Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Still no turn signals
Rod
post Sep 6 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 07:59 PM) *

been dealing with turn signals on my 72 1.7..

flashers work, left side parking (ignition off) works, and no signals..

I decided to pull the steering wheel and inspect, found that one of the contacts on the flasher armature (there are two long copper connectors with two springs behind them) was mashed down, frozen and both springs behind it were disintegrated... trying to find two springs now.. I understand your pain...

water is the enemy.

no to figure out why the fresh air blower doesnt work...

The fresh air blower will either be the contacts behind the control levers, they tend to break and/or corrode. Second check that the fan itself will actually turn - they fill up with leaves and can jam solid.

With regards to the OP and the Indicator problem - I was having problem after problem with my indicators they worked (sometimes) until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
blazerchad
post Sep 6 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 10,684
Region Association: None

until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.

where to get a new????????
+Quote Post
Rod
post Sep 6 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 08:24 PM) *

until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.

where to get a new????????

I got mine from a Porsche parts supplier here in the UK. Roger Bray restorations iirc.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Sep 16 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM) *

The new relay didn't work. I still have something that puzzles me. With the key off, with the left turn signal on, the left turn signal bulb lights up. with the right turn signal on, the right marker light lights up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Exactly what mine does ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 11:59 AM) *

been dealing with turn signals on my 72 1.7..

flashers work, left side parking (ignition off) works, and no signals..

+914 ........ my lights work with the switch on/ignition off as normal ..... but the LH does not 'flash' with the ignition ON ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 16 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #45

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Do the 4 way flashers work? If not, check you have power (12 volts) on pin #49
on the flasher relay (Red wire) also check that there is no power on #31 (Brown wire) if you have voltage there your ground wire is bad. Do this with the key off
and 4 ways on.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 16 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 4,566

The 4 ways don't work. I do have 12v at the red wire and nothing at the brown wire. I have another relay ordered from Pelican that should be here Friday. I'm hoping that fixes it but I'm betting it won't!
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 16 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #47

904SVO

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The 4 ways don't work. I do have 12v at the red wire and nothing at the brown wire. I have another relay ordered from Pelican that should be here Friday. I'm hoping that fixes it but I'm betting it won't!

Try putting a external ground on the brown wire. I hope that you are measuring
the voltage on the pins on the relay there is just enought room to put a probe
in there.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 16 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #48

let me try measuring the relay instead of the switch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 16 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #49

I checked on the relay and on 49 I have 12v and on 31 I have nothing. Then I wiggled the relay a little but and the fuse on 11 blew. I'm sure it's in my wiring somewhere!
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 17 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #50

904SVO

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 08:37 PM) *

I checked on the relay and on 49 I have 12v and on 31 I have nothing. Then I wiggled the relay a little but and the fuse on 11 blew. I'm sure it's in my wiring somewhere!

Going to take a WAG on this now. Remove the turn signal bulbs and the brake
bulb and try it again, I guessing that one of the bulbs may have a short in it.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 18 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #51

So I get my new relay from Pelican today, not really hoping that it would fix the problem but I wanted a relay I could trust. So I put it in and pull the hazard switch and the #11 fuse blew. So I took out all the bulbs, including the interior light bulb, and tried again. The fuse blew again. I have another hazard switch and tried it. same thing, fuse blew! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 18 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #52

904SVO

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 18 2009, 07:30 PM) *

So I get my new relay from Pelican today, not really hoping that it would fix the problem but I wanted a relay I could trust. So I put it in and pull the hazard switch and the #11 fuse blew. So I took out all the bulbs, including the interior light bulb, and tried again. The fuse blew again. I have another hazard switch and tried it. same thing, fuse blew! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

On the hazzard switch remove the red wire off terminal 49 and install a new fuse
and pull out the switch if it blows you may have the hazzard switch wired wrong.
If it does not blow the fuse, pull out the flasher and reconnect the red wire on the
hazzard switch if it blows the fuse you have a short in that red wire.

PS did you check the blue/white wire that goes to the turn signal indicator bulbs?
If it grounded you will blow that fuse.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 19 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #53

I did what you said and the fuse only blew when I plugged the red wire back in. Looks like I need to trace that red wire!

thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 19 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #54

doesn't that red wire run up to the relay? I'm thinking about cutting the rubber mount off the relay wires and see what they look like... I did find a bare spot on the blue/white wire coming from the relay. I think it goes to the tach?
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 19 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #55

I cut off the rubber grommet from the relay and all the connections and plugged them back in. fuse still blew. I traced the blue/white wire up to the tach and pulled it out of the harness. There was a small spot where the wire was rubbed down. I put another fuse in and made sure the blue/white wire was away from any metal and not touching #31 on the relay. fuse still blew! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 19 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #56

904SVO

Here's the brake down on the wires to the flasher relay, Pin#49 Red wire comming from em switch #49, Pin31 Brown wire goes to ground, Pin#K Blue/white wire that
goes to the turn signal indicator bulbs and Pin#49a Black/green which goes to 49a
on em switch and to one side of the Brake lamp bulb in the gas gauge
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 19 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #57

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

It's a real bummer that this issue has been plaguing you so long. I redrew the turn signal portion of the schematic and simplified it a bit so it is easier to see the important connections.

