Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter cranking when ignition is in the ON position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtbr_mark
Anybody have any words of wisdom on this issue? Im buttoning up a 914-6 conversion right now on a '71. I dropped in a 2.0 six from a '70 914-6, plugged the wiring connectors from the -6 motor into the -4 relay board, jumped a switched 12V from the board at one of the old EFI plugs to the fuel pump, but now, when I go to turn the ignition to the "ON" position (not the cranking position) it begins to turn over (as if being held in the cranking position). Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.

- Mark
r_towle
Follow the yellow wire from the starter back to the relay board...you have 12vdc power to it when the key is on.

whatever you jumped it may have been wrong.

It could also be your ignition switch died, but I have never heard of it happening like that...typically it wont start when the switch dies.

I would suspect your custom wiring.

Rich
jt914-6
agree.gif
Sounds like the starter solenoid wire (yellow) is getting power when key is switched on. Pull the harness connector from the engine harness on the relay board.Take the top off each connector to make checking them eaiser. Make note of which connector the yellow wire was on and see if it gets power with the key on. Find the connector on the relay board that gets power when the switch is in the start position. Rearange the yellow wire on the connector from the engine to match the yellow wire connection on the relay board that gets the power with the switch in start position.
Sleepin
Make sure there is not a dual filament bulb in the passenger side turn signal socket.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 25 2009, 07:30 PM) *

agree.gif
Sounds like the starter solenoid wire (yellow) is getting power when key is switched on. Pull the harness connector from the engine harness on the relay board.Take the top off each connector to make checking them eaiser. Make note of which connector the yellow wire was on and see if it gets power with the key on. Find the connector on the relay board that gets power when the switch is in the start position. Rearange the yellow wire on the connector from the engine to match the yellow wire connection on the relay board that gets the power with the switch in start position.

Sounds good. I was planning on marking out each and every wire in both looms to check their connections at the relay board. This sounds like the first (and most obvious) sign that stuff's a bit off in there. Thank you.
mtbr_mark
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 25 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Make sure there is not a dual filament bulb in the passenger side turn signal socket.

I'm not one to throw this acronym around at all, but WTF?!?!?! Is that near the halogen fluid or is what you're saying even something worth the time that I've sunk into it?
jt914-6
He means pull the lens off and check the passenger's side turn signal bulb and see that it has only one "tit" connector on it on the bottom and NOT two....
Sleepin
There is a glitch to the 914's wiring. For some reason if you put a dual filament (ie. Brake Light Bulb) in the passenger side turn signal socket, it can cause the starter not to disengage.

I know...it sounds weird...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.