Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So much for my............
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,676
Region Association: South East States

........little to no rust car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Thought you guys might enjoy this.
This is what got by me because I didn't look hard enough and took the PO's word for a car in good shape.

Looks like I'll really get my wish to practice my welding skills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) Since I found a 2 relay block under the pass. seat with no relays and a big snipped yellow wire that had been connected to its self instead of running through the relay block.....may end up explaining my electrical issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

so off I go to start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 25 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Connecting the two big yellow wires is the standard way to bypass the seat belt interlock system. Nothing weird there.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 25 2009, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

The good news is the floor sections are available to buy and it's far from the hardest cut & weld project to do on these cars.

The bad news is, well, you gotta buy the panels, cut and weld . . . .

It'll be over before you know, good luck.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 25 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

You'll be thankful those holes are there when your passenger passes gas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Easy fix!
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Aug 25 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

Welding is for sissy's, just put about 4" of bondo over the holes like the PO did to mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Thats really not all of it too. The lower firewall cap (that intersects the floor) is rotten too. I can sick my hand through in the corners and in spots along the bottom. That area actually looks like it may be easy to do since its spot welded in. I only hope there's something decent behind it and I don't end up rebuilding the entire car! The center rail under the seat is kinda shot too, man I got duped!
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 25 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #7

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This thread brings something to mind. A lot of us have looked at and passed on cars that had major rust issues, or have at least come in contact with cars that have major rust issues. I know it's buyer beware and for some talented folks rust issues aren't really an issue at all. But wouldn't it be nice to have a record of cars with a description of their last known 'current 'state'? For instance, I came accross a car a couple of years back that the owner said he was planning on selling. He also proudly told me about the many layers of bondo and fiberglass he had used to conceal all of the cars 'issues'. Nice. I keep expecting to see the car on this site for sale, but my guess was that by now he sold it locally.
Probably no way to accomplish it and might not even be the 'right' thing to do. It was just a thought. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

993inNYC, Good luck with the repairs- keep at it, you'll be back on the road in no time and intimately familiar with your car when your done, which is a good thing.
Keep the progress pics coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #8

check this out! this WAS the fix for the area where the rear decklid pull is. It was backed up on the other side and riveted together and "sealed" with something (maybe bondo). Anyone notice what the patch was made of?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 25 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #9

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

had to come off something Porsche after 1976 cause it ain't rusty
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 25 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #10

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Can't say it wasn't a genuine Porsche part!
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 25 2009, 06:55 PM) *

This thread brings something to mind. A lot of us have looked at and passed on cars that had major rust issues, or have at least come in contact with cars that have major rust issues. I know it's buyer beware and for some talented folks rust issues aren't really an issue at all. But wouldn't it be nice to have a record of cars with a description of their last known 'current 'state'? For instance, I came accross a car a couple of years back that the owner said he was planning on selling. He also proudly told me about the many layers of bondo and fiberglass he had used to conceal all of the cars 'issues'. Nice. I keep expecting to see the car on this site for sale, but my guess was that by now he sold it locally.
Probably no way to accomplish it and might not even be the 'right' thing to do. It was just a thought. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

993inNYC, Good luck with the repairs- keep at it, you'll be back on the road in no time and intimately familiar with your car when your done, which is a good thing.
Keep the progress pics coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

You're absolutely right and I should have been more diligent. I agree with the database idea, but who would keep it and who would tell the truth?

Thanks for the words of encouragement. And yes I will be intimate with it, I plan on continuing the stripping so I can get it media blasted. Should have it gutted in the next week. I also have a second motor i may as well get someone started on rebuilding so I can have everything ready when the body is done. I Intend on trying to keep a good record of the "before and afters". I think it will go along way if, when done, I decide to sell it (or any time for that matter). This will definitely test my talents and patience. I'm just glad my other car is a Porsche ......and a cool one at that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 05:44 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 25 2009, 07:40 PM) *

had to come off something Porsche after 1976 cause it ain't rusty

At least it wasn't that China steel crap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think it was a sign of some kind, and feels like aluminum, which would explain it being riveted and not welded in.
Sad part, is some indy Porsche shop in Columbia SC (be careful you guys living nearby) actually had the balls to call this a "fix" and put their name on it...........sad!
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Aug 25 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #13

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

In that glob of wires going to the relay under the pass. seat there is one that is hot with the key on. Can't remember the color. Find it and put some shrink wrap on it and seal it up. The big yellow is the starter solenoid wire. It needs to be as it is. Ripped the seat belt relay out on my '74 six conversion. Also did away with the relay board too.
+Quote Post
veltror
post Aug 25 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,978

Take a look at mine before you start saying yours is rusty....
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Aug 25 2009, 07:52 PM) *

In that glob of wires going to the relay under the pass. seat there is one that is hot with the key on. Can't remember the color. Find it and put some shrink wrap on it and seal it up. The big yellow is the starter solenoid wire. It needs to be as it is. Ripped the seat belt relay out on my '74 six conversion. Also did away with the relay board too.

Ah ha! see now this is info I need! That would explain why I found a relay wire tied in the engine bay that I couldn't explain until I pulled the fuse and had no starter. So they bypassed the relay under the seat (probably 'cuase it was getting wet!) and routed the starter wire to a safer location.........very good thank you for that! Now what is the big hot one for (who's color you don't recall)?
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(veltror @ Aug 25 2009, 07:55 PM) *

Take a look at mine before you start saying yours is rusty....

must be something to do with yellow 75's :banghead: WOW you have some work to do too, hope mine's not that bad once I media blast it!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 25 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #17

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 25 2009, 07:59 PM) *

Ah ha! see now this is info I need! That would explain why I found a relay wire tied in the engine bay that I couldn't explain until I pulled the fuse and had no starter. So they bypassed the relay under the seat (probably 'cuase it was getting wet!) and routed the starter wire to a safer location.........very good thank you for that! Now what is the big hot one for (who's color you don't recall)?

No, that is not what you found.

First, the wiring under the passenger seat goes to what is called a "logic circuit" and it was never a relay.
It was a one year only safety feature on these cars.
It was activated by the pressure switches in the seats..
Seat belt interlock also.
It activated a light on the dash, and also disabled the starter.
It did get wet and corroded.
The only thing you need to do is remove the two yellow wires from the logic circuit and crimp them together, with waterproof heat shrink tubing.
That is a hot starter wire that has 12 VDC only when the key is in the start position.

Any relay you found in the engine bay, or under the car near the starter is a "fix" called a hot start relay. It was an old ford starter relay monkey rigged to provide more power to the starter when the car gets hot and the electrical connections get weaker. Its not really a fix...its a masking bandaid.
Fix the wiring and ground correctly and remove the hot start relay, everything will be fine...no need to add one more piece of wiring that is not stock and harded to troubleshoot.

BTW....you wont find alot of mercy here for your rust...that car looks easy to fix...
Go find a thread titled "digging into hell"
That is a major rebuild...

Im from the Northeast...we love salt up here....so our car rust out ALOT...

Just take it in stride and dream of the day you are done and driving.

Rich
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 25 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #18

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sucks that you found this but a good thing you found the rust now. My car looked perfect when I bought it but as I was taking out the interior for race preping it I found the exact thing you did.

It is a simple fix and really can be corrected without replacing the whole floor.

I ended up puting in an Engman kit in and had the floor Rhino lined after it was sprayed with Zero Rust.

Here is some pics of what mine looked like and how it looks now. Hope it gives you some ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 25 2009, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(993inNC @ Aug 25 2009, 07:59 PM) *

No, that is not what you found.

First, the wiring under the passenger seat goes to what is called a "logic circuit" and it was never a relay.
It was a one year only safety feature on these cars.
It was activated by the pressure switches in the seats..
Seat belt interlock also.
It activated a light on the dash, and also disabled the starter.
It did get wet and corroded.
The only thing you need to do is remove the two yellow wires from the logic circuit and crimp them together, with waterproof heat shrink tubing.
That is a hot starter wire that has 12 VDC only when the key is in the start position.

Any relay you found in the engine bay, or under the car near the starter is a "fix" called a hot start relay. It was an old ford starter relay monkey rigged to provide more power to the starter when the car gets hot and the electrical connections get weaker. Its not really a fix...its a masking bandaid.
Fix the wiring and ground correctly and remove the hot start relay, everything will be fine...no need to add one more piece of wiring that is not stock and harded to troubleshoot.

BTW....you wont find alot of mercy here for your rust...that car looks easy to fix...
Go find a thread titled "digging into hell"
That is a major rebuild...

Im from the Northeast...we love salt up here....so our car rust out ALOT...

Just take it in stride and dream of the day you are done and driving.

Rich

So you mean the wires in Phoenix's post (the ones wrapped in electric tape) were all for a disable feature and never had relays plugged into the block? I don't have that one in his pic that is off by itself.

And I looked at veltror's post.............holy crap! I'll stop whining now, that s.o.b. would have been crushed if mine! He could buy a nice 993 for what he's going to have in just body repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Aug 25 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 25 2009, 08:23 PM) *

Sucks that you found this but a good thing you found the rust now. My car looked perfect when I bought it but as I was taking out the interior for race preping it I found the exact thing you did.

It is a simple fix and really can be corrected without replacing the whole floor.

I ended up puting in an Engman kit in and had the floor Rhino lined after it was sprayed with Zero Rust.

Here is some pics of what mine looked like and how it looks now. Hope it gives you some ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

was asking what an engman kit was, found it and can't delete this post
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:03 AM