Bare with me as I familiarize myself with this circuit. There's basically 4 components involved:

1) 4-Way Flasher Switch
2) Turn Signal Switch
3) Flasher Relay
4) Light bulbs

Power comes to this circuit through either fuse 9 or 11 depending on whether the 4-way flasher switch is active. Fuse 9 is switched power; that is, it is powered only when the ignition switch is ON. Fuse 11 is powered all the time. The 4-way switch is shown in the OFF position.

When the 4-way switch is pulled, power comes from Fuse 11.

12V power then goes to the Flasher relay on the RED wire; pins on both 4-way switch and flasher relay are #49. The flasher relay sends 12V power to the turn signal switch and the 4-way flasher switch on pin #49a.

When there is a load on the flasher relay pin #49a, it will click on and off, thus blinking the lights. A load is placed on this pin when either the 4-way flasher switch is pulled or the turn signal stalk is put in the left or right position. The load is the turn signal light bulbs.

TESTING THE CIRCUITS
If I were to walk up to your car right now to help you, this is what I would do the following in this order. You may have done some of these already. One of these steps will fail and thus you will come closer to isolating the issue. These steps will not solve the issue, just isolate it.

1) Check the wiring as shown below. Look at each component and make sure each colored wire is connected to the pin numbers shown below. The relays and switches have these pin numbers embossed by each pin.

2) If all connections look correct, then start to isolate each part of the circuit one by one. Follow each of the following steps assuming each is ok. If any of the measurements show trouble, you have found the issue; stop and investigate.

3) Start with the switch pins 15-30-49 of the 4-way flasher switch. This is a very simple circuit. 12V power to pin 49 comes from 15 (Fuse 9 with ignition switch ON) or from pin 30 (Fuse 11 with ignition switch ON or OFF). Pull the RED wire off of the the 4-way flasher switch pin 49. Turn on ignition and measure 12V from pin 49 to ground. Turn off ignition and measure 0V from pin 49 to ground. If this is ok, then this part of the circuit is ok. Pull the 4-way flasher switch and again measure 12V from pin 49 to ground.

4) Turn off ignition, turn off 4-way flasher switch. Replace the RED wire on pin 49 on the 4-way flasher switch.

5) Pull the RED wire off of the flasher relay pin 49. Measure the RED wire to ground. With the ignition switch ON, measure 12V. Turn off ignition and measure 0V from RED wire to ground. With the 4-way flasher switch pulled, measure 12V. If OK here, the RED wire to pin 49 is ok. Turn off ignition and push in 4-way flasher switch. Replace the RED wire to pin 49 of the flasher relay.

6) Pull the wires off of pin 49a of the flasher relay. Measure the pin 49a to ground. With the ignition switch ON, measure 12V. With the 4-way flasher switch pulled, measure 12V. If OK here, the flasher relay is ok. Turn off ignition and push in 4-way flasher switch. Replace the wires to pin 49a of the flasher relay.

7) Check 4-way flasher switch: Pull the R and L wires from the switch. This removes the lights from the circuit. Pull the switch and measure 12V from R to ground and L to ground. This will test all parts of the 4-way flasher switch.

8) Check the light bulb wiring: Remove all the light bulbs; front and rear bulbs and the dash indicator bulbs. Pull the wire off of pin 49a of the flasher relay. With ignition off, 4-way flasher switch off, and turn signal off, measure resistance (ohms) from the pulled wire to ground. This must be an open circuit. The only path to ground through this wire are the bulbs. If this is ok, then wires to the 4-way flasher and to the turn signal switch are ok.

9) With the wire on pin 49a of the flasher relay still pulled off, put turn signal to the left and measure resistance (ohms) the pulled wire to ground. This must be an open circuit.

10) With the wire on pin 49a of the flasher relay still pulled off, put turn signal to the right and measure resistance (ohms) the pulled wire to ground. This must be an open circuit.

Which one of these steps fail?

If none of these fail, replace the wire on pin 49a of the flasher relay. Turn ignition on and try the turn signals. Try the 4-way flasher switch.

If things are still ok, replace ONE bulb, any bulb then try the 4-way flasher switch and the turn signal switch. Continue replacing one bulb at a time and retry the turn signals.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 20 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #58

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Same circuit as previous post except circuit elements are rearranged so current flows downhill and wiring is simplified. Also added pictorial relays in the flasher relay.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Sep 21 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 16 2009, 04:20 PM) *

on the flasher relay (Red wire) also check that there is no power on #31 (Brown wire) if you have voltage there your ground wire is bad. Do this with the key off
and 4 ways on.

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 08:31 PM) *

My 4-ways flash ....... only the LH siganl doesn't work ........ I will do some DMMing with that awesome schematic that was posted ........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 21 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #60

904SVO

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Sep 21 2009, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 16 2009, 04:20 PM) *

and 4 ways on.

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 08:31 PM) *

My 4-ways flash ....... only the LH siganl doesn't work ........ I will do some DMMing with that awesome schematic that was posted ........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Are you talking about the LH signal in the tack or the bulbs on the outside ( left side)?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:45 PM