Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 speedometer removal, ..to preserve original mileage
swm914
post Jul 2 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,484
Region Association: None

Hi, I need to remove the speedometer in my '74 914. The needle still works but both odometers stopped. I want to repair it and put it back in in order to preserve original mileage (54K)

What is the most efficient way to do so?

Must I remove the steering wheel? Is this a simple procedure for a mechanically challenged 914 owner?
Thanks
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 2 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

This question might be best answered in the "Garage". But here's mine:
Easiest to remove the steering wheel, not certain if necessary, but I always do. Need large socket, 27mm or 1 1'16" I think.
Gauges are held in by the rubber ring so you just pull them out. Take the tach out first, disconnect and mark/diagram the wires. Then reach in the vacant tach hole and unscrew the cable from the speedo. Pull it out, again taking care to remove and mark the wires.
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Jul 3 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

Mark the steering wheel location so reinstall will be easy to line up.

Repair is not simple for me or for a "mechanically challenged" owner. Getting the trim ring back on the speedo was the hardest part. Pelican has instructions IIRC.

I'd send it to a shop for repair. Seems like a member here does it. If not North Hollywood has always done well for me in the past.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 3 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(swm914 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:01 AM) *

Hi, I need to remove the speedometer in my '74 914. The needle still works but both odometers stopped. I want to repair it and put it back in in order to preserve original mileage (54K)

What is the most efficient way to do so?

Must I remove the steering wheel? Is this a simple procedure for a mechanically challenged 914 owner?
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

It's far easier to remove the wheel. And it's easy, and in they way.

Grab the horn ring, push down, and turn it left. You'll reach a stop. Wiggle it a little & it'll come off. You'll be faced with a BIG nut(forget the dimensions - someone help out here). Before you remove the nut (did I say BIG) mark the top position of the spline with a red Sharpie, so you'll know where to re-position the wheel. Remove nut & wheel & you'll have much easier access to the speedo, which also comes out easily.

On the speedo assy, push from the rear slightly, to remove it from the pod. Unscrew the sender , mark the indicator wires, remove the wires & pop it out the front. Easy.

Send the speedo to Palo Alto, or someone else reputable. Have it taken apart cleaned & re-calibrated. Get it back - put it in in reverse order.

Hint....while you're in there, you may want to do the same with the other instuments. They get fogged up over the years.

Nevertheless, they all are easier to access if the wheel is removed - just be certain to mark the wheel position on the spline.

Easy job, even for me!
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:41 PM