Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starter cranking when ignition is in the ON position
mtbr_mark
post Jul 25 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,247
Region Association: None

Anybody have any words of wisdom on this issue? Im buttoning up a 914-6 conversion right now on a '71. I dropped in a 2.0 six from a '70 914-6, plugged the wiring connectors from the -6 motor into the -4 relay board, jumped a switched 12V from the board at one of the old EFI plugs to the fuel pump, but now, when I go to turn the ignition to the "ON" position (not the cranking position) it begins to turn over (as if being held in the cranking position). Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

- Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 25 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Follow the yellow wire from the starter back to the relay board...you have 12vdc power to it when the key is on.

whatever you jumped it may have been wrong.

It could also be your ignition switch died, but I have never heard of it happening like that...typically it wont start when the switch dies.

I would suspect your custom wiring.

Rich
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jul 25 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Sounds like the starter solenoid wire (yellow) is getting power when key is switched on. Pull the harness connector from the engine harness on the relay board.Take the top off each connector to make checking them eaiser. Make note of which connector the yellow wire was on and see if it gets power with the key on. Find the connector on the relay board that gets power when the switch is in the start position. Rearange the yellow wire on the connector from the engine to match the yellow wire connection on the relay board that gets the power with the switch in start position.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jul 25 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Make sure there is not a dual filament bulb in the passenger side turn signal socket.
+Quote Post
mtbr_mark
post Jul 28 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 25 2009, 07:30 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Sounds like the starter solenoid wire (yellow) is getting power when key is switched on. Pull the harness connector from the engine harness on the relay board.Take the top off each connector to make checking them eaiser. Make note of which connector the yellow wire was on and see if it gets power with the key on. Find the connector on the relay board that gets power when the switch is in the start position. Rearange the yellow wire on the connector from the engine to match the yellow wire connection on the relay board that gets the power with the switch in start position.

Sounds good. I was planning on marking out each and every wire in both looms to check their connections at the relay board. This sounds like the first (and most obvious) sign that stuff's a bit off in there. Thank you.
+Quote Post
mtbr_mark
post Jul 28 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 25 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Make sure there is not a dual filament bulb in the passenger side turn signal socket.

I'm not one to throw this acronym around at all, but WTF?!?!?! Is that near the halogen fluid or is what you're saying even something worth the time that I've sunk into it?
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jul 28 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #7

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

He means pull the lens off and check the passenger's side turn signal bulb and see that it has only one "tit" connector on it on the bottom and NOT two....
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jul 28 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There is a glitch to the 914's wiring. For some reason if you put a dual filament (ie. Brake Light Bulb) in the passenger side turn signal socket, it can cause the starter not to disengage.

I know...it sounds weird...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:45 PM