Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> more about Fuchs, Fuchs
Tom_T
post Oct 4 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #41

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2009, 09:19 AM) *

The correct link for the recall info is now: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm

PS I am informed that it was too many years ago and Porsche is not legally obligated to honor those old recalls any more. Something about a statute of limitations...and besides the parts are NLA...

Thanx for the update Jeff -
.....have the other addys for your excellent 914 info website also changed?
........if so, then maybe you could post something here at 914world with the new main one & key info sub-pages?

As to Porsche honoring them - YES they will & are required to by NHTSA & DOT etc.

I have an open order for my 73 2L to have the HO Recall (battery/fuel lines) to be performed whenever I get it to a dealer.

Re; the BO Recall for 73 2L Fuchs Wheels & Hub-centric problem discussed here - I also have a PCNA Regional Service Manager - Rick Perkins (who resto's his own 914 a while back & really nice guy!) - coming out to inspect mine later in Oct., so I'll just verify whether & how they'd perform such a recall even at today's late date. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Furthermore, the VoA letters to the Porsche+Audi dealers which you've linked on your recalls page all say something to the effect that: "...this recall never expires....", which pretty much backs up the above.

btw - we've already established that neither of the applicable HO nor BO Recalls were never done on mine, but since I bought it used in 12/75 (yes 34 years ago) WITHOUT the proper Fuchs wheels on it (had Rivieras & steelie spare) - PCNA cannot change the wheels or offer a free set (DANG!). I'm just going through the process with PCNA to get documentation/letter on what was & wasn't done on mine for resto documentation (I know, I'm too anal on the records end!). I'll post anything I find out for general info from him.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) So you may want to add a note to your 914 Recalls webpage, which indicates this fact for other 914 owners. You can double check this with Jolene Constant or Heather Cooper at PCNA Customer Commitment (former did my HO & latter BO), &/or email me for Rick Perkins' cell # to discuss same with him.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ME733
post Oct 4 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...TOM...So in my wonderment ..about WHY these original "FUCHS" wheels fit..(and do not look like the photograph you showed, of the inside step cut, )..FOR HUB_CENTRIC hubs ..I decided to find out why...( sorry no photographs/I am photo-graph -computer-interface challenged_hope to be resolved soon).....I measured the INSIDE DIAMENTER and DEPH of the "FUCHS" wheels....I measured the OUTSIDE diamenter AND HEIGHT of the "HUB CENTRIC" front hubs....Here,s the result...the CENTERBORE of the "FUCHS" wheels is ..3.180.ths (.approx...81mm.)...AND the depth cut is .550 ths. The "HUB CENTRIC" Hub is 3.090 ths (approx. 78.5 mm)...and the hub centric....hub stands .525 ths above the level surface of the rotor, lug-bolt, mounting holes......THEREFORE : there is .090 ths (approx 2.5 mm) clearance in inside diamenter ...AND... there is .025 ths of clearance inside the wheel to the top of the "hub"....That is why they FIT!...and I would say they look like factory machined , cuts, and finish , inside the wheel....Maybe these were sent back to "FUCHS" remachined, to fit the hubcentric hubs,?. ... AND I measured the "mahle" wheels also.. they have a .002 to .005 ths..inside / outside clearance , mating between the "hub and wheel". tight fit but enough!....BTW...my front disc calapers have two bleed ports....and the rears have only one.(at the top of the calaper..which is all you need anyway)...Just like yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 4 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #43

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Oct 4 2009, 10:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) ...TOM...So in my wonderment ..about WHY these original "mahle " wheels fit..(and do not look like the photograph you showed, of the inside step cut, )..FOR HUB_CENTRIC hubs ..I decided to find out why...( sorry no photographs/I am photo-graph -computer-interface challenged_hope to be resolved soon).....I measured the INSIDE DIAMENTER and DEPH of the "fuchs" wheels....I measured the OUTSIDE diamenter AND HEIGHT of the "HUB CENTRIC" front hubs....Here,s the result...the CENTERBORE of the "FUCHS" wheels is ..3.180.ths (.approx...81mm.)...AND the depth cut is .550 ths. The "HUB CENTRIC" Hub is 3.090 ths (approx. 78.5 mm)...and the hub centric....hub stands .525 ths above the level surface of the rotor, lug-bolt, mounting holes......THEREFORE : there is .090 ths (approx 2.5 mm) clearance in inside diamenter ...AND... there is .025 ths of clearance inside the wheel to the top of the "hub"....That is why they FIT!...and I would say they look like factory machined , cuts, and finish , inside the wheel....Maybe these were sent back to "FUCHS" remachined, to fit the hubcentric hubs,?. ... AND I measured the "mahle" wheels also.. they have a .002 to .005 ths..inside / outside clearance , mating between the "hub and wheel". tight fit but enough!....BTW...my front disc calapers have two bleed ports....and the rears have only one.(at the top of the calaper..which is all you need anyway)...Just like yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Interesting analysis Murry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
....wish I had enough time to just get to clearing out the garage, but too much Biz stuff right now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Do I understand correctly - that your 2 Mahle sets of alloy wheels are not the hub-centric -01 part nos., but have enough center hole clearance overall?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

