Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> So....Brain Fart leads to surprise find...., Stoopid is as stoopid does...
Joe Bob
post Jul 14 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

SO....working on the 914/6 restoration and was ready to install the drive train, I try to hook up the axles to the to the stubbies which were in the swing arms. I've done it before even though it's easier to pull the stubs, install and then slide the stubs back in with axle attached. I was lazy....the ass end was in the air and pulling castle nuts w/o an engine and on the ground is virtually impossible.

Anyways, something was wrong....so I pulled the passenger side stubbie.....it wasn't on tight which gave me pause.... and found that it was a 911 stub that has a larger flange and that's why I could not bolt up to the CV. Shyte!!!!!!

Called the PO, know anything about the missing 914/6 stub axles? (note the plural on axles) Nope.....shyte x2..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Called the Krusty one, nope....called all the usual sources, Eric, Perry, Brad M, Chuck Moreland, Clay who accused me of drunk dialing, Easy Porsche (Bradhole won't take my calls or answer PMs....go figure), both Glenns, the Slitster, Parts Heaven, dC automotive, Bontempi at HPH (twice...drunk dialing again?).....you name em I called them....Otto's and AA had repros and I was almost ready to pull the trigger......not to my head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Later, I made a visit to West Coast Garage and while abusing the Cap'n spotted 5-6 stubbies on top of a filing cabinet.....one looked a bit different...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

There's one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John had no idea where it came from.....looking in pile of discards, we hoped to find the mate....nope.....

Took a 40 minute drive north to GPR, searched thru their pile of derelict axles and found a five lug hub/rotor/stubbie assembly still in a swing arm..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Mark and I threw in a vise and pounded off the disc and the hub....looked inside and crap....four lug, re-drilled to five......Shyte x3.....

More phone calls....Stazak even offered to front me one until a miracle happens and a single shows up.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Internet searches pulled up an old eBay ad with Master Steve's bolt on, plastic boobs GF showing a pair....he even painted the damn things gold.....the stubbies...not her bolt ons.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

More, phone calls....$197 to Otto was about to happen. My PayPal account has some $$$......I think it's time to drink heavily.......either that or buy Eric's redrilled four lug hubs, replace the bearings and use 914/4 stubs and stuff....both ways involved spending money that I just didn't want to spend......I just had a feeling that I should keep looking.

Wait a minute......where's my flash light? Ahhhh....there it is right where I left it. Under the empty beer cans.....

What does the driver side stubbie look like? Hmmmmmmm, that's odd, the flange looks smaller than the one I pulled out on the passenger side. Hook up the air tool, and pull the castle nut. I slide out the stubbie....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

AHHHHHHHHHFUCH.......Kill me now.......it's the missing 914/6 stubbie..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

The stoopid thing was in there the whole time...

I can only assume....that MAYBE, MAYBE....the stub axle found at John's was the one replaced with the 911 stub I found in the passenger side swing arm. The PO was a customer of John's and the tub spent some time at his shop....I think. Can't think of any other explanation.......at one time the plan was to put a 3.2 in this tub and a 915 trans.....

Anyways.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I can now install the drive train.....untill something else that's missing stops me....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:32 AM