Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So....Brain Fart leads to surprise find....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
SO....working on the 914/6 restoration and was ready to install the drive train, I try to hook up the axles to the to the stubbies which were in the swing arms. I've done it before even though it's easier to pull the stubs, install and then slide the stubs back in with axle attached. I was lazy....the ass end was in the air and pulling castle nuts w/o an engine and on the ground is virtually impossible.

Anyways, something was wrong....so I pulled the passenger side stubbie.....it wasn't on tight which gave me pause.... and found that it was a 911 stub that has a larger flange and that's why I could not bolt up to the CV. Shyte!!!!!!

Called the PO, know anything about the missing 914/6 stub axles? (note the plural on axles) Nope.....shyte x2..... headbang.gif

Called the Krusty one, nope....called all the usual sources, Eric, Perry, Brad M, Chuck Moreland, Clay who accused me of drunk dialing, Easy Porsche (Bradhole won't take my calls or answer PMs....go figure), both Glenns, the Slitster, Parts Heaven, dC automotive, Bontempi at HPH (twice...drunk dialing again?).....you name em I called them....Otto's and AA had repros and I was almost ready to pull the trigger......not to my head poke.gif

Later, I made a visit to West Coast Garage and while abusing the Cap'n spotted 5-6 stubbies on top of a filing cabinet.....one looked a bit different...... WTF.gif

There's one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John had no idea where it came from.....looking in pile of discards, we hoped to find the mate....nope.....

Took a 40 minute drive north to GPR, searched thru their pile of derelict axles and found a five lug hub/rotor/stubbie assembly still in a swing arm..... w00t.gif

Mark and I threw in a vise and pounded off the disc and the hub....looked inside and crap....four lug, re-drilled to five......Shyte x3.....

More phone calls....Stazak even offered to front me one until a miracle happens and a single shows up.... shades.gif Internet searches pulled up an old eBay ad with Master Steve's bolt on, plastic boobs GF showing a pair....he even painted the damn things gold.....the stubbies...not her bolt ons.... blink.gif

More, phone calls....$197 to Otto was about to happen. My PayPal account has some $$$......I think it's time to drink heavily.......either that or buy Eric's redrilled four lug hubs, replace the bearings and use 914/4 stubs and stuff....both ways involved spending money that I just didn't want to spend......I just had a feeling that I should keep looking.

Wait a minute......where's my flash light? Ahhhh....there it is right where I left it. Under the empty beer cans.....

What does the driver side stubbie look like? Hmmmmmmm, that's odd, the flange looks smaller than the one I pulled out on the passenger side. Hook up the air tool, and pull the castle nut. I slide out the stubbie....... lol-2.gif

AHHHHHHHHHFUCH.......Kill me now.......it's the missing 914/6 stubbie..... aktion035.gif

The stoopid thing was in there the whole time...

I can only assume....that MAYBE, MAYBE....the stub axle found at John's was the one replaced with the 911 stub I found in the passenger side swing arm. The PO was a customer of John's and the tub spent some time at his shop....I think. Can't think of any other explanation.......at one time the plan was to put a 3.2 in this tub and a 915 trans.....

Anyways.... wacko.gif I can now install the drive train.....untill something else that's missing stops me....
Cupomeat
Is the moral of the story "When all else fails, go back to the beer cans"?
Sleepin
av-943.gif

What a great read to start my morning! Thanks Z!
markb
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 14 2009, 08:19 AM) *

av-943.gif

What a great read to start my morning! Thanks Z!

agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The car itself was never here, and the stubbie you got was from some other source. You can be thankful now, because it NEVER belonged to the PO of this car .........

The Cap'n
Joe Bob
Oh well, either way, I owes ya....
rick 918-S
WTF.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Gint
laugh.gif Stand by...
SLITS
Whatzmatter Mikey .... lose your tinfoil hat?
Katmanken
So Mikey, whats in yer left pocket????

What's in yer right......

If I ask you again....

Will it be different at night????
Joe Bob
OH Yeah, what's in my pockets?????

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Meathead

QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 14 2009, 09:08 PM) *

OH Yeah, what's in my pockets?????

Click to view attachment

Joe Bob
Thought I was kidding????

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
SLITS
At least 3 images I never want to see again! barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
Katmanken
I sure hope yer not doing an elephant imitation in that pic....
Joe Bob
Click to view attachment
Katmanken
blink.gif

My Eyes!!!!!!!!!!

My Eyes!!!!!!
markb
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! icon8.gif
Joe Bob
At least I don't have new pink panties......

Check your signature Marky...... shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.