....or are they both -01 parts nos. with the machined step?

Any of the optional 914 alloy wheels with -00 part nos. could have been re-machined with the groove/step - either here in the USA, or back in Europe - because the BO/BH Recalls require the dealers to return the conforming wheels to Porsche - so who knows where they went!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Some people also have since had the -00 wheels re-machined for the hub-centric inset as well.

2 bleeders F?R were "Late" & 1 bleeders F/R were "Early" style/fitment Brake Calipers, & late 72 MY & early 73 MY apparently had "Mixed Fitment" as they used up the existing stock (those frugal Germans (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).
+Quote Post
ME733
post Oct 4 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 9,209
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) TOM...the ...FUCHS forged wheels..(just one orig. set)..is machined with the clearances I described......The "MAHLE" wheels....(both sets)... END with a ..00...number...and are MACHINED (factory machining).. to FIT ..."HUB CENTRIC"..HUBS...with the .002ths -to -.004ths clearance..between the inside of the wheel ...and outside of the "HUB".....Does this help?...murray (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 4 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #45

TMI....

QUOTE(ME733 @ Oct 4 2009, 07:43 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) TOM...the ...FUCHS forged wheels..(just one orig. set)..is machined with the clearances I described......The "MAHLE" wheels....(both sets)... END with a ..00...number...and are MACHINED (factory machining).. to FIT ..."HUB CENTRIC"..HUBS...with the .002ths -to -.004ths clearance..between the inside of the wheel ...and outside of the "HUB".....Does this help?...murray (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Got it on the Mahles Murry.

Are the Fuchs -00 or -01 P.N.s?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would guess that there is really no way to know for sure, if after-the-fact machining on any -00 wheels is by the "factory" (Fuchs, Mahle, Pedrini, etc.), or if it was done by another machine shop.

However, my guess is that it would be cost prohibitive to ship 1.5x to Europe & back (1st with car, then a round trip) for a set of wheels, just to have them machined for the self-centering hub's lips, so that they would most likely have been done by an aftermarket fix here in the US/CAN, or whichever country of first shipment/sale of the car in question.

I know that I've seen ads online where the seller states that they had the set of "xxx" -00 wheels for sale, machined for the hub-centric hub fitment.

BTW - the non-hub-centric or non-self-centering hubs on the 914/4s, VWs & similar hub cars were not lug-centric - since there are no studs on which to "center" the wheels! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

My method was to sit cross-legged, prop the tire/wheel on my legs & forhead while guiding the lug bolt in an upper hole to get it centered - what a pain in the A!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Fortunately today they sell the brass centering studs to ease the process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 5 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #46

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Hi Tom, I did post the website links update a week ago...Some may have missed it in the main forum:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99714

I hope you will let us know if you actually get the recall work performed, this has been discussed here several times over the years and no one has received the recall work at this late date, regardless of what the recall paperwork says.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 4 2009, 09:58 AM) *

The correct link for the recall info is now: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm

PS I am informed that it was too many years ago and Porsche is not legally obligated to honor those old recalls any more. Something about a statute of limitations...and besides the parts are NLA...

Thanx for the update Jeff -
.....have the other addys for your excellent 914 info website also changed?
........if so, then maybe you could post something here at 914world with the new main one & key info sub-pages?

As to Porsche honoring them - YES they will & are required to by NHTSA & DOT etc.

I have an open order for my 73 2L to have the HO Recall (battery/fuel lines) to be performed whenever I get it to a dealer.

