Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust - Your thoughts VERY welcome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Also, do you think this much rust here would weaken the frame at all? Interesting....

Thanks Team.

Eric

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
You can buy the whole section or get a used one from a junker, or you can do it piecemeal. It all depends on your wants.
tat2dphreak
easiest would probably be to cut out what's bat and replace it it doesn't have to be a stock piece either, imo.. but it might be easier to get what section and replace it, instead of trying to piecemeal it...

I pieced mine, but it was only a small section... the seat hinge.
Bartlett 914
How is the passenger side? On the under side there is a reinforcement strip that also may need replacing. Both AA and restoration design have floor sections and the prices are pretty reasonable. This works better than using old metal.
Cire
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 20 2009, 10:41 AM) *

How is the passenger side? On the under side there is a reinforcement strip that also may need replacing. Both AA and restoration design have floor sections and the prices are pretty reasonable. This works better than using old metal.

The passenger side is perfect. The drivers side had a problem as it looks like the previous owner hit a rock or something that scrapped down the drivers side but looks like it tumbled right under the seat where the rust is and took out some of the under coating. Other than this section, its pretty rust free.

What size sheet of steel would you use? 16 gauge? 22 gauge? If possible would you keep it one sheet? Will Rustoleum paint, after its fixed, keep the rust under control?

Thanks everyone.

Eric
tat2dphreak
I think I used 20ga I got at Lowes... I hope rustoleum works, that's what I used... but I cut out all of the rust, welded in the new piece and then primers and painted with rustoleum... I plan to keep a watch on it, too
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cire @ Jun 20 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Also, do you think this much rust here would weaken the frame at all? Interesting....

Thanks Team.

Eric

Click to view attachment

If that is the whole extent of it, I would buy a piece of a new floor pan with the ribbing in it (from AA of course) and section just that small area in. That way you preserve the originality of most of the pan and are not replacing areas that really do not need to be replaced. We have replaced many many pans so have these new bits and pieces (as the Australians say) available very inexpensively. By all means DO NOT SCAB METAL to repair this area!
r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 20 2009, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Cire @ Jun 20 2009, 09:46 AM) *

Thanks Team.

Eric

Click to view attachment

If that is the whole extent of it, I would buy a piece of a new floor pan with the ribbing in it (from AA of course) and section just that small area in. That way you preserve the originality of most of the pan and are not replacing areas that really do not need to be replaced. We have replaced many many pans so have these new bits and pieces (as the Australians say) available very inexpensively. By all means DO NOT SCAB METAL to repair this area!

I agree, be a man, but some pan.

Call George, he will sell you the rear piece you need.

Rich
Todd Enlund
For that, I agree... either buy a new section and patch, or cut good metal from a donor. Don't use a flimsy piece of sheet metal to scab it... you don't want your ass dragging the pavement smile.gif
carr914
Check the bottom of your crossmember too. They seem to collect dirt & moisture.
I cut mine out and the rust was worse underneath

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 20 2009, 12:00 PM) *

agree.gif
Rick_Eberle
You can make patches, but if you do, use 1.6mm steel (16ga). It's harder to form, but it's as strong as the original, and butt weld it.

Here's how I did it.

BTW, I had to get an Engineer's Certificate to get my car registered, and the guy told me it was one of the best repairs he'd ever seen!

Mind you, if I had easy access to the ready made article, I probably would have gone that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.