Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb linkage return spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
been trying different home depot springs on my hex bar carb set up. can't find the right tension, either i need 2 feet\ to depress the pedal or it takes 10 seconds to come down from 5000 rpm's. what are you guys using?
tat2dphreak
try the auto-parts store... a carb return spring smile.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 17 2009, 02:26 PM) *

been trying different home depot springs on my hex bar carb set up. can't find the right tension, either i need 2 feet\ to depress the pedal or it takes 10 seconds to come down from 5000 rpm's. what are you guys using?

Rich,
Have you identified where it is 'heavy"?
1) If you unhook the spiring and the cable, and attach the cable diretly to the spring, does it still feel the same?
2)With the cable completely disconnected, does it still feel as heavy when you push down on the gas pedal?
3) If you tie a 10lb lead weight around you right foot does it feel lighter when you press the pedal biggrin.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Aug 17 2009, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 17 2009, 02:26 PM) *

Rich,
Have you identified where it is 'heavy"?
1) If you unhook the spiring and the cable, and attach the cable diretly to the spring, does it still feel the same?
2)With the cable completely disconnected, does it still feel as heavy when you push down on the gas pedal?
3) If you tie a 10lb lead weight around you right foot does it feel lighter when you press the pedal biggrin.gif

i think the problem is the angle of the cable coming out of the non stock (read homemade) cable mount, i adjusted the angle a bit and it,s lighter and a little more even, will have to have a higher one fabricated.
as for Question 2 .. i do not have a 10 lb lead weight, i have a 115 lb dead weight but thankfully she is visiting her sister.

seriously neil. tyhis car is coming along. seems to be running a little lean and stumbles a little at about 2800 rpms or so. but i'm getting closer. thanks for all the help
neil30076

i think the problem is the angle of the cable coming out of the non stock (read homemade) cable mount, i adjusted the angle a bit and it,s lighter and a little more even, will have to have a higher one fabricated.
as for Question 2 .. i do not have a 10 lb lead weight, i have a 115 lb dead weight but thankfully she is visiting her sister.

seriously neil. tyhis car is coming along. seems to be running a little lean and stumbles a little at about 2800 rpms or so. but i'm getting closer. thanks for all the help
[/quote]
LOL! Hopefully she never reads your post!

The cable angle is critical for smooth ( and light) response. If you still have Sean Malloy's post he has an excellent diagram, basically the cable should pull smoothly through an arc, at mid point the cable to linkage should be at 90 %, not up or down. The spring angle should be 90% at mid point also for smoothest transition.
Others may disagree, but this works for me biggrin.gif
CliffBraun
11 is the right spring rate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.