Re; the BO Recall for 73 2L Fuchs Wheels & Hub-centric problem discussed here - I also have a PCNA Regional Service Manager - Rick Perkins (who resto's his own 914 a while back & really nice guy!) - coming out to inspect mine later in Oct., so I'll just verify whether & how they'd perform such a recall even at today's late date. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Furthermore, the VoA letters to the Porsche+Audi dealers which you've linked on your recalls page all say something to the effect that: "...this recall never expires....", which pretty much backs up the above.

btw - we've already established that neither of the applicable HO nor BO Recalls were never done on mine, but since I bought it used in 12/75 (yes 34 years ago) WITHOUT the proper Fuchs wheels on it (had Rivieras & steelie spare) - PCNA cannot change the wheels or offer a free set (DANG!). I'm just going through the process with PCNA to get documentation/letter on what was & wasn't done on mine for resto documentation (I know, I'm too anal on the records end!). I'll post anything I find out for general info from him.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) So you may want to add a note to your 914 Recalls webpage, which indicates this fact for other 914 owners. You can double check this with Jolene Constant or Heather Cooper at PCNA Customer Commitment (former did my HO & latter BO), &/or email me for Rick Perkins' cell # to discuss same with him.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 5 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #47

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 5 2009, 01:49 PM) *

Hi Tom, I did post the website links update a week ago...Some may have missed it in the main forum:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=99714

I hope you will let us know if you actually get the recall work performed, this has been discussed here several times over the years and no one has received the recall work at this late date, regardless of what the recall paperwork says.
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 4 2009, 09:58 AM) *

Sorry - I was one of those who missed it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Thanx for the alert & link!

For All:

BO & BH ALLOY WHEELS RECALL:

I would think that subsequent work or long term damage on the BO/BH wheel fitment recalls for anyone who never had it done & drove a 914 for 37+/- years on the "wrong wheels", &/or those like mine which no longer have the OE Fuchs 2L wheels, would negate Porsche doing those 2 recalls at this late date.

If they did one, then PCNA would probably just offer some negotiated compensation in lieu - with a full release of Porsche's liability of course, and let the owner source their own -01 wheels on the open market; or else offer alternative wheels with the proper fit.

However, for the groups' info., I'll post here any letter/docs. which PCNA provides to me on the matter "for the record".

HO RECALL FOR BATTERY & FUEL LINES ON ALL 914S:

If others want to make a run at Porsche/PCNA to get this done for their 914 at this late date, PM me & I'll give you names & contacts to pursue it, so we can see if they really will do it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

As to the HO Recall - battery covers, pads, hold down parts, fuel/etc. hoses covered under that "All 914s" battery acid/fuel lines recall - are all still readily available, such that they could do them if followed through by a current owner. That is, even if some/most aren't "Genuine Porsche" parts now, but even "back in the day" they often used an Audi or VW full-top battery cover, from what I understand from others who had it done back then.

However, those parts are also still available at not too much cost to us regular folks thru PP, AA, etc. - so I think many may just do it themselves.

Some others may have had long term lack of notification problems - e.g.: because of their records problems at PCNA on my 914, I never got the HO Recall notification from them since I bought it back in 12/75, nor did the PO back then have one to pass along to me. In such cases, I don't know their liability (if any) to also replace the battery tray/support & any other "collateral damage"?

If/when I get it done, I'll update here &/or do a fresh post (since it's off-topic & we don't want to give poor ole Pat a coronary! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) - as well as to post any sort of an "official" letter or doc. from PCNA in regards to those recalls - for the info of all 914 owners here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

However, since mine has been holding down blocks in the garage for 24+ years now, it really needs them all & more replaced before running/driving - plus the extent of body repair & resto will most probably be a full strip job! So I don't know if it will even be worth having it towed first to the Porsche dealer to do the HO Recall while the car is still intact, then to my mechanic to pull the drivetrain/etc., then to the body shop, etc......get my drift!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I'll be playing that by ear, weighing cost-benefit-savings & if it's necessary to get the "official" HO sticker at this late date in terms of authenticity, safety assurances &/or future value, etc. - as I spend big bucks to restore it???? ...vs. just doing it all myself?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Any thoughts on that last aspect, from Jeff or others? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(I've now got most parts in hand & tray/support just in case I do it myself!)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 07:53 PM