Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 V8 cooling, overheating issues
Howard
post Mar 7 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #21

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

And oops again. Forgot to shrink!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 7 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #22

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 7 2004, 07:45 PM)
Watching golf is like watching sex. The pros may be better but I'd just as soon stumble through it myself

I have to admit I have no idea what you guys are talking about with this water-pumper 914 stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ...but that quote is hilarious! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 7 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #23

Incontin(g)ent Member

Chris, didn't know you played golf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 7 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

His radiator is a RH setup from the early/mid 90's. It is two 3 core radiators setup as a double pass unit. The water flows through the front 3 rows then through the back 3 rows. It uses a Corvette electric fan and a VW rabbit thermostat switch for the fan.

IF.. the pics posted here where of his car...

B
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 8 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Howard when I looked at the pictures of your car on Ebay. The cooling system was a early Renegade. It is two radiator cores one in front and one in the rear and a double pass system with the water going to the front core first and then to the rear. If you look you can see that the common tank is on the left. I had one of these in my car at first and it cooled great. This is really a good radiator and should cool your car fine.

With the temp. sender in the head its going to read hotter than if it was mounted on the intake by the thermostat.

What kind of Heads and headers are on your car? I can see that the headers are for spread port head and it looks like a adapter is used for a standard head. This is really a good thing you don't see these everyday.

Lets see some more pictures of the radiator and how the thing is plumbed up.

Bob
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 8 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Funny.. that is what I said...LOL

B
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 8 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #27

damn I type slow........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 8 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #28

914 Freak!

I'm just happy you are contributing. I'm seriously thinking about a V8 conversion area on the BBS. I have customer cars in the shop right now that have NO idea where to turn too for minor tweaks/issues that may arise during their ownership of converted cars. The common denominator they all have: web access/hate email groups/own V8 914's. humm...

B
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Mar 8 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 7 2004, 10:10 PM)
I'm just happy you are contributing. I'm seriously thinking about a V8 conversion area on the BBS. I have customer cars in the shop right now that have NO idea where to turn too for minor tweaks/issues that may arise during their ownership of converted cars. The common denominator they all have: web access/hate email groups/own V8 914's. humm...

B

Brad,

I think that is a good idea. From what I see, most of the V8 guys tend to lurk more than contribute and understand why. I've gotten over it and don't mind mixing things up.

A separate V8 section would make it easier for the newbie to find information specific to his car.

John
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 8 2004, 09:58 AM
Post #30

Incontin(g)ent Member

John, Bob, Asshole...

Obviously, not sure what I've got here, but do have a file folder full of receipts. Will go thru them to look for some key words on motor.

Back to sender. Should I just get another sender and put in intake manifold? Current one is useless, as it goes right to 240 and sits there. Fan, no fan, warm day, cool night, at speed, at idle, in traffic, 10 minutes after shutdown, it's 240.

Anyway, will remove cover and try to get some better rad pictures. As far as heads, engine specs and such, send in the experts. Headers are beautiful jet coated thingies that sound great, but don't know much more as of now. Someone local know this shit?

IF.. the pics posted here where of his car...

Brad, is this how you got your nickname? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 8 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #31

Howard I didn't see your first pictures that you linked to on your post. That radiator is just as Brad and I said. That thing will cool your car.

After looking at the pictures It sure looks like a well built car all an fittings on the water pump and those headers look great. If the rest of the car is like the few pictures on you web page you got a hell of a deal.

Bob
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Mar 8 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,066

Howard,

I'm with Bob, you got a deal! I'd hate to admit what I have in my car and still need to paint.

Yes, I would just buy another water gage and install on intake. The pictures I included that showed top of my motor are the most common places to mount sender. You should have at least one mounting position on either left or right side of thermostat housing. Look for a pipe plug about 1/2" in dia.. Note: buy a matched set (sender and gage) as you don't know which part of your system is bad.

I prefer the mechanical gage. It takes a little longer to snake the larger tube from front to back as opposed to a thin wire, but the readings are accurate and instantanious. I recommend the Autometer 2-5/8" mechanical #105-4433 from Jegs (1-800-345-4545) or similar for about $75. It comes with 12' of tubing necessary for routing in a 914 and you can easily mount under dash, in center of car for easy viewing.

Look forward to reading about your results.

John
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 8 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #33

Incontin(g)ent Member

Thanks for the advice and kind words.

Will keep you posted on updates and new questions.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 10 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #34

Incontin(g)ent Member

Latest comment from 'knowledgeable' Chev mechanic.

Later V8's have the temp sensor in the head, right between the exhaust ports. Hottest spot in engine, and 240 is 'nominal'.

Gauges on stock cars don't list degrees, just C to H. He said to get one of those and don't panic. Did show me aftermarket replacement that goes up to 270. Is this all BS???
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 10 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #35

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My current V8 has two h20 temp gauges, one is a regular h20 temp gauge reads up to @220??? I will have to look, the other is an oil temp gauge that reads up to @310 ?? Both are mountd on the dash one in the ashtray hole and the other where a radio used to lurk.
CLINCAMP9148
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 10 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 10 2004, 07:35 AM)
Latest comment from 'knowledgeable' Chev mechanic.

Later V8's have the temp sensor in the head, right between the exhaust ports. Hottest spot in engine, and 240 is 'nominal'.

Gauges on stock cars don't list degrees, just C to H. He said to get one of those and don't panic. Did show me aftermarket replacement that goes up to 270. Is this all BS???

Howard he is right. Thats what I said in one of my post. I went thru this with a freind. His car would read about 30/40 degrees hotter than the gauge in the intake.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 10 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #37

Incontin(g)ent Member

Thanks, needed moral support, guys. Don't know if true, but for all you really old pharts...

Ford came out with the V8-60 in the early thirties. The '60' was the 60mph brag for top speed, something unheard of in an economy car.

The story goes.. A guy buys one that won't go past 55. Takes it back to dealer several times without satisfaction. Deal ends up on Henry's desk. Memo from him to dealer: Adjust speedometer, dummy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I don't need no estinkin' gauges!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Mar 10 2004, 05:21 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Howard,

I was not actually trying to be an asshole at that point. I could'nt tell who was posting pics of whose car. I knew you owned one...

B
+Quote Post
Howard
post Mar 10 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #39

Incontin(g)ent Member

Holy shit, Brad. Don't go sensitive on me. Ragging you is the only way I can pay you back for the great advice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:01 PM