Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still no turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
silverteener
We'll..

I got another hazard switch today and still have no turn signals. I have replaced the turn signal lever and put a new relay in. I also checked the light bulbs and they are 1157's. I found a ground under the dash above the fuse box and it is tight. This thing is really starting a piss me off. I'm thinking it's going back on jackstands til next year. I'm at a lose and there is no one around here to take it too. Any more suggestions? It's a 72 that I would like to ar15.gif right now!
type47
Only suggestions I can make are to find places in the wiring where you can apply 12 V to see if things operate; for example, take a spare 12 V car battery and ground the - and apply +12 V to a connector (lets pretend there is one in the front of the trunk) and see if the lights work. If they do, then go forward toward the fuse box and recheck. I'm having to do something similar with a Vanagon I have where the turn signals and wipers don't work. I verify that the lights work from the turn signal switch back to the lights, then go forward. I found a disconnected ground wire and now have wipers. I also thought maybe the turn signal and wiper switches didn't work but saved $ by not buying a part for a part still working.
orange914
get a diagram and trace power from the fuse up, wire by wire.

if your not familiar with this get a good test light (for visual), or better yet a volt meter (for acual voltage drop).

ground and check your voltage (or test w/ light) at fuse (example 12.5v or lights up). locate where this wire go's to next. check the voltage or test with light. keep going wire by wire and component by component.

note; make sure ALL the fuses are in and good. these cars do strange electrical things with fuse issues

good luck beerchug.gif
silverteener
trying to work on this again. I had an exta fuse panel and some of my connections were corroded so I clean it up and swapped panels. I also have a new relay in. I got a used hazard switch and put it in and nothing. Actually when I pulled it to see if the hazards would work it blew fuse 11 with the new hazard switch. I cleaned up my old one but and put it back in but no luck. Now i'm studying up on wiring diagrams to try to trace things. I'm not good at electrical so anymore advise would be great. I do have a multimeter but I really don't know how to use it. I'm wondering why that fuse blew? I have good bulbs in but I still need to clean all their electrical connections. I hate this stuff. In my part of the world I have about 2 months of driving left before it's stored for the winter and I'm running out of time. guess I could just use hand signals. Can anyone refresh my memory on those biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
904svo
Let me know the results of this test, with key off and 4 way flasher on what bulbs light or flash? PS,the flasher should blink.
silverteener

came home for lunch so I could try it but I don't get any light on the hazard switch with the car off. No clicking and no outer lights either. What's next!!! I do have a blown #7 fuse that I'm going to replace tonight.

Thanks

Scott
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 22 2009, 12:12 PM) *

I'm at a lose and there is no one around here to take it too. Any more suggestions? It's a 72 that I would like to ar15.gif right now!

Have you talked with Brad Mayeur over at 914LTD? 309-694-1797.

He is about 1 1/2 hours away from you in East Peroia IL
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 28 2009, 09:50 AM) *

came home for lunch so I could try it but I don't get any light on the hazard switch with the car off. No clicking and no outer lights either. What's next!!! I do have a blown #7 fuse that I'm going to replace tonight.

Thanks

Scott

Check BOTH SIDES of fuse #9 that powers the flasher when the 4 way is pull out.
let me know.
silverteener
I didn't get any volts from either side on #9. I did on 10 just to make sure I was doing it right. I checked with the key off and the 4 way pulled out.
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 28 2009, 04:06 PM) *

I didn't get any volts from either side on #9. I did on 10 just to make sure I was doing it right. I checked with the key off and the 4 way pulled out.

My mistake it should be fuse #11 check it.
silverteener
on the top I got 12v but the bottom was sparking and barely had anything. Then the fuse blew!
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 28 2009, 06:12 PM) *

on the top I got 12v but the bottom was sparking and barely had anything. Then the fuse blew!

Sounds like you have a short in the light circuit.
Remove ALL the light bulbs, insert a new fuse
and check again, if you have voltage insert the bulbs one at a time
and see if they work. You might find a bad socket or a shorted socket.
silverteener
I took all the bulbs out and put a new fuse in and it started to arc little at the bottom when I turned the flasher on. I was trying to get a reading at the bottom and the fuse blew. I'm out of fuses so I'll get more today. I had another fuse board so last night I cleaned it up and moved the connections to the new board. maybe I mixed up these 2?? would it hurt anything to switch them 2 and try it just to see. I thought I had them all correct but you never know.
904svo
You have a short in the circuit, goto to your auto store a buy a 3157 lamp.
You then twist the leads coming out of the bulb. Use clip leads to connect
these leads to the # 11 fuse the bulb will be use as a indicator to find your short.
The bulb will glow if there is a short by checking your connections you should be
able to find the short. Fuse #11 powers the interior light,4 ways and buzzer circuit
(if equipped) and the clock if you have the console. I would check the interior light
light circuit first as this wiring get shorted from the seats. When you clear the short
the bulb should go out.

Hope you find your short.
silverteener
I have a 3157 bulb but i'm confused on how to run the test. do I hook up the bulb to to panel with the fuse in #11.

"The bulb will glow if there is a short by checking your connections you should be
able to find the short". I'm not sure exactly how to do this either.

I did take all the bulbs out again, with them all out and a good fuse in, once I pull the hazard switch the fuse blows.
silverteener
I forgot you said it runs the interior light. I went out and took that bulb out, put a new fuse in, can pulled the hazard switch and the fuse did not blow. I still don't know how to fix it but maybe it is in the interior light. Am I looking for a bare wire or something?
silverteener
Where does the interior light ground. I traced the wires on pelican and it goes to ground connection point A. Does anyone know which one is A
jt914-6
According to my diagram, the interior light grounds in the engine compartment.
orange914
i eally dont understand it but i've seen weak grounds take out fuses (twice). redundant grounds will never hurt a 40 year old car I.M.O.

mike
silverteener
I cleaned that ground up and put the interior bulb in and pulled the hazard switch and it didn't blow the fuse. So I put all the bulbs back in and pulled the hazard switch but the lights still won't work. the hazard switch doesn't blink or click. I started it to see if my turn signals would work but they don't either.
ws91420
Shouldn't the turn signals be a 1156 single post bulb. The 1157 would be for the brake/tailight
orange914
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Aug 29 2009, 01:19 PM) *

Shouldn't the turn signals be a 1156 single post bulb. The 1157 would be for the brake/tailight

yes, single filement 1156. if you put a 1157 in that socket the tach dies when you step on the brake pedal or apply the e-brake. weird back feed...
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 29 2009, 11:51 AM) *

I cleaned that ground up and put the interior bulb in and pulled the hazard switch and it didn't blow the fuse. So I put all the bulbs back in and pulled the hazard switch but the lights still won't work. the hazard switch doesn't blink or click. I started it to see if my turn signals would work but they don't either.

Remove the bulbs, turn on the hazzard switch. Then installed the bulbs one at a time and see if they blink or if it blows the fuse.
tod914
Try reseating all the connectors into the signal houseings. Make sure the wire lead clips are makeing contact where they should. I had an issue with mine doing something simular. The one contact wanted to wander once I went to put the rubber boot back on. Good luck.
904svo
Try this if you can find the flasher relay check for the following pin#31 should be
grounded,pin#49 should have +12 volts on it when the 4way is pull out. I will guess that pin #31 has a bad ground wire on it, that ground is located under the dash by the fuse panel. Pin31 has a red wire on it, pin49 has a brown wire on it.

Terminal #49 on 4way switch has the Red wire going to the flasher, terminal #30
on switch gets it power from fuse#11.
silverteener
Ok,

I went and got 2 1156's for the front. I rechecked all my connections to make sure they were good. I took all the bulbs out. With the hazard switch on I put the bulbs back in one by one and never got any lights or the hazard switch to light up or click. I also checked the volts at both the switch and the relay and I get 12v. Since I tightened the ground I don't blow any fuses but now I don't get anything. WTF.gif I did notice that if I wiggle the relay it will click sometimes.
904svo
Sounds like you have a bad relay, check this first. With the key off, turn on the left
turn signal= parking lights should be on the left side. Now do the same with the right turn signal=parking lights on right side should be lit. Now turn on the key with
the EM brake handle pull up, the brake lamp should flash on the gauge. If it doesn't
you have a bad turn signal relay.
silverteener
with the key off and the left turn signal on my left turn signal lights up. With the right turn signal on my right marker light is on. blink.gif I would think they would be the same but they are not. With the key on and the EM brake up I have a solid red light and solid green light. no flashing light. I'm guessing I need to try a new relay?
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 29 2009, 08:35 PM) *

with the key off and the left turn signal on my left turn signal lights up. With the right turn signal on my right marker light is on. blink.gif I would think they would be the same but they are not. With the key on and the EM brake up I have a solid red light and solid green light. no flashing light. I'm guessing I need to try a new relay?

Thats what that test proved! You need a new relay!
silverteener

I'll have to order one. sad.gif I think Pelican has them. It will take few days to get to me. I'll let you know when I get it. thanks

Scott beerchug.gif
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 29 2009, 09:21 PM) *

I'll have to order one. sad.gif I think Pelican has them. It will take few days to get to me. I'll let you know when I get it. thanks

Scott beerchug.gif

Goto a AAP store and get EP-26 flasher, a lot cheaper the one thing you will
loose if you have a bulb burn out the turn signal lamp will not stay steady.

EP-26 2-6 lamps flasher
silverteener
I think I found one at O'Reillys. This one is a Buss 726 heavy duty electronic flasher. It has the same ends on it and it is for a 12v system. This should work right?
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 31 2009, 04:15 PM) *

I think I found one at O'Reillys. This one is a Buss 726 heavy duty electronic flasher. It has the same ends on it and it is for a 12v system. This should work right?

Should work, try it.
silverteener

The new relay didn't work. I still have something that puzzles me. With the key off, with the left turn signal on, the left turn signal bulb lights up. with the right turn signal on, the right marker light lights up. confused24.gif
jt914-6
That is "normal". It should do that. That is the european parking feature. Key off, or not in at all, with switch turned left, left front/rear ts lights should be on. Same for the right.
904svo
With the key off left turn signal on, Both front and rear should light. Thia is also true for the right turn signal. I would correct the wiring mistake first, With the key
on turn on your parking lights and made sure the correct bulbs light up. Sound like you have a wiring problem in your light circuit.
drive-ability
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM) *

The new relay didn't work. I still have something that puzzles me. With the key off, with the left turn signal on, the left turn signal bulb lights up. with the right turn signal on, the right marker light lights up. confused24.gif

Hey that's a good thing, the circuit is good !!

MAKE SURE THERE'S POWER AT THE FLASHER !!!!! chair.gif
silverteener
who knows, I'm going to look at it more tonight and see if I can find anything. I have no mechanics around here that can work on this. I am on my own here. I'm learning alot more but seems i'm going backwards instead of forwards on this one.
drive-ability
QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 2 2009, 10:59 AM) *

who knows, I'm going to look at it more tonight and see if I can find anything. I have no mechanics around here that can work on this. I am on my own here. I'm learning alot more but seems i'm going backwards instead of forwards on this one.

The best way is to move down the circuit one step at a time. Check if there's power down at the flasher with the key on..
blazerchad
been dealing with turn signals on my 72 1.7..

flashers work, left side parking (ignition off) works, and no signals..

I decided to pull the steering wheel and inspect, found that one of the contacts on the flasher armature (there are two long copper connectors with two springs behind them) was mashed down, frozen and both springs behind it were disintegrated... trying to find two springs now.. I understand your pain...

water is the enemy.

no to figure out why the fresh air blower doesnt work...
Rod
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 07:59 PM) *

I decided to pull the steering wheel and inspect, found that one of the contacts on the flasher armature (there are two long copper connectors with two springs behind them) was mashed down, frozen and both springs behind it were disintegrated... trying to find two springs now.. I understand your pain...

water is the enemy.

no to figure out why the fresh air blower doesnt work...

The fresh air blower will either be the contacts behind the control levers, they tend to break and/or corrode. Second check that the fan itself will actually turn - they fill up with leaves and can jam solid.

With regards to the OP and the Indicator problem - I was having problem after problem with my indicators they worked (sometimes) until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.
blazerchad
until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.

where to get a new????????
Rod
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 08:24 PM) *

until I got a brand new OE relay, since then it has worked 100%. Worth the expense.

where to get a new????????

I got mine from a Porsche parts supplier here in the UK. Roger Bray restorations iirc.
gothspeed
QUOTE(silverteener @ Aug 31 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Exactly what mine does ..... sad.gif

QUOTE(blazerchad @ Sep 6 2009, 11:59 AM) *

+914 ........ my lights work with the switch on/ignition off as normal ..... but the LH does not 'flash' with the ignition ON ...... sad.gif
904svo
Do the 4 way flashers work? If not, check you have power (12 volts) on pin #49
on the flasher relay (Red wire) also check that there is no power on #31 (Brown wire) if you have voltage there your ground wire is bad. Do this with the key off
and 4 ways on.
silverteener
The 4 ways don't work. I do have 12v at the red wire and nothing at the brown wire. I have another relay ordered from Pelican that should be here Friday. I'm hoping that fixes it but I'm betting it won't!
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The 4 ways don't work. I do have 12v at the red wire and nothing at the brown wire. I have another relay ordered from Pelican that should be here Friday. I'm hoping that fixes it but I'm betting it won't!

Try putting a external ground on the brown wire. I hope that you are measuring
the voltage on the pins on the relay there is just enought room to put a probe
in there.
silverteener
let me try measuring the relay instead of the switch slap.gif
silverteener
I checked on the relay and on 49 I have 12v and on 31 I have nothing. Then I wiggled the relay a little but and the fuse on 11 blew. I'm sure it's in my wiring somewhere!
904svo
QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 16 2009, 08:37 PM) *

I checked on the relay and on 49 I have 12v and on 31 I have nothing. Then I wiggled the relay a little but and the fuse on 11 blew. I'm sure it's in my wiring somewhere!

Going to take a WAG on this now. Remove the turn signal bulbs and the brake
bulb and try it again, I guessing that one of the bulbs may have a short in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.