Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: A glimpse at my old job :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRHoYUgnYg

This is a video sent to me by one of my friends in New Orleans. The victim had his foot almost amputated by a bull shark. My Friend, Jeff, was one of my students. I met him when he was just a deck ape on my old ship and I was part of the aviation detachment on a cruise to the South Pacific. I would hold sessions up in the hanger when anyone interested in going into aviation could come up and ask questions, look at anything and actually touch the helicopter. When I was just a deck ape, the hanger was not very welcoming so I tried to change that paradigm. This hoist was not too difficult as the seas are not rough and the weather was calm, but that speed boat was pretty tiny smile.gif I am pretty proud of Jeff, he has become an outstanding airman. Makes me miss my old job, a lot. Oh ya, he is doing my old job operating the hoist and controlling the helo on scene. He is not the swimmer rolleyes.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 12:37 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRHoYUgnYg

This is a video sent to me by one of my friends in New Orleans. The victim had his foot almost amputated by a bull shark. My Friend, Jeff, was one of my students. I met him when he was just a deck ape on my old ship and I was part of the aviation detachment on a cruise to the South Pacific. I would hold sessions up in the hanger when anyone interested in going into aviation could come up and ask questions, look at anything and actually touch the helicopter. When I was just a deck ape, the hanger was not very welcoming so I tried to change that paradigm. This hoist was not too difficult as the seas are not rough and the weather was calm, but that speed boat was pretty tiny smile.gif I am pretty proud of Jeff, he has become an outstanding airman. Makes me miss my old job, a lot. Oh ya, he is doing my old job operating the hoist and controlling the helo on scene. He is not the swimmer rolleyes.gif

Very cool!
rudedude
Why is the target boat moving, is it easier than if it is still?
zymurgist
thumb3d.gif

The USCG are unsung heroes. I've been watching a lot of "Deadliest Catch" and they are out there no matter the weather, when lives are in peril on the sea.
nsr-jamie
Hero!!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rudedude @ Aug 2 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Why is the target boat moving, is it easier than if it is still?

Yup. A boat that small would be blown all over the place with the helo hovering over top. Also, the seas toss a boat like that around when it is not underway. It tracks better under power.

As for Deadliest Catch, I spent lots of time in those waters in the crappiest weather as a deck ape. Did I mention that I get very sea sick icon8.gif I have picks of us beating up to 12" thick ice off of the super structure to keep the 378' ship from capsizing. blink.gif My first cruise out we rescued 12 crew members from a large cargo ship that had an engine room fire and was dead in the water in 30-40' seas. I was washing dishes and watching it all on the ships video camera as I just got to the ship and was the lowest ranking person wink.gif
Katmanken
Hmmmm.....

A new outlook on the expression "just hanging out"

Looks dangerous. My dad (the military pilot) told me that wings are supposed to be fixed and if the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe. happy11.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(kwales @ Aug 3 2009, 12:33 PM) *

Hmmmm.....

A new outlook on the expression "just hanging out"

Looks dangerous. My dad (the military pilot) told me that wings are supposed to be fixed and if the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe. happy11.gif

Helicopter
he-li-cop-ter
ˈhe-lə-ˌkäp-tər

noun

10,000 spare parts flying in close formation.

biggrin.gif

-Josh2
ConeDodger
A helicopter that hasn't failed is about to... I guess you could probably say that about a 914 too poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.