Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> carb linkage return spring, need the right tension
nycchef
post Aug 17 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #1

mechanical moron

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,202
Region Association: None

been trying different home depot springs on my hex bar carb set up. can't find the right tension, either i need 2 feet\ to depress the pedal or it takes 10 seconds to come down from 5000 rpm's. what are you guys using?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Aug 17 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

try the auto-parts store... a carb return spring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
neil30076
post Aug 17 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Recovering dismantler!

Member No.: 6,826

QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 17 2009, 02:26 PM) *

been trying different home depot springs on my hex bar carb set up. can't find the right tension, either i need 2 feet\ to depress the pedal or it takes 10 seconds to come down from 5000 rpm's. what are you guys using?

Rich,
Have you identified where it is 'heavy"?
1) If you unhook the spiring and the cable, and attach the cable diretly to the spring, does it still feel the same?
2)With the cable completely disconnected, does it still feel as heavy when you push down on the gas pedal?
3) If you tie a 10lb lead weight around you right foot does it feel lighter when you press the pedal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Aug 17 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #4

mechanical moron

Member No.: 5,202

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Aug 17 2009, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 17 2009, 02:26 PM) *

Rich,
Have you identified where it is 'heavy"?
1) If you unhook the spiring and the cable, and attach the cable diretly to the spring, does it still feel the same?
2)With the cable completely disconnected, does it still feel as heavy when you push down on the gas pedal?
3) If you tie a 10lb lead weight around you right foot does it feel lighter when you press the pedal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i think the problem is the angle of the cable coming out of the non stock (read homemade) cable mount, i adjusted the angle a bit and it,s lighter and a little more even, will have to have a higher one fabricated.
as for Question 2 .. i do not have a 10 lb lead weight, i have a 115 lb dead weight but thankfully she is visiting her sister.

seriously neil. tyhis car is coming along. seems to be running a little lean and stumbles a little at about 2800 rpms or so. but i'm getting closer. thanks for all the help
+Quote Post
neil30076
post Aug 17 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Recovering dismantler!

Member No.: 6,826

i think the problem is the angle of the cable coming out of the non stock (read homemade) cable mount, i adjusted the angle a bit and it,s lighter and a little more even, will have to have a higher one fabricated.
as for Question 2 .. i do not have a 10 lb lead weight, i have a 115 lb dead weight but thankfully she is visiting her sister.

seriously neil. tyhis car is coming along. seems to be running a little lean and stumbles a little at about 2800 rpms or so. but i'm getting closer. thanks for all the help
[/quote]
LOL! Hopefully she never reads your post!

The cable angle is critical for smooth ( and light) response. If you still have Sean Malloy's post he has an excellent diagram, basically the cable should pull smoothly through an arc, at mid point the cable to linkage should be at 90 %, not up or down. The spring angle should be 90% at mid point also for smoothest transition.
Others may disagree, but this works for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
CliffBraun
post Aug 18 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,933

11 is the right spring rate.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:56 PM