecemeal. It all depends on your wants.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 20 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

easiest would probably be to cut out what's bat and replace it it doesn't have to be a stock piece either, imo.. but it might be easier to get what section and replace it, instead of trying to piecemeal it...

I pieced mine, but it was only a small section... the seat hinge.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jun 20 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

How is the passenger side? On the under side there is a reinforcement strip that also may need replacing. Both AA and restoration design have floor sections and the prices are pretty reasonable. This works better than using old metal.
+Quote Post
Cire
post Jun 20 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,155

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 20 2009, 10:41 AM) *

How is the passenger side? On the under side there is a reinforcement strip that also may need replacing. Both AA and restoration design have floor sections and the prices are pretty reasonable. This works better than using old metal.

The passenger side is perfect. The drivers side had a problem as it looks like the previous owner hit a rock or something that scrapped down the drivers side but looks like it tumbled right under the seat where the rust is and took out some of the under coating. Other than this section, its pretty rust free.

What size sheet of steel would you use? 16 gauge? 22 gauge? If possible would you keep it one sheet? Will Rustoleum paint, after its fixed, keep the rust under control?

Thanks everyone.

Eric
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 20 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think I used 20ga I got at Lowes... I hope rustoleum works, that's what I used... but I cut out all of the rust, welded in the new piece and then primers and painted with rustoleum... I plan to keep a watch on it, too
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 20 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Cire @ Jun 20 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Also, do you think this much rust here would weaken the frame at all? Interesting....

Thanks Team.

Eric

If that is the whole extent of it, I would buy a piece of a new floor pan with the ribbing in it (from AA of course) and section just that small area in. That way you preserve the originality of most of the pan and are not replacing areas that really do not need to be replaced. We have replaced many many pans so have these new bits and pieces (as the Australians say) available very inexpensively. By all means DO NOT SCAB METAL to repair this area!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 20 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 20 2009, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Cire @ Jun 20 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Thanks Team.

Eric

If that is the whole extent of it, I would buy a piece of a new floor pan with the ribbing in it (from AA of course) and section just that small area in. That way you preserve the originality of most of the pan and are not replacing areas that really do not need to be replaced. We have replaced many many pans so have these new bits and pieces (as the Australians say) available very inexpensively. By all means DO NOT SCAB METAL to repair this area!

I agree, be a man, but some pan.

Call George, he will sell you the rear piece you need.

Rich
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Jun 20 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #9

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

For that, I agree... either buy a new section and patch, or cut good metal from a donor. Don't use a flimsy piece of sheet metal to scab it... you don't want your ass dragging the pavement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 20 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Check the bottom of your crossmember too. They seem to collect dirt & moisture.
I cut mine out and the rust was worse underneath

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 20 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 20 2009, 12:00 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Rick_Eberle
post Jun 20 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,558

You can make patches, but if you do, use 1.6mm steel (16ga). It's harder to form, but it's as strong as the original, and butt weld it.

Here's how I did it.

BTW, I had to get an Engineer's Certificate to get my car registered, and the guy told me it was one of the best repairs he'd ever seen!

Mind you, if I had easy access to the ready made article, I probably would have gone that way.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:15 PM