Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: A glimpse at my old job :)
Dr Evil
post Aug 2 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRHoYUgnYg

This is a video sent to me by one of my friends in New Orleans. The victim had his foot almost amputated by a bull shark. My Friend, Jeff, was one of my students. I met him when he was just a deck ape on my old ship and I was part of the aviation detachment on a cruise to the South Pacific. I would hold sessions up in the hanger when anyone interested in going into aviation could come up and ask questions, look at anything and actually touch the helicopter. When I was just a deck ape, the hanger was not very welcoming so I tried to change that paradigm. This hoist was not too difficult as the seas are not rough and the weather was calm, but that speed boat was pretty tiny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I am pretty proud of Jeff, he has become an outstanding airman. Makes me miss my old job, a lot. Oh ya, he is doing my old job operating the hoist and controlling the helo on scene. He is not the swimmer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Aug 2 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #2

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 12:37 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRHoYUgnYg

This is a video sent to me by one of my friends in New Orleans. The victim had his foot almost amputated by a bull shark. My Friend, Jeff, was one of my students. I met him when he was just a deck ape on my old ship and I was part of the aviation detachment on a cruise to the South Pacific. I would hold sessions up in the hanger when anyone interested in going into aviation could come up and ask questions, look at anything and actually touch the helicopter. When I was just a deck ape, the hanger was not very welcoming so I tried to change that paradigm. This hoist was not too difficult as the seas are not rough and the weather was calm, but that speed boat was pretty tiny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I am pretty proud of Jeff, he has become an outstanding airman. Makes me miss my old job, a lot. Oh ya, he is doing my old job operating the hoist and controlling the helo on scene. He is not the swimmer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Very cool!
+Quote Post
rudedude
post Aug 2 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,387
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Why is the target boat moving, is it easier than if it is still?
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Aug 3 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #4

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

The USCG are unsung heroes. I've been watching a lot of "Deadliest Catch" and they are out there no matter the weather, when lives are in peril on the sea.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Aug 3 2009, 07:05 AM
Post #5

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Hero!!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 3 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rudedude @ Aug 2 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Why is the target boat moving, is it easier than if it is still?

Yup. A boat that small would be blown all over the place with the helo hovering over top. Also, the seas toss a boat like that around when it is not underway. It tracks better under power.

As for Deadliest Catch, I spent lots of time in those waters in the crappiest weather as a deck ape. Did I mention that I get very sea sick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) I have picks of us beating up to 12" thick ice off of the super structure to keep the 378' ship from capsizing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) My first cruise out we rescued 12 crew members from a large cargo ship that had an engine room fire and was dead in the water in 30-40' seas. I was washing dishes and watching it all on the ships video camera as I just got to the ship and was the lowest ranking person (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Aug 3 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #7

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hmmmm.....

A new outlook on the expression "just hanging out"

Looks dangerous. My dad (the military pilot) told me that wings are supposed to be fixed and if the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Aug 3 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #8

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(kwales @ Aug 3 2009, 12:33 PM) *

Hmmmm.....

A new outlook on the expression "just hanging out"

Looks dangerous. My dad (the military pilot) told me that wings are supposed to be fixed and if the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Helicopter
he-li-cop-ter
ˈhe-lə-ˌkäp-tər

noun

10,000 spare parts flying in close formation.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

-Josh2
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 3 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

A helicopter that hasn't failed is about to... I guess you could probably say that about a 914 too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:28